Asylum plan 'very concerning' and would break international law - UN refugee agency

Social Media

Apparently freedom of movement across Europe is widely endorsed 

Brits want mutual free movement restored. 79% of us in a recent Omnisis poll believe we should have freedom to travel and work across Europe (88% after removing ‘don’t know’), and 73% believe, there should be ‘mutual free movement’ (84% after removing ‘don’t know’).

Brexit did not end free movement, as Priti Patel famously claimed. Rather, this government ended UK participation in mutual free movement, meaning that UK citizens lose all their free movement rights in over 30 countries that subscribe to it – and the citizens of all those other countries keep their access to over 30 countries on free movement terms – just not the UK. That’s quite a raw deal for ordinary Brits.

Now we are limited to staying no longer than 90 days in any of the EU’s member states or anywhere in the single market area apart from Ireland.

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/news/brexit/mutual-free-movement-for-uk-and-eu-citizens-supported-by-up-to-84-of-brits-in-stunning-new-poll/

Originally, Brexiteers wanted to cherry pick the free movement of goods and services  and not the free movement of people (although obv they should still be allowed to retire to Marbella).

For us  Brit’s getting free movement on a whole continent in exchange for us getting free movement on one and a bit island doesn’t seem to be a very fair deal ?

Screenshot_20230319_095448_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, bannork said:

after hearing she is the first Asian migrant to be returned to Africa 

Bannork is posting a tweet by Simon Sharma who reposted a tweet by Debra Shakespeare of Suella Braverman laughing and Debra is appalled , and I am confused .

Who and where an I supposed to reply to ? 

Also Suella Braverman was born in the U.K , she isn't an immigrant from Asia

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 3:34 PM, sandyf said:

If you had paid attention you would be aware my original post blamed the UN for not bringing the affected nations together, and the UK like the rest of the EU stuck their head in the sand.  As I also said probably down to a lack of interest by the UN with the US being so far from the problem.

Had the US been where Europe is things would have gone in a totally different direction.

Given that the US southern border is a fiasco, I don't see what difference the US getting involved would make.