Asylum plan 'very concerning' and would break international law - UN refugee agency

Social Media

The government's proposed asylum law is "very concerning" and would block even those with a compelling claim, the United Nations refugee agency has said.

The UNHCR's representative to the UK, Vicky Tennant, told the BBC the measure would break international law and was not needed to stop Channel crossings.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has said he is "up for the fight" to bring in the law and overcome any legal challenges.

Labour has said the plans risk "making the chaos worse".

On Tuesday, the government outlined a new law which would effectively ban anyone who arrives via an illegal route from claiming asylum in the UK.

Anyone found to have entered the country illegally will also be blocked from returning or claiming British citizenship in future.

The measure is part of attempts to address an increase in the number of people arriving in the UK via Channel crossings each year, which rose from around 300 in 2018 to more than 45,000 in 2022.

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2023 at 4:15 PM, Social Media said:

The UNHCR's representative to the UK, Vicky Tennant, told the BBC the measure would break international law and was not needed to stop Channel crossings.

Cool. So what is needed to stop illegal channel crossings and people trafficking ?

On 3/8/2023 at 4:15 PM, Social Media said:

The government's proposed asylum law is "very concerning" and would block even those with a compelling claim,

Under the new law, only children, the sick or those at a “real risk of serious and irreversible harm” will be allowed to claim asylum.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/how-uk-govt-plans-stop-migrants-arriving-by-boat-2023-03-07/#:~:text=Under the new law%2C only,remove them in the courts.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

22 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

OK, so you agree that the UK are correct to clamp down on bogus refugees ?

Also , I was asking you a question and thus it wasn't a strawman argument .

12 000 migrants arrived in the UK by boat last year who came from Albania , and Albania is a safe Country and they have no need to flee there and seek asylum in the UK 

No, I haven't agreed anything.  Stop trying to manipulate what I said.

You were using rhetorical devices to present a strawman argument.  Unsurprisingly lots of people see when you do that.

The tories (and you apparently) are trying to leverage immigration to deflect from their dreadful performance and disgusting policies.  

An election is coming...

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The issue here is immigration to the UK and this isn't about the current Governments performance as a whole , that is just deflection .

So what is your opinion ?

You agree that the UK needs an immigration policy and you also seem to be contradictorily saying that the UK  should allow anyone to enter by boat and avoiding the immigration process of obtaining a visa .

How the Tories are performing generally is a different issue

The failure of the present UK government to provide a satisfactory response to the problem at hand is absolutely the issue.  Their other failures simply compound the problem of an incompetent spiteful government lashing out to try and fend off its forthcoming demise.  As for your repeated attempts to put words in my mouth- I have told you to stop already, why would you keep on?

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its the people who abuse the system who ruin it for genuine refugees .

Its the economic migrants who have cause this clampdown and now genuine refugees will suffer 

There hasn’t been a clampdown, there’s been an announcement of a clampdown.

This Government has failed to control immigration despite having had over twelve years in power to do something about it.

• Like 1

We have ‘donated’ £240 million to France to help stop the boat crossings which have increased and £140 million to Rwanda where not 1 refugee has been sent albeit they can only take 200. It was supposed to discourage boat crossings but it hasn’t, lawyers and hoteliers are making millions. I don’t see this new law changing anything, it’s unfixable, lots of desperate people out there and the system can’t cope them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaLa said:

Just remind me again what law the UK are breaking. Got it, not to aid genuine refugees.

The UK government are being warned that they could be breaking international law by imposing a law that restricts others from breaking the law by entering the UK unlawfully.

I spend a lot of time and money obtaining and conforming to the rules of entering another country and indeed also the one I hold nationality. My wife does similar. I am a firm supporter of regulated travel to another country be it either temporary or permanent.

I have a problem with illegal activities. Maybe the UN could come up with an answer rather than siding with an illegal activity, maybe have a word with the other member countries that are part of the problem.

It’s not for the UN to come up with an answer for the immigration problem that the Tory Government have failed to fix after over 12 years in government.

Expecting a Government to obey the law isn’t a big ask.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s not for the UN to come up with an answer for the immigration problem that the Tory Government have failed to fix after over 12 years in government.

Expecting a Government to obey the law isn’t a big ask.

Around 300 crossed the channel in 2016, last year it was nearly 23000, the government just sat back and let it happen.

The old adage closing the gate after the horse has bolted

• Love It 1

20 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Around 300 crossed the channel in 2016, last year it was nearly 23000, the government just sat back and let it happen.

The old adage closing the gate after the horse has bolted

So yes, immigration is a Tory Government failure.

Taking back control hasn’t worked out has it?!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Apply for a visa is the only legal way in their own country as was stated then apply for Asylum when you get to the U.K if the visa is granted.The people who are crossing the channel are paying substantial amounts of money to the traffickers so can well afford the fares.

The majority of visa claims probably would be refused as they couldn’t provide claims they were being persecuted more so the young Albanians even Iranians. The other stumbling blocks would be they are no facilities to apply for a visa in their home country although it can all be done online, if granted they might not be allowed to board an aircraft by their own authorities.

My biggest concern from statistics is the majority of boat people are male and between the ages of 25 to 35 years of age.

Unfortunately genuine refugees haven’t the facilities to even apply for a visa or funds for a channel crossing.

The majority of migrants are always male, no matter what the reason for migration.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1