Whoops! Avoiding cultural faux pas when visiting Thailand

snoop1130

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

What about western guys that wear a crucifix on their necklaces? Are they primitive too? 

Don't they believe wearing a crucifix or some other religious medal is going to protect them? 

No, it's sometimes just jewellery, sometimes a display of their faith. Not an amulet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

And be aware they almost everything is a loss of face in their weird world.  the most ridiculous things going,  which are no connection to a loss of face will be to them.   and they are only buddhists when it suits them.          apart from that Thais are the same as us???? ????  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, proton said:

It can be argued a feudal society is primitive and Thai society is certainly feudal. Add to that the widespread belief in ghosts, spirits and magic and it's little more than primitive with a veneer of concrete and neon. 

I disagree, though I can see your comment drew approval from members in the same way as my original one drew emoji condemnation.  Thai society is developing and I don't disagree that some elements of feudalism still exist.  I think you can see feudal elements in some of the societies we would hold up to be 'non-primitive'.  There are also quite primitive individuals in Thailand, but there are plenty who are not, again like any 'non-primitive' culture.  Is Thailand lower on the curve than some other places?  For sure, but isn't that why we love it?  

It seems to me that the concrete veneer you mention is essential for any country these days to be even considered as non-primitive, but it is there in Thailand- decent roads, water, electricity, some form of social security and health care and so on.

The food thing in restaurants is funny

It appears the lower you are the less likely you are to say 'Box it up, I'll take it home'

The HiSo's have no problem with this.

My wife straddles the two, low so birth birth but ended up as a teenager in the US, and experienced the lack of the nonsense of Krang Jai culture

She'll happily box up leftovers to take home.

As she's says "I paid for it, I'll eat it where I want"

2 hours ago, Slip said:

I disagree, though I can see your comment drew approval from members in the same way as my original one drew emoji condemnation.  Thai society is developing and I don't disagree that some elements of feudalism still exist.  I think you can see feudal elements in some of the societies we would hold up to be 'non-primitive'.  There are also quite primitive individuals in Thailand, but there are plenty who are not, again like any 'non-primitive' culture.  Is Thailand lower on the curve than some other places?  For sure, but isn't that why we love it?  

It seems to me that the concrete veneer you mention is essential for any country these days to be even considered as non-primitive, but it is there in Thailand- decent roads, water, electricity, some form of social security and health care and so on.

My Thai son straddles all of these 'points'. He won't aske questions in BIg C/Homepro about washing machines, TV's etc because that would be admitting he doesn't have knowledge of these items - sever loss of face.

But with a group of foreigners he behaves like a farang (he speaks excellent English). Or put this another way; he can be 100% Thai or be 100% farang, as needed. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

My Thai son straddles all of these 'points'. He won't aske questions in BIg C/Homepro about washing machines, TV's etc because that would be admitting he doesn't have knowledge of these items - sever loss of face.

But with a group of foreigners he behaves like a farang (he speaks excellent English). Or put this another way; he can be 100% Thai or be 100% farang, as needed. 

'...Thai society is developing ...'

Sure but I suggest it's developing at a different rate in different locations. .

- Many Thai folks in BKK are nowadays more 'international'.

- Many Thai folks in the remote / not so totally remote 'upcountry' areas still live in ancient times, with ancient behaviors and their knowledge of the bigger world is close to zero. Even to the point of on a couple of extreme occasions:

- But don't go too far away from home - you might fall off the end of the world.

- One family member who is adamant that the country just above thailand is Germany.

He's also adamant that German people only eat Thai food, several meals every day.

Thai folks living in Germany don't have to obey the laws of Germany. 

• Haha 1

Back in the Lonely Planet days, they were always exhorting you not to rub a monk's bald head.

I have spent 25 years+ trying to come up with a scenario where that might come up.

Also: 25+ with a nagging desire to really, really rub a monk's bald head -once they put the possibility in my head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, paulikens said:

And the most infuriating part of their culture is telling you/leaving everything to the last minute.      you're not really aware of this till you start working with them.  And by god ! it can wind you up.    

Or living with them!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 7:43 PM, NoDisplayName said:

Gosh, that's just as bad! ????

Elsewhere I've read, and am inclined to agree, that over ordering in a restaurant then leaving alot of it touched but uneaten is done to convey that one can afford to do this or rather the one picking up the tab is. I'm talking food here, all alcohol ordered is always consumed!

16 hours ago, ericthai said:

What about western guys that wear a crucifix on their necklaces? Are they primitive too? 

Don't they believe wearing a crucifix or some other religious medal is going to protect them? 

Don't know if it's still a thing, but long ago back in the states, my relatives had St. Christopher medals hanging on the rear-view mirror.

• Like 1

People posting here should read the guides to exotic cultures (Germany,  Japan, US...) written for Thais.

Whenever Thais ask me for an example of hard-to- understand farang culture I tell them how we would get angry at a drawer that won't open (or car that won't start, a vending machine that doesn't work etc).

I have yet to find a single Thai who understands why anybody would shout at a drawer, kick a car or beat a vending machine. 

Have you ever told a Thai how many Americans and Europeans seriously believe in immaculate conception? 

Obviously, farang are "primitive societies which mix animism and magic with" lack of scientific understanding of furnitures, machines, and human biology, as another poster said.

• Confused 1

On 3/8/2023 at 4:50 PM, snoop1130 said:

Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist country, and Buddhism is deeply ingrained in its customs and traditions.

You could have fooled me.

In all my years of living in Thailand, all I’ve seen is “Bahtism.”

• Haha 2