Over 1.3 Million Air-Pollution Cases So Far This Year

webfact

image.jpeg

Air pollution in Bangkok on Jan. 24, 2023. Photo: Sanook.com

by TNR Staff

THERE were as many as 1,325,838 air-pollution related cases in Thailand during Jan. 1-Mar. 5 this year with the public warned that airborne particles known as PM2.5 could lead to cardiovascular disease and lung cancer while 31,081 people died from exposure to toxic airborne dust in 2019, TV Channel 7 quoted the Public Health Ministry as saying.

Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, the ministry’s permanent secretary, said of 1,325,838 air-pollution cases recorded during this period 196,311 showed up this week, up from 161,839 last week.

This week has also seen a jump in respiratory cases to 583,238, up from 85,910  last week; skin infections soaring to 267,161 cases, up from 35,878 last week; eye infections climbing to 242,805 cases, up from 36,537 last week; and cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases leaping to 208,880 cases, up from 33,413 last week.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/03/08/over-1-3-million-air-pollution-cases-so-far-this-year/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-03-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Tom H said:

8 of 10 stray cats I am feeding each day are coughing. 
I dont care anymore about people so much…

Weather Inversion Layers cold-warm-cold requires a total stop of burning.

Cambodia and Myanmar and Laos are run by idiots.

Thailands fire is reduced this year.

The industry and traffic issues remains open.

Just forbid traffic as you did during covid for some days

3D2EC5EE-F378-46DF-96B5-A53969052232.jpeg

I agree completely, few others understand or realize the significance.

2 hours ago, BayArea said:

In the " Why has Thailand attracted more foreign tourists than Vietnam" thread, some posters claimed the air pollution is so much better than VN. 

Below is the real time air quality around the world:

Air Pollution in World: Real-time Air Quality Index Visual Map (aqicn.org)

I have spent much time on the eastern side of Vietnam, the air is by far some of the cleanest in SEA.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ozz1 said:

Yet they still continue to burn the crops the mindset of these people is staggering

I read in the last week that circa 90% of all hotspots in Thailand were in National Parks or in protected areas. Burning in those areas is not suggestive of crop burning. A local "expert" in my area is adamant a majority of burning is done by rural dwellers trying to promote mushroom growth, he constantly posts picture on Chiang Mai Facebook to confirm his theory. Am unsure.

I do know the inversion layer plays a much bigger role than most people realize but many won't hear of it, in their minds the problem is stupid farmers and corrupt and incompetent government, it's gets tiresome and boring listening to it after a while .

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, the ministry’s permanent secretary, said of 1,325,838 air-pollution cases recorded during this period 196,311 showed up this week, up from 161,839 last week.

Thanks for counting, you must be tired now...

1 minute ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

What's kinda sad is the lip service disingenuous *civil servants " give to this topic. Nowadays, it's actually funny bc you absolutely know that nothing will be done after the annual proclamation and subsequent follow ups.

We're on it!! ????????

I think my first forum discussion with expats and westerners in Thailand on pollution was about  twenty years ago, I'm struggling to see what has changed since then. The pollution levels have become much worse, that is certain. AQI reporting is now much more extensive, twenty years ago there was only 5, pollution measuring stations in the North, 4 fixed, one mobile. Public awareness and interest has increased substantially also, local burning bans are also enacted each year, in my amphur we're forbidden to burn anything from 14 February onwards....that's about four years old. There's also agreement that cross border airborne pollution is part of the equation, twenty years ago it was dismissed out of hand. The pace of change is very very very slow.

42 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I read in the last week that circa 90% of all hotspots in Thailand were in National Parks or in protected areas. Burning in those areas is not suggestive of crop burning. A local "expert" in my area is adamant a majority of burning is done by rural dwellers trying to promote mushroom growth, he constantly posts picture on Chiang Mai Facebook to confirm his theory. Am unsure.

I do know the inversion layer plays a much bigger role than most people realize but many won't hear of it, in their minds the problem is stupid farmers and corrupt and incompetent government, it's gets tiresome and boring listening to it after a while .

Sigh...... blaming smog on weather patterns? You really dont get it, dont you?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Sigh...... blaming smog on weather patterns? You really dont get it, dont you?

Oh I get it OK but it's clear you don't understand weather phenomena such as inversion layers and their effect on air quality. A dozen or so posts further back is an explanation, with pictures, read it and learn!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sungod said:

May want to consider the lack of monitoring in Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos.

If we exclude the Miramar which does not communicate, Laos and Vietnam on the map that I have indicated the situation is much better, why ?

• Thumbs Up 1