New climate study raises alarm for Asian Megacities

webfact

36 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Given that most cities and arable land lie near the sea it's definitely a problem and that problem needs to be fixed before a tipping point arrives in the very near future. Scientists know there's only one viable solution to the problem and it isn't building sea walls. 

Leftist hysteria notwithstanding, what might that solution be?  

1 hour ago, Red Forever said:

"Sea level rise is trivial"! Tell that to the islanders of archipelagos in the Solomon Sea and other areas in the South Western Pacific.

Straight out of the Trump handbook on climate change denial.

There are always examples of islands sinking due to geological reasons, and/or erosion taking place due to poor management, such as cutting down trees on the shore line, or removing mangroves, but the data show that, on average, the islands in the Pacific are growing in size.

Check out the following article.

"Using rich collections of Landsat imagery, this study analyses changes in land area on 221 atolls in the Indian and Pacific Oceans. Results show that, between 2000 and 2017, the total land area on these atolls has increased by 61.74 km2 (6.1 %) from 1007.60 km2 to 1069.35 km2."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2213305421000059

• Like 1

The billionaires driving this insanity have beachfront properties globally.

If the sea levels were expected to rise significantly?  You would not be able to insure your beach-front property no less acquire title insurance on the property.  And yet?  Billionaires, Millionaires, and their government clones who do their bidding have - beach-front properties and properties in the low-lying areas they we are being expressly told are going to be flooded.

If a city like Bangkok was going to be under water in the next 20, 30, 50, 100 years - there would be a MASS Exodus. 

But there isn't.

If there was really a existential threat of sea level rises, the insurance companies would be first in line to shut down all forms of insurance for these properties. You would see all the cities near the coasts literally discriminate as businesses, private entities, as well as public entities would not be able to insure their properties.  And yet?  No problem

Hello? Wake up clones.

Edited by CALSinCM

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Are you saying it's not true, and if it's proven to be true, would you change your position?

Thought not, carry on. 

No, I'm saying I want you to comply with the rules and provide a link. I know coastal erosion exists. I an skeptical that the erosion affecting that property is coastal erosion and challenging you to prove it, however, I see you are dodging it as usual. 

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, I'm saying I want you to comply with the rules and provide a link.

A link to what? 

I know coastal erosion exists. I an skeptical that the erosion affecting that property is coastal erosion and challenging you to prove it...

Why don't you follow the rules and provide a link showing that the the erosion is caused by climate change. 

however, I see you are dodging it as usual. 

What am I dodging? 

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

A link to what? 

Your claim that Obama's Hawaiian residence had erosion issues. 

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why don't you follow the rules and provide a link showing that the the erosion is caused by climate change. 

What am I dodging? 

Done many, many, many times.

You're dodging providing the requested link to support your claim that Obama's residence is having erosion issues. 

Edited by ozimoron

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

If the left (not the typical moronic lemmings, but the leadership) really believed that fossil-fuel was driving catastrophic climate change they would be promoting nuclear energy. 

Many are. More would be but for the huge issues related with nuclear power. Massive amounts of water required for cooling, political and geological issues, requirement to protect waste storage for millennia. 

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I never claimed that Obama's Hawaiian residence had erosion issues. Please try to follow along. 

Sorry, it was Hawaiian. My mistake. Not sure why you're buying into an argument about not providing a link as required by the forum rules. 

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Now I can tell the Thai GF that sea levels are rising and I cannot build a home on her property.  Build me house I take care you forever.  Sorry sea levels are rising... :)))

Tell her you'll build an Ark instead...but you'll have to put 2 girls of every age from 18 to 30 on the boat so you can repopulate the world...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Sorry, it was Hawaiian. My mistake.

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Not sure why you're buying into an argument about not providing a link as required by the forum rules. 

Because I think the likes are largely useless, and the people reading them don't seem to actually read them.

Incidentally, the Obama property that Hawaiin claimed was eroding was not the new residence. 

• Like 1

The problem with articles like this one is that they imply we can change our ways today, right the ship, return to normal temperatures and avert the oncoming changes before 2100.  The truth is it's already far too late for that to happen.  Even if the entire planet went net zero today it would take two to three hundred years before we would return to pre-industrial greenhouse gas levels.  A reduction in global temperatures could follow that.  How soon will the planet be net zero?

The best thing we could do is to prepare for the inevitable.  We can migrate from coastal areas and adapt to higher temperatures.  It's quite apparent that ancient civilizations did that over and over.  I'm afraid we'll use all the investment that requires on a fruitless attempt to convert to a low carbon but high cost energy scheme.  It won't matter much to me.  I've only got 20 or 30 years left.

3 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

The problem with articles like this one is that they imply we can change our ways today, right the ship, return to normal temperatures and avert the oncoming changes before 2100.  The truth is it's already far too late for that to happen.  Even if the entire planet went net zero today it would take two to three hundred years before we would return to pre-industrial greenhouse gas levels.  A reduction in global temperatures could follow that.  How soon will the planet be net zero?

The best thing we could do is to prepare for the inevitable.  We can migrate from coastal areas and adapt to higher temperatures.  It's quite apparent that ancient civilizations did that over and over.  I'm afraid we'll use all the investment that requires on a fruitless attempt to convert to a low carbon but high cost energy scheme.  It won't matter much to me.  I've only got 20 or 30 years left.

The problem is people who think it's already too late so why do anything? Ask young people how they feel about that attitude. The less we do the worse it gets. 

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

The problem is people who think it's already too late so why do anything? Ask young people how they feel about that attitude. The less we do the worse it gets. 

Another set of youngsters who must follow Greta....wait I know thats not true......

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Hasn't this been known for some time..... particularly Bangkok, Dhaka, Jakarta, happening outside Asia too, Lagos, Venice....

Dont forget Miami, all the owners of the media companies are buying water front properties whilst telling us we are all going to drown. People still swallowing this garbage is the funniest part. 

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I am sure the mega polluter of the world China will freely give them enough cash to compensate them for the climate change 

China and other developing nations should send all the manufacturing back to Europe and the USA and let them deal with the costs, pollution and global warming industry creates.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

I wonder who is responsible for the pollution and global warming and the desire and entitlement to own stuff, consume, take holidays, control other species, drive nice cars etc...

But lets focus on solutions by alternative green sources whilst the manufacture of those sources is creating more pollution and global warming.

Annual-World-Population-since-10-thousan

Edited by userabcd

7 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Global warming cult sponsored by the people from the Trump derangement syndrome. What nonsense, the earth has been warming and cooling for millions of years.

Why is it so difficult for human caused climate change denialists to understand the issue of rate of increase. If someone were to choose between two investments of equal soundness, but one offered a 1% return and the other offered a 10% return would you have difficulty choosing between the two? It's the current rate of change that is of concern, not simply the fact that the average temperatures of the atmosphere and oceans are rising.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, placeholder said:

Why is it so difficult for human caused climate change denialists to understand the issue of rate of increase. If someone were to choose between two investments of equal soundness, but one offered a 1% return and the other offered a 10% return would you have difficulty choosing between the two? It's the current rate of change that is of concern, not simply the fact that the average temperatures of the atmosphere and oceans are rising.

Good question, which I'll try to answer.

The answer is found in the history of past changes in climate, which the alarmists can't be bothered to investigate because it's so much easier to accept what the mainstream media reports and/or what so-called scientific authorities, who are actually political activists, report.

For example, whenever there is an extreme weather event, whether flood, drought, hurricane, or heatwave, how often have you heard on the news that it is the worst event since records began, or it is unprecedented?

If you search for the actual, real, historical records on the internet, you'll usually find that the extreme weather event is not the worst on record, as reported, and is sometimes even the 6th, 7th or 8th worst on record.

However, the mainstream media does not want to report the facts if they go against the alarmist agenda and propoganda. Bad news sells better than good news.

Regarding sea level rise, it's generally accepted in the sciences of Geology, that around 20,000 years ago, at the end of the last Glacial Maximum, sea levels were at least 120 metres lower than they are today. Some studies report 130 metres lower.

Those who are able to do basic maths should be able to calculate that a 120 metre rise over 20,000 years is an average rise of 6mm per year. However, for most of the time since the industrial revolution began, sea level were rising very slowly, at a rate of 1 to 2mm per year. Currently, the rate is estimated to be around 3mm per year, just half of the avarge rate over the past 20,000 years. How very alarming! ????

The attached graph of past sea level rise is from the following site.
https://www.e-education.psu.edu/earth107/node/1506

Past sea levels.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But in a few thousand years, helped by a new astronomical configuration, the climate warmed up, the ice melted, and forests replaced the frozen steppes that covered Europe, where, in places, a handful of humans hunting bison, horses and antelope, survived. The sea level has been constantly rising since then, with a spike 14,500 years ago when the waters rose 20 metres in 500 years. Melting ice released massive quantities of water, causing sea levels to rise by as much as 40 millimetres a year. 

https://www.monacooceanweek.org/en/when-the-science-of-the-past-sheds-light-on-our-future/