Clamped and ticket

Hi,

I received a ticket for parking somewhere that I shouldn't have.

I need to go to the traffic police station in Chiang Mai to pay the fine tomorrow. However, I don't have a Thai car license.

Will they ask to see my license when I try to pay the fine. If so, what are the repercussions of not having a license.

I am reading everything from a simple 200b fine to up to 10,000b and/or 3 months imprisonment?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, gascooker said:

Anybody going to provide any answers to the question or are people just going to moralize?

I paid a fine there once ( wife no seat belt ) and they did not ask to see a license. Just the ticket from the traffic cop. That was a day wasted of our holiday as on that day it was jam packed.

• Thanks 1

Years ago I had a car accident in Lampang. Had only one of this international driver licenses you can buy online. Used this license also for the insurance company (Mittare). 

Either had any problems with the police nor the insurance company. Accident was my mistake. "Missed" a stop sign. Damage was 225000 Baht. 

Seems that I was ???? lucky. 

Edited by PeachCH
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gascooker said:

Stop splitting hairs. Yes it is wrong, you’ve  never done anything wrong? Never committed a minor misdemeanor?

stop splitting hairs officer they clearly died from the impact of the road rather than my front bumper meeting their teeth. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SidJames said:

The car was parked in the wrong spot, this is not a criminal offence but rather a civil offense breaking local parking bylaws.

The owner of the car is liable for the fine.

They have no idea who parked it there & it does not matter unless the car was stolen & dumped there so you are only responsible for paying the fine.

A vast swathe of people driving here don't have licenses which both the police & government know by the amount vehicles on the road & the amount of licences issued.

You will need your passport & visa stamp if you are going to pay & that is a more important issue, I assume that is all in order or you wouldn't be able to get a DL in the first place.

Good luck & ignore the many people who post on here that seem to live in glass houses.

You only need the ticket on order to pay the fine. Nothing else. As was mentioned by @stevenl anyone can pay the fine. The police officer is not going to ask any questions about who you are and why you are paying.

As for the amount vehicles on the road & the amount of licences issued - there's no relation between those numbers anywhere in the world. How can those numbers be related? Some people have a license but don't own a car, some own more than 1 vehicle, and of course there are many vehicles owned by companies

I got a ticket for passing a red light in the middle of Hua Hin. A former neighbor came to bring me the ticket as I  had changed my living place in the meantime. I went to the police station but they send me away as paying the ticket is done at the post office. I went there and paid but was not asked for my driving licence. As a warning: Respect the red light of the main crossing on Phetkasem Road of roads 77 and 55 as it is heavily armed with CCTV and many reports in the meantime.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gascooker said:

Stop splitting hairs. Yes it is wrong, you’ve  never done anything wrong? Never committed a minor misdemeanor?

It's not splitting hairs. Forgetting your wallet at home is a mistake, driving without a license is not. 

No, I've broken any law and I am pure as the driven snow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gascooker said:

Thanks for the helpful replies. 

I hadn’t realized this forum was full of such fine upstanding citizens who’ve never once broken the law.

I’m guessing nobody here has ever had a heavy night and then drove their car the following morning, quite likely being over the drink drive limit.

Nobody here has ever barfined a working girl for the purposes of prostitution.

Never jaywalked, taken stationery home from the office without thinking. I must admit, I did get some laughs reading this thread.

Keep telling yourselves you’re perfect. Maybe somebody will believe you.

????????????

There is no prostitution in Thailand.

Guilty on all other counts.

Learn one thing  -  don't drive that vehicle again until you have your DL at the end of March.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1