France Donates Over a Million Doses of Booster Vaccine to Thailand

snoop1130

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The original versions of the vaccines are still available for free to expats here, generally through Thai public hospitals and certain medical clinics.

The part that's unknown for now, AFAIK, is what's become of the newer bivalent vaccines that recently have been donated to Thailand. I haven't seen ANYTHING from the TH government about that.

Generally, the original vaccine boosters are recommended anytime 5-6 months after a prior dose. Thailand, AFAIK, doesn't have any published policy yet on the timing for getting the newer bivalent vaccines, because they haven't been making them available, thus far.

But in the U.S., a booster with the newer bivalent vaccine is recommended anytime two months or more after a person's last prior COVID vax shot. And the U.S. is moving toward pretty much using the newer bivalent vaccines exclusively for everyone, and phasing out the original ones.

The UK just announced plans for a spring COVID booster campaign there with the newer vaccines. But unlike the U.S., the UK is only aiming its government sponsored vaccinations at those age 75 and above, people with weak immune systems and other high-risk individuals.

Thanks. I had my 4th then it all seemed to  fade out. Im here in LOS. My UK folks seemed to follow  the same patten

Edited by DrCosmix
  • Love It 1

Here's the detail about the recent South Korean donation of the newer bivalent Pfizer vaccines.

Korea Provides Thailand Additional Covid-19 Vaccine

FRIDAY, February 17, 2023

The Republic of Korea decided to provide 501,120 doses of Pfizer, the BA.1 bivalent Covid-19 vaccine, to help Thailand fight variants more effectively. The vaccines reach Thailand on Feb 15th.

This is the second time that Korea provides vaccines to Thailand, after the delivery of 470,000 doses of AstraZeneca in October 2021.

This donation is expected to contribute to mitigating the worldwide Covid-19 crisis and to promote the two countries further cooperation, marking the 65th anniversary of Korea-Thailand bilateral ties.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40024966

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrCosmix said:

Yeah I feel we are not getting enough info on when and how to get the next shot / booster and in what  context its required. I dont want a debate with the  anti vax flat earth  squad on this forum thread- another time  and place for that debate.

I agree the Flat Earth debate is over.....We should all know this living at Sea-Level...Level... 

Re the donation of the newer bivalent Pfizer vaccines by South Korea...

I now see there was a second article Feb. 18 in the BKK Post, which we cannot link or quote here under the forum's rules, that says the Thai MoPH planned to begin rolling out the newer vaccines first to what they call the high risk "608" group -- those age 60 and above and those with 8 various chronic health conditions -- during March.

Also included will be medical workers and so-called front-line government personnel, which in the past has meant police and others. But the article also says members of the general public outside the abovementioned groups also will be able to receive the newer vaccines upon request. But nowhere in the article is there any mention made or distinction between eligibility for Thais vs resident expats.

The Post article also mentions the follow-on vaccine donation by France, which kind of suggests those might also be the newer bivalent vaccines, but doesn't specifically say so. The article also quotes the head of Thailand's Department of Disease Control as saying Thailand now has an adequate supply of COVID vaccines and is "unlikely" to make further purchases.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's a shame the OP article doesn't seem to clarify whether the France donated Moderna doses are the older, original version or the newer bivalent version specifically tailored against the current Omicron strains.

The separate recent donation by South Korea was, if memory serves, the newer bivalent doses... But.. unless I missed something, there's been NADA from the Thai government since they received the SK doses of just how and where they're going to be used.

Yes, there are dates published when you can get a jab in Bkk as long as you are older than 12 ????

Was nr. Victory Monument. 

• Thanks 1

Just found this posted earlier today from the TH government re them now offering the new bivalent Pfizer COVID vaccines at a government facility near Victory Monument for those who haven't had a booster for the past 4 months or longer.

The new vaccines are gonna be out there for expats as well...but the offer below appears to only be valid through March 14, which would be this coming Tuesday. (Though I'd assume, but can't guarantee, they'll offer other locations after that...)

330384139.jpg.6724d91726c297f106e4cccdb7b9dcc1.jpg

"The Institute of Dermatology (IOD) in Bangkok is now offering the bivalent COVID-19 vaccine from Pfizer as a booster shot.

The vaccine is free of charge for Thai citizens and foreign nationals who reside long-term in Thailand. Visitors can also purchase the vaccine for 1,380 baht per dose.

The IOD offers the bivalent COVID-19 vaccine for Monday through Saturday, from 9AM to 3PM, until March 14. Reservations can be made one day prior to the appointment, while walk-ins are accepted during the service hours.

(more)

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/pfbid02YXj9WKQUiznvkfJ6X1HQK5kECUybZFiGYi7Dwj1tWD8HrRk17jcDmigQ92EnLzc3l

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The government's post above says they will accept walk-ins.

But by adding the IOD's LINE address -- @SKINTHAILAND  -- my wife got a weblink to an online appointments system for their COVID vaccines. But it's entirely in Thai language, no English.... And, it shows no hour specific appointment times for tomorrow/Saturday, Monday or Tuesday...

However, I was able to schedule a specific time appointment for Wednesday in their system and there were other times available on subsequent days through next Saturday -- even though the govt's Facebook post above says the program there only will run thru Tues., March 14. Which considering they only announced it today, seems like that date reference may have been some kind of mistake.

At any rate, here's the link to their online appointments website:

https://covid19.iod.go.th/vaccine/

Not very expat friendly, to say the least....

There's one section in there where they ask for the person's ID number. From the Thai explanation posted there, it seems to say that if a foreigner has never received a Thai government issued COVID vaccine before, they should use their passport number. But if the person has received a Thai government issued COVID vaccine before, they should enter the separate ID number listed on their prior government vaccination certificates, which may begin with "600000" and then have seven more digits thereafter.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But if the person has received a Thai government issued COVID vaccine before, they should enter the separate ID number listed on their prior government vaccination certificates, which typically begin "600000" and then have seven more digits thereafter.

The ID number they gave to me for vaccination has 13 digits and the first one is a zero. 

5 minutes ago, asf6 said:

The ID number they gave to me for vaccination has 13 digits and the first one is a zero. 

They may have different numbering systems for what type/class of foreigner the person is.... I just know I'm here on a retirement extension, and I got the 600000+ version ID number on all my MoPH vax certificates...

I think they also refer to it as a "CID" number....

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They may have different numbering systems for what type/class of foreigner the person is.... I just know I'm here on a retirement extension, and I got the 600000+ version ID number on all my MoPH vax certificates...

I think they also refer to it as a "CID" number....

My understanding was that the number had to have 13 digits to match the Thai ID card system of numbering. The computer system wouldn't accept anything else. My passport number only had nine digits so they created a new number for me with 13 digits. 

13 minutes ago, asf6 said:

My understanding was that the number had to have 13 digits to match the Thai ID card system of numbering. The computer system wouldn't accept anything else. My passport number only had nine digits so they created a new number for me with 13 digits. 

You'll note that my 60000+ number also totals 13 digits.

prior government vaccination certificates, which may begin with "600000" and then have seven more digits thereafter.