Gary Lineker told to step back from presenting Match of the Day

Scott

51 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I think it's pretty obvious that this is simply a ploy or ruse to get Gary a knighthood. He already has an OBE, but the powers-that-be want him in the Lords.

‘The powers that be’.

Are those the same powers that be who had him censored?

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

I heard viewing figures up 500,000 - Brits always find a way of making our voices heard amid the woke noise. If I was back in Uk I'd have done the same - put on MOTD to show support without overpaid Lineker.

I trust you would have bought a TV license first.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘The powers that be’.

Are those the same poets that be who had him censored?

Could be right there CH.

I think the move is to get more ex-footballers (and others sports) in the Lords, before the big call to dissolve it comes up. Then it can be argued that even footballers can earn their place in the Upper House.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Actually I disagree. I find Lineker a bit smarmy (and not because of what I know about his views and his private life). I find Wright to be almost childish in his analysis and Shearer is a failed manager, very repetitive and full of the usual football cliches.

Personally I am not surprised the viewing figures went up when they threw their toys out of the pram. It seems I'm not the only one who finds their spiel irritating. 

The viewing figures went up compared to the week before (but were still lower than the average MOTD audience) as many just tuned in to see how it would be done.  I doubt there would be as many next week, if it had continued in that format, but fortunately we'll never know! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Gary Lineker has responded on Twitter:

A final thought: however difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn’t compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It’s heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you.

We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people. Thank you.

Pure lass Gary, thank you too.

The problem with that is, currently 42% of those arriving by boat are not fleeing war or persecution. 

In addition, 95% of Albanians arriving are male. I didn't know females are immune to war and persecution. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/factsheet-small-boat-crossings-since-july-2022/factsheet-small-boat-crossings-since-july-2022

Edited by youreavinalaff

7 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The problem with that is, currently 42% of those arriving by boat are not fleeing war or persecution. 

In addition, 95% of Albanians arriving are male. I didn't know females are immune to war and persecution. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/factsheet-small-boat-crossings-since-july-2022/factsheet-small-boat-crossings-since-july-2022

That’s not a problem with Lineker’s statement, it’s a problem with the Government’s loss of control over the UK borders.

Or to put it more simply for you.

It’s not Lineker who has failed to control the borders, he doesn’t control the Home Office, Border Force, the Royal Navy, the Police Force or the National Budget.

The Government do, and they’ve failed on immigration and control of the borders.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That’s not a problem with Lineker’s statement, it’s a problem with the Government’s loss of control over the UK borders.

It’s not Lineker who has failed to control the borders, he doesn’t control the Home Office, Border Force, the Royal Navy, the Police Force or the National Budget.

The Government do, and they’ve failed on immigration and control of the borders.

They have failed in attempts to halt illegal immigration because of opposition to their plans.

If, those opposing would simply say "Ok. Those arriving are not from war torn countries can be sent straight back", that would immediately reduce illegal immigration by 42%. As per the figures quoted and substantiated by the link.

Edited by youreavinalaff

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

They have failed in attempts to halt illegal immigration because of opposition to their plans.

If, those opposing would simply say "Ok. Those arriving are not from war torn countries can be sent straight back", that would immediately reduce illegal immigration by 42%. As per the figures quoted and substantiated by the link.

No, they’ve failed because their hair brained schemes failed.

A Government with a massive majority in Parliament is not being held back by any opposition.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

It has suited the Tories not to have this threatened invasion of 100 million resolved so they can keep rushing down to Dover and say we are in the middle of a crisis whenever a distraction is needed.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

It has suited the Tories not to have this threatened invasion of 100 million resolved so they can keep rushing down to Dover and say we are in the middle of a crisis whenever a distraction is needed.

That's so funny I just spat my coffee out.

Nothing to do with human rights groups, UN, the High Court?

I'm off to get another coffee.

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Try to think of a better argument for when you come back. 

Focus on who is in Government and supposedly in control with a massive Parliament majority.

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Nothing whatsoever,,,,...if that were the case what are doing now that is really going to solve the problem?.....it's all hyperbole for the masses.....

Reported to today......up swing in Conservative voters support for government following announcement of 'Stop the boats'.....just more red meat.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Nothing whatsoever,,,,...if that were the case what are doing now that is really going to solve the problem?.....it's all hyperbole for the masses.....

Reported to today......up swing in Conservative voters support for government following announcement of 'Stop the boats'.....just more red meat.

Nothing will happen before the election, the Government will continue to fail on immigration and Reform UK will benefit from the Government promoting their own failure on immigration.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

None whatsoever?

I think you should read up on UNHCR and ECHR.

Edited by youreavinalaff

30 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If your lot were in control there would be no problem, your Corby & Abbott would be on the beach waving the welcome flag.....:welcomeani:

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I think you should do likewise, paying particular attention to the UK being a signatory.

Exactly right. I'm glad you agree that there are outside influences getting in the way of the UK governments attempts to control immigration. I'm  happy to agree with you on that.

It's a shame the laws appear to be a blanket law covering all arrivals and not just those seeking legitimate refuge.

Seems the next government will also have the same issues. I'll look forward to your comments on that at a later date.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1