'We're asking for help to bring our boy home to Manchester so he's not alone as he fights for his life'

webfact

7 minutes ago, Bazerino said:

Yeh me too, I've seen a family of tourists on a scooter with a small child, no helmets I really don't get it......

Especially since so many expats on the forum are quite vocal about wearing them.   I see a lot of tanned farangs on their scooters, so assuming they are expats living here.  Besides the ones I see every week here.  I'm surprised I see so many when at Hua Hin, as I'd think more enforcement would make a difference ... apparently not.

Surely there's helmet laws in the home country of the tourist.   I also don't get why people do here what they won't or can't do at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm from Manchester and a ManU fan myself so I have a certain sympathy with this "lad". But really a 'tourist looking for work', was he driving while on the phone, did he have insurance, why not helmet, 'out for drinks with the lads'?????? 

You can call me heartless, but I will not be sending any donations....he sounds like so many, a victim of his own stupidity (note I say 'sounds like' because I don't know the lad). I feel sorry for the family in this case. 

Edited by Pedrogaz
  • Like 2

I feel bad for him, and I dont wish that upon anyone. He certainly did take unneccessary risks tho, especially driving at that time of day - with almost certainly several car and truck drivers either high or drunk cruising on the roads. 

I dont trust the insurance companies myself, but I do trust my helmet. 

23 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

... And they are covered by the Compulsory Third Party Personal Insurance, that all the Drivers have I think. ... My Grand daughter just used this system, and it is not bad for an Over Crowded Poorer Country. ... (Well one that are lucky to have a well organized, and the Cheap Government Hospital and just Great, but very poorly paid Doctors and Nurses to go with it. ...

I get my Skin Cancers cut off in our Government hospital on Monday. I must figure out a Direct way of being able to Donate to them !!! ??? 

Buy them dinner after their shift.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Buy them dinner after their shift.

Some of the Nurses were suggesting that I could Propose to them, during another Skin operation that was having there you Know !!! ... Like TIT, ...  like one of the best Course of Operation, distractions that I have ever had !!! ... And they all were not to bad either !!!

Like at Least Thai's have really good senses of Humor if that are in the Position to be able to show it I think !!! ???

As a Brit, or anyone from a western foreign country, it is almost certain he would have worn a helmet by habit, but knew, here in Thailand, can ride around with impunity from the law and if he doesn't have an accident, he will be fine.

He has been unlucky and foolish and these factors have seriously affected the consequences.

This man didn't deserve his current predicament but it is understandable it has to come to that.

It is interesting that even the time putting on a helmet would have placed him in a slightly different location and a different time and that particular accident would not have occurred; So go most accidents - in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MarcelV said:

No insurance, no license, no helmet, on his phone, with a few drinks behind him and way too many kids.

Nah, no sympathy from me.

Must have a well paying job in the UK that he can afford to pay child support and still go on holidays.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Some of the Nurses were suggesting that I could Propose to them, during another Skin operation that was having there you Know !!! ... Like TIT, ...  like one of the best Course of Operation, distractions that I have ever had !!! ... And they all were not to bad either !!!

Like at Least Thai's have really good senses of Humor if that are in the Position to be able to show it I think !!! ???

I had a minor surgical procedure, down below at our local government hospital. The head Nurse invited 3 young 1st Year students to watch. They didn't bat an eye. Unlike me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, quake said:

You need to look under a rock. 

They are well in their A/C boxes around here ! ? ...

... Hence you really do not know if they ARE actually in there ? or Not. ?

.... Though well, I went through a red Light on Sukhumvit, and still have not got a ticket, ? (Yet ? ) ... So well, Yes, ... I am Not actually  Complaining about this. ? ... Like the less Police men you see !!! The Better right ??? 

Just now, norfolkandchance said:

I had a minor surgical procedure, down below at our local government hospital. The head Nurse invited 3 young 1st Year students to watch. They didn't bat an eye. Unlike me.

It is getting like that in the Immigration Departments now also !!! ... Like TIT ...and it is NOT To Bad !!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ignore it said:

Bummer.

But...

No respect for his own life.

No pity from me.

Good luck dude.

Next time be more responsible, wear a helmet, be mindful you got kids and a fam. Don't drink and drive. Don't go Larkin about when you should be home looking for work.

'Next time be more responsible'  Err, I don't think you quite got the story.

"Good luck dude."  Come on... I don't think you really mean that, do you?

• Sad 1

Sorry to have to repeat the most dangerous formula - driving in foreign country comes with risks of unknown to local roads/ culture  + without valid license in foreign country + driving without helmet (against the local law) + likely intoxicated (even if slightly). 
No insurance company - even if he had one - will pay. It’s a reckless disregard of responsibilities to all the people who love him n now they will need to be in debt to bring him back …sigh 

• Like 1

Quite Probably it probably was Pretty much all his, still being in the Mind set of a phone conversation.

So he WAS not taking the sort of Notice of the other Traffic, that he should have been !!! ... Like on a motor bike you Must be aware, of what every one behind you is doing also, if you ask me ... (And touch wood, one that is still alive.)

Back in 2005 a motorbike pulled out in front of me. I was on a big bike (1000cc), hit the woman, knocked unconscious etc. Anyway, woke up in the Government Hospital in Nathon in a mixed ward. Transferred to ICU in Bangkok Samui and had operations there, put on a ventilator etc etc. Cost, over 100k per day, I paid, I had to by borrowing from friends/family etc all of whom were repaid by the way. The thought of somebody else paying for MY accident never crossed my mind. It seems that nowadays people, mostly Brits in my experience seem to think that they have an entitlement.

If you can afford to travel, you can afford to insure yourself! Simple as.

Not an iota of sympathy from me I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NemoH said:

Sorry to have to repeat the most dangerous formula - driving in foreign country comes with risks of unknown to local roads/ culture  + without valid license in foreign country + driving without helmet (against the local law) + likely intoxicated (even if slightly). 
No insurance company - even if he had one - will pay. It’s a reckless disregard of responsibilities to all the people who love him n now they will need to be in debt to bring him back …sigh 

Yes, sound like it will be a lot cheaper after they disconnect the Life support Equipment ??? 

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How is that relevant?  Presumably he's divorced or separated and his ex has custody of their children.  

Yes, BUT the child support agency in the UK officially cannot get any money out of anyone when they have a long term visa for living in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1