'We're asking for help to bring our boy home to Manchester so he's not alone as he fights for his life'

webfact

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a valid point... I wonder if proportionately this does occur to more Brits than other nationalities, or, if its simply picked-up because the AN news team are predominantly English speaking and reporting on news already reported on in English (i.e. by British Media). 

From the insurance (or lack of it) point of view Brits believe their needs will always be taken care of by their National Health Service.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hellohello123 said:

Assuming he had insurance, would it cover eveyrthing from treatment back home , transport back home?

Depends on what was in the insurance, some do not include medivac or transport back home,sometimes its an addition that you need to pay extra for,  but the problem here is, it appears from the OP that he was intoxicated and had no helmet, which would probably invalidate any insurance, if he had  it?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I don't know, but if my child/son/daughter was in this situation I'd go and sell a kidney or sell my car to help him rather than beg strangers for donations, but this is me.

Firstly,you cannot sell an organ in UK ,it’s illegal. And I’ll go out on a limb and predict the family don’t own a car with that sort of value nor a house with equity that could be released. I’m betting rental..

Basically , he’s switched to 'holiday brain" mode which suddenly disregards all sensible precautions and thoughts of consequences .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

I had a minor surgical procedure, down below at our local government hospital. The head Nurse invited 3 young 1st Year students to watch. They didn't bat an eye. Unlike me.

I had a procedure like that in Narathiwat, down south. There were three Muslim girls wearing headscarves present. I felt rather uncomfortable in that state.????

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I don't want to rehash the usual travel insurance stuff, which is pretty relevant.

But in the article is states 'brain function is now minimal'

Does that mean he's essentially brain dead?

I'm not sure, but I think anyone in a coma and on life support with minimal brain function is a situation where the doctor usually consults the family. But then in this case the family isn't in Thailand. A difficult situation where even if transport home could be financed he might not survive the trip. Sad state of affairs.

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think the Brits, especially the younger ones, with their NHS kinda forget that in most countries it's not a totally free system and there is a price to pay.

I feel so sorry for the family, but the tales of youngsters in Thailand, little reckless, in a country renown for terrible traffic accidents are so common, and the subsequent 'GoFundme' accounts someone needs to set up a serious ad campaign before these guys get on a plane to tell them the risks

Brits go skiing in Austria, hurt themselves & are surprised that hospitals want money up front. Many can't even be bothered to carry their EHIC card to at least get patched up to be able to fly home for treatment. 

• Thanks 1

This is a tragic situation. Enough abipout the blame game, there needs to be a positive solution...

There are plenty, of "I-told-you-so"-s and also people blaming the truck.

None of this is constructive or contributes to the situation in any way.

With millions of foreigners visiting Samui every year this sort of thing is statistically inevitable.

I find it hard to believe that various embassies have no facilities for getting these people back home.

The people may end up in debt for the rest of their lives,but at least they'll  have a " rest of their life"

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So is there any proof of the claims or did he just crash because he was possibly intoxicated and talking on the phone while not paying attention to what he was doing.  Been looking for more information on the accident but for the life of me do not see it anywhere.  If there is proof of him being hit by a truck then where is that vehicle and driver? 

Doesn't seem that you were looking very hard when you report that "because he was .... talking on the phone", in common with many other posts. If you take the trouble to read the article from the Manchester Evening News you will find that he had stopped talking on the phone, but it was still connected in his pocket. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

It amazes me the amount (per capita) of farang tourist & expats ride without a helmet.  One guy locally has it strapped to his bike, but not his head.   I'd guess 75-90% of farangs I see here, don't where a helmet.

And what I find the strangest is that tourists come to Thailand, a country they certainly know is the most dangerous on Earth for driving a motorbike, as supported by the number of deaths of Thai people on motorbikes.

And then these tourists, who would certainly all claim to have a finely tuned brain, hop on motorbikes and copy exactly what Thais do on the roads to get themselves killed in numbers that would merit a world prize.

-High powered motorbikes

-Reckless driving

-No helmets

-On the phone

-Feeling quite good (sic)

I am out of words to express how I feel about this...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BestB said:

Sad, but this means not only he was riding no helmet but was also on the phone.

Putting that aside, and no travel insurance, what i do not understand is why truck insurance is not paying?  Why police are not forcing truck owner to pay?

Also ""He is away with his girlfriend but had been out with some of the lads for a drink and told her he wouldn't be long until he was back."

So, if we are to be cynical about it - he was riding a motor bike with no helmet, and had been on the phone moments before the crash, and had previously been having "a drink" with the lads (which was probably more than "a drink")

Or to be non cynical, he was riding a bike, had been on the phone before setting off, which he had inadvertently left switched on and was in his pocket, had previously had one drink with the lads, and was later ploughed into by a truck.

Take your pick!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Sad, but this means not only he was riding no helmet but was also on the phone.

Putting that aside, and no travel insurance, what i do not understand is why truck insurance is not paying?  Why police are not forcing truck owner to pay?

T I T !!!