'We're asking for help to bring our boy home to Manchester so he's not alone as he fights for his life'

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Dad-of-five Jay Bridgehouse, 32, from Stockport visited the south Asian country for the once in a lifetime trip to 'chase his dreams' and look for work.....

..........Jay had forgotten to put the phone down to his girlfriend Naomi moments before,

Father of 5 at 32 years old and looking for a job in Thailand?  Think Naomi knows the real reason. 

So sorry for the guy.  Think his 5 kids need to start a gofundme 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

These sort of stories so often seem to be about the British. Do other nationalities get in the same situation, in a hospital, unable to pay, and seeking to get home?  Or is it we just don't see stories in Chinese, Russian, or French language media? 

So your a Banker

• Like 1

I have been coming, working, living in Thailand for quite some time, and the consensus is people leave their what brains they have back in their homeland. It's too easy to get caught up not thinking of of circumstances when you are drinking. And looking for work.......drinking.....you know the story.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You do not pay that money , its just your own money that is kept in your bank account 

At little to no interest. If you could see the return I got on £20k invested in my SIPP and ISA which I would otherwise have forfeited (and especially with current inflation) that’s a very expensive £20k lying idle.

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Why doesn't the Thai GOV' make it compulsory to show full insurance cover when renting a motorbike ?

Why doesn't the Thai GOV' make it compulsory to wear a safety helmet when riding a rented motorbike ?

Ah bless! Do you actually live here ? You do understand it’s already the law to wear a helmet .. that’s EVERYONE! 

And even if he’d had insurance his actions would have invalidated the cover on several counts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

At little to no interest. If you could see the return I got on £20k invested in my SIPP and ISA which I would otherwise have forfeited (and especially with current inflation) that’s a very expensive £20k lying idle.

You would have gotton a return of about 1-2 % on a ISA , which isn't much different to the Thai bank interest rates , although if you invest now in ISA's , you could get up to 5 %

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Ah bless! Do you actually live here ? You do understand it’s already the law to wear a helmet .. that’s EVERYONE! 

And even if he’d had insurance his actions would have invalidated the cover on several counts.

I do live here ...  but don't ride a motorbike thankfully,   or ride a jetski,  or go parasailing,  or enter BTS platforms,  or go to Ko Tao ,  or go to full moon parties,  or go to Khosaon road, or go to walking street late at night,   it's all just too damn dangerous for my liking  !!      haha

Edited by steven100
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You would have gotton a return of about 1-2 % on a ISA , which isn't much different to the Thai bank interest rates , although if you invest now in ISA's , you could get up to 5 %

Cash ISAs are a mugs game. Mine are invested in a broad range of global investments trusts. It’s been MUCH , Much more than 1% .. and I’ve escaped tax liabilities..

3 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Cash ISAs are a mugs game. Mine are invested in a broad range of global investments trusts. It’s been MUCH , Much more than 1% .. and I’ve escaped tax liabilities..

Yeah, 

Top 10 most-popular investment trusts: January 2023
  • FCSS. 2.20%
  • HGT. 2.32%
  • MYI. 1.64%
  • MRCH. 1.52%
  • RCP. 2.48%
  • CTY. 1.88%
  • BRWM. 1.48%
  • UKW. 0.06%
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I do live here ...  but don't ride a motorbike thankfully,   or ride a jetski,  or go parasailing,  or enter BTS platforms,  or go to Ko Tao ,  or go to full moon parties,  or go to Khosaon road, or go to walking street late at night,   it's all just too damn dangerous for my liking  !!      haha

Why are you not at the 'Debate' in Korat tonight. There missing you.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Ginner said:

Thai citizens living and working in the UK have access to FREE medical care.

Only if they have progressed as far as ILR or if they work in health care or for NHS.

Those on spouse visa or FLR need to pay in excess of £1600 for NHS cover every 2.5 years.

Edited by puchooay

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I don't want to rehash the usual travel insurance stuff, which is pretty relevant.

But in the article is states 'brain function is now minimal'

Does that mean he's essentially brain dead?

Insurance will not cover riding while intoxicated.  And likely he had no motorcycle license, so another reason to deny Insurance payout. Poor guy, but he was a reckless fool.

There is terrible dramatic irony that his job a year back was selling funeral planning, and he also had his own life insurance company for 1 year registered at the UK's Company House.

It's not quite as ironic as the fire station burning down... but it's pretty close.

• Haha 1