Advice sought on best small hatchbacks/cars

Toolong

6 minutes ago, damen said:

No Mazda. Repair time require more than usual. No spare part avaible in Thailand espically in rural area. Take toyota yaris. best resale value. 

I found Toyota in Issan had the best dealer network. Others including Honda not so good. Personally I would look at the slightly larger and more expensive Toyota Corolla Cross than a small hatch as it has a ground clearance comparable with the Honda WR-V. The Yaris even the Yaris Cross, now unavailable,  has a limited ground clearance. The Honda WR-V was only launched here last few days so availability might be problematic.

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

Yes, I noticed that height off-ground too. And like you, we get floods here.

I used to think that people who liked to sit higher up on the road were often just being pretentious, but whether or not that's true, I know now there are definite, practical advantages to it and I prefer it myself now!????

As soon as I'm able, I'll get down to the local Honda dealer and see if they have one to look over. My wife is certainly interested. ????

It will certainly feel higher when driving buy you certainly get used to it. I find in the crv I have a good view of whats going on around me, and no fear when driving though floods (carefully, of course). Call the local honda dealer and ask them when/if the wrv is available for a test drive. onl in very heavy floods would you need somethign like a ford everest or fortuner. But at those depths I'd probably turn arnoud!

Both fortuner and everest give you 225mm ground clearance, the Honda WR-V gives you 220mm  ground clearance for Toyota Corolla Cross is 161mm

new yaris is 135mm

fortuner is 29 inches longer than the  Honda WR-V

This site is for European Cars only 

Search new cars sorted by dimensions and boot space

https://www.automobiledimension.com/car-search-engine.php#

taking the WRX LENGTH 4,060mm WIDTH 1780mm HEIGHT 1608mm and GROUND CLEARANCE 220mm 

and looking for something similar Suzuki XL7: 4,450 x 1,775 x 1,710 mm, minimum distance to the ground 200 mm

slightly longer and ground clearance not as good as Wr-V

https://www.headlightmag.com/first-impression-suzuki-xl7-1-5glx/

Edited by vinny41
add

I'm already put off from the WR-V when I see the seats (front and especially rear ones) from pictures or vdo reviews. They look like they're made from stone or wood. Also the car is designed for and made in Indonesia. Guess that says a lot about the built quality, interior and comfort.

The point about higher ground clearance and possible flooding is not valid.

Does one really think a few centimeters make a big difference but loosing a lot of comfort on paved roads.

I'd definitely would stay away from the WR-V and consider the City Hatchback.

I have a scion xB here in the states. I like it more than other cars I have that cost me 3 times more. Bought it used. Volumes of space to carry things.  From what I understand, they still sell them new in that part of the world.  Used is fine tho..

Short wheel base, driver rides higher, can't tip it over if she tried. lolz

Edited by Cult of the Sun
  • Confused 1

We did alot of research, before buying our Mazda CX-30. It is the best small SUV on the market, for the money, in my opinion. Handles great, looks good and is fun to drive. Well appointed, with a Bose sound system that sounds excellent. 1.2 million baht. Worth it. The Honda HRV and the Toyota Cross are utterly boring by comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We did alot of research, before buying our Mazda CX-30. It is the best small SUV on the market, for the money, in my opinion. Handles great, looks good and is fun to drive. Well appointed, with a Bose sound system that sounds excellent. 1.2 million baht. Worth it. The Honda HRV and the Toyota Cross are utterly boring by comparison. 

Absolutely agree. Mazda CX30 is a great car, and the HRV or Cross can’t hold a candle to it. I think he might want smaller though, so the CX3 which I drive myself, might fit the bill. I’ll be changing later in the year to a CX30, or if I can stretch my budget to the CX5 2.5 Turbo, which is the one I drool over … but Mazda all the way, a cut above the other Japanese cars, IMO

Looks like all Mazda mention failed miserably when it comes to ground clearance compared with  the Honda WR-V at 220mm

CX30  ground clearance 175 mm.
CX3   ground clearance: 160 mm.
 2    ground clearance     152 mm

At 220mm clearance only Large SUV and pickups will have higher ground clearance

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Looks like all Mazda mention failed miserably when it comes to ground clearance compared with  the Honda WR-V at 220mm

Our lads Mazda 2 has the factory spoiler on it, has a problem with not ripping it off on driveways....????

10 hours ago, damen said:

No Mazda. Repair time require more than usual. No spare part avaible in Thailand espically in rural area. Take toyota yaris. best resale value. 

Well, damen, your comment does make me think. While I can't myself be sure if the point about repair time & availabilty of spare parts is really the way it (you could be right), I do kind of agree with the idea that with Toyota those problems would be less likely to arise, ie repair time & spare parts. 

Resale value better? Again, you could be right. 

Thanks for the advice. ????

Another vote for visiting the Motor Show. Book the Novotel Impact, stay a night or two, free parking and free shuttle that drops you at the door. The shuttle also make the rounds to some of the other shops and eats around there as well.  About 2K a night and the hotel is pretty decent. 

Hoping to see the Gen 3 Fortuner, the new Land Rover, the new Crown and the new Gen 4 Swift....

10 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I found Toyota in Issan had the best dealer network. Others including Honda not so good. Personally I would look at the slightly larger and more expensive Toyota Corolla Cross than a small hatch as it has a ground clearance comparable with the Honda WR-V. The Yaris even the Yaris Cross, now unavailable,  has a limited ground clearance. The Honda WR-V was only launched here last few days so availability might be problematic.

Certainly where I am in Isaan, your dealership comparison does seem to indeed be the case. Toyota place...shiny, landscaped to the max, all bells & whistles! Honda place.....small, tatty, half-hearted kind of vibe, as if Head Office in Bkk has told them they'll be shutting down the place & laying off workers! I even feel sorry for them. 

It interesting Loslobo, and of course pure coincidence, that I kind of considered the Corolla Cross earlier today, for the first time, before reading your comment. Bit larger than ideal, and not a thing of great beauty or flair (at least IMO), but when it comes to pedigree, Corollas have it in spades, right? ????????

10 hours ago, LosLobo said:

And yes (I forgot), the ground clearance thing is something I'm increasingly coming to think of as a desirable feature. (I was here in the 'big flood'.) ????

9 hours ago, DavisH said:

It will certainly feel higher when driving buy you certainly get used to it. I find in the crv I have a good view of whats going on around me, and no fear when driving though floods (carefully, of course). Call the local honda dealer and ask them when/if the wrv is available for a test drive. onl in very heavy floods would you need somethign like a ford everest or fortuner. But at those depths I'd probably turn arnoud!

I agree with, and can relate to, what you say here, overall, regarding ground clearance & floods. ????

Interestingly, my wife today brought up another issue re ground clearance: being so close to the road that many situations, like steep ramps or even difficult speed bumps, etc, can leave you with bits of front or rear exterior trim breaking off or cracking. 

She's got a point, I reckon. ????

Btw....local Honda place has a wr-v. Will check it out asap. ????

7 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Both fortuner and everest give you 225mm ground clearance, the Honda WR-V gives you 220mm  ground clearance for Toyota Corolla Cross is 161mm

new yaris is 135mm

fortuner is 29 inches longer than the  Honda WR-V

This site is for European Cars only 

Search new cars sorted by dimensions and boot space

https://www.automobiledimension.com/car-search-engine.php#

taking the WRX LENGTH 4,060mm WIDTH 1780mm HEIGHT 1608mm and GROUND CLEARANCE 220mm 

and looking for something similar Suzuki XL7: 4,450 x 1,775 x 1,710 mm, minimum distance to the ground 200 mm

slightly longer and ground clearance not as good as Wr-V

https://www.headlightmag.com/first-impression-suzuki-xl7-1-5glx/

Vinny......I really appreciate your detailed comparative mini-analysis!!???????? Interesting. 

Fortuners are 29 inches longer than the WR-V? 29 inches! Wow. ????

I can't get over that 4,060mm WR-V length.....shorter than a Mazda 2. 

Local Honda place has a wr-v and I plan to check it out over the next few days. 

After I have, I'll get back to you with my thoughts! ????

7 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Vinny......I really appreciate your detailed comparative mini-analysis!!???????? Interesting. 

Fortuners are 29 inches longer than the WR-V? 29 inches! Wow. ????

I can't get over that 4,060mm WR-V length.....shorter than a Mazda 2. 

Local Honda place has a wr-v and I plan to check it out over the next few days. 

After I have, I'll get back to you with my thoughts! ????

When it comes to Ground clearance you should look for something that is similar or better than your hi-lander which has ground clearance of around between 200-217mm depending on model

Fortuner  Length 4,795mm

WR-V Lenght 4,060

difference 735mm or 28.937 inches

Edited by vinny41
add

5 hours ago, CLW said:

I'm already put off from the WR-V when I see the seats (front and especially rear ones) from pictures or vdo reviews. They look like they're made from stone or wood. Also the car is designed for and made in Indonesia. Guess that says a lot about the built quality, interior and comfort.

The point about higher ground clearance and possible flooding is not valid.

Does one really think a few centimeters make a big difference but loosing a lot of comfort on paved roads.

I'd definitely would stay away from the WR-V and consider the City Hatchback.

This is why I love this forum. Differing opinions are good and help lead they who seek advice & help towards an informed resolution....hopefully. ????

CLW.....what you say is very interesting, and I appreciate you saying it. I have taken note of the points you make. ????

City hatchback?.....my wife likes them. But I have doubts......longer than I'd like. And 13.5 cm ground clearance.......just got doubts that I can't honestly put my finger on conclusively! ???? But maybe......

2 hours ago, Cult of the Sun said:

I have a scion xB here in the states. I like it more than other cars I have that cost me 3 times more. Bought it used. Volumes of space to carry things.  From what I understand, they still sell them new in that part of the world.  Used is fine tho..

Short wheel base, driver rides higher, can't tip it over if she tried. lolz

Cult of the Sun... thanks for your post. To honest, I have never heard of scion xB. 

I'm guessing it might be something I'm familiar with......but maybe named differently in the States. Possibly. ????????????

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Spidermike.....call this coincidence or whatever, but for the first time - today - I really thought about the CX-30 as a possible......despite it being way longer than I'd like, for my wife's sake (so to speak).

I was considering the shorter Mazda CX-3. Still am in fact, but thought about indulging myself with the CX-30. It's a contender for sure.....but is kind of in the territory of 'too big', as far as my wife is concerned. 

I'm weighing things up!!????

But I do appreciate your glowing testimonial to the CX-30. Who knows, it could push me that way! ????

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

When it comes to Ground clearance you should look for something that is similar or better than your hi-lander which has ground clearance of around between 200-217mm depending on model

Fortuner  Length 4,795mm

WR-V Lenght 4,060

difference 735mm or 28.937 inches

Vinny....you know your stuff. ???? You sound like someone I could really enjoy chatting with over coffee or beer......all about cars!????????

Thanks for the specs. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Another vote for visiting the Motor Show. Book the Novotel Impact, stay a night or two, free parking and free shuttle that drops you at the door. The shuttle also make the rounds to some of the other shops and eats around there as well.  About 2K a night and the hotel is pretty decent. 

Hoping to see the Gen 3 Fortuner, the new Land Rover, the new Crown and the new Gen 4 Swift....

???????????? Love this recommendation, Yellowtail! And your enthusiasm.....because that's how I feel! I would LOVE to go....but I'm a country boy and far from the big mango. 

But....who knows? Maybe I could 'arrange' it. We'll see. ????????

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Yes....you're right about those specs. Interesting to me because of how the humble little Mazda 2 has greater ground clearance than the longer Yaris and the even longer City. 

So compared to the wr-v you're right about 'failing miserably' but then other options are even worse...ie, the City's 13.5cm. ????????

1 hour ago, transam said:

Our lads Mazda 2 has the factory spoiler on it, has a problem with not ripping it off on driveways....????

Well of course, lads have spoilers, transam. Otherwise they wouldn't be lads ????. Old farts like me stick with polite 'standard trim'!!????????????

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Ahhhh......now that's true. ???????????????? 

It's not really an issue for most drivers who take it easy and drive with due caution. I've only ever had to take evasive action once in 20 years. In an old honda city with no abs. Not fun! My old civic was lowered and road floods made water seep into the doors and flood the carpet. Again not fun! 

10 hours ago, Toolong said:

Certainly where I am in Isaan, your dealership comparison does seem to indeed be the case. Toyota place...shiny, landscaped to the max, all bells & whistles! Honda place.....small, tatty, half-hearted kind of vibe, as if Head Office in Bkk has told them they'll be shutting down the place & laying off workers! I even feel sorry for them. 

It interesting Loslobo, and of course pure coincidence, that I kind of considered the Corolla Cross earlier today, for the first time, before reading your comment. Bit larger than ideal, and not a thing of great beauty or flair (at least IMO), but when it comes to pedigree, Corollas have it in spades, right? ????????

I lived in Issan on a farm and found the Toyota Hilux ideal. Then moved to urban Phuket and though prone to flooding I found the std Corolla Sedan a better option for the better half for parking etc. Then back to a farm but in the wettest southern province and the Corolla with its low clearance was problematic not only for flooding but bad roads. So the moral of the story it that buy a car to best cover all of your most likely location and requirements, if you can find one!

The Honda WR-V seems good on paper in a lot of aspects but I find functionality and practicality is more important to me. Pointless having a beautiful ideal car sitting under repair in the garage all day.

The Corolla Cross's ground clearance specs seem to change depending on what country you are in, possibly due the availability of different wheel sizes. I could not find a definite height for Thailand.

Edited by LosLobo