Advice sought on best small hatchbacks/cars

Toolong

16 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Personally....I love the March! Wife's opinion? Very 'Thai', let's put it that way. ????.

And I truly regret to say that. ????

I like the March, but it's a bit long in the tooth.

I think the best time to buy a new car, is the second year on a new platform. The bugs are worked out, they typically get juiced a bit, and you get 5-6 years with a care that looks almost new. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Thanks, I didn’t realise, that’s good info.

I wonder why they tune it down for Thailand and Australia, because I’m sure it is the same unit.

And although it doesn’t represent a huge difference, the 2.5 Turbo is 1.85 Million Baht in Thailand, so it would be good to have the extra ponies

It could be tuned down, but being turbo it's not hard to recover some of that HP with a remap. I can net 40+hp in my crv diesel if I ever wish to remap it; but I'm liking my warranty too much at the moment to do it and don't want any issues with making a claim. Perhaps next year. 

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

That seems suspect to me that it heat and fuel quality.  It's no hotter here than many places in the World, and the fuel id produced by the same players and has to meet the same standards. 

I would guess they can get a lower duty/excise tax by de-tuning the engine.

As with any de-tuned engine, you can likely have it "chipped",

The acceleration test I've seen from Australia are generally done in weather <20 degrees C. In Thailand they ahve almost alwayes been 30 degrees C. Hotter = less dense air = less HP. 

14C in this video of the 2.5 turbo cx-5 , 0-100 7.5 sec

44 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Nissan March (K13) the first EcoCar in Thailand, production has been discontinued on July 26, 2022.

https://www.headlightmag.com/2022-07-27-nissan-march-k13-first-ecocar-in-thailand-production-end/

Not sure what direction Nissan is going in they only have the almera and kicks for sale

So in December my car is significantly more powerful that in May?

53 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The acceleration test I've seen from Australia are generally done in weather <20 degrees C. In Thailand they ahve almost alwayes been 30 degrees C. Hotter = less dense air = less HP. 

14C in this video of the 2.5 turbo cx-5 , 0-100 7.5 sec

I hope nobody actually thinks that is fast ????

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DavisH said:

It could be tuned down, but being turbo it's not hard to recover some of that HP with a remap. I can net 40+hp in my crv diesel if I ever wish to remap it; but I'm liking my warranty too much at the moment to do it and don't want any issues with making a claim. Perhaps next year. 

Thanks again for more good info. Certainly wouldn’t want to be tweaking a new Mazda for a few extra ponies, and probably invalidating the warranty in the process.

I might look at the CX5 Diesel which I hadn’t considered seriously before. I think here in Thailand it is non turbo, 2.2 L with AWD and 190 HP. However, I can’t find any performance figures for it.

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Also when you compare models from different brands make a list of must have

you will noticed with some brands items that aren't seen will be removed to save costs and replaced with items that are seen Some Brands marketing dept believe that people are more interested in a  15" entertainment screen than airbags or some other safety feature who knows maybe they are

Yes, finding out these details, about what exactly I am getting in the package and what I'm not, is going to be important for me. ????

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I like the March, but it's a bit long in the tooth.

I think the best time to buy a new car, is the second year on a new platform. The bugs are worked out, they typically get juiced a bit, and you get 5-6 years with a care that looks almost new. 

Yes, I know what you mean. I'm a bit wary of brand new models. Wait until the problems have been ironed out is best! ????

43 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Thanks again for more good info. Certainly wouldn’t want to be tweaking a new Mazda for a few extra ponies, and probably invalidating the warranty in the process.

I might look at the CX5 Diesel which I hadn’t considered seriously before. I think here in Thailand it is non turbo, 2.2 L with AWD and 190 HP. However, I can’t find any performance figures for it.

Not many non-turbo diesels in Thailand anymore:

703709791_Mazda2.2.jpg.ef7bc1923c949a1d26148697ad3c2c02.jpg

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

0-100 is around 8.5 secs for this 2.2 turbo diesel. Yes, it's a diesel too. Mazda diesels have had dpf issues in the past and I'm not ure that has been rectified. This goes for the mazda 2 diesel too. You can ask these guys about mazda diesels. They do a  lot of work with them, including removing clogged dpfs and remapping them. They also race them. 

https://web.facebook.com/feeliqmotorsport

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

0-100 is around 8.5 secs for this 2.2 turbo diesel. Yes, it's a diesel too. Mazda diesels have had dpf issues in the past and I'm not ure that has been rectified. This goes for the mazda 2 diesel too. You can ask these guys about mazda diesels. They do a  lot of work with them, including removing clogged dpfs and remapping them. They also race them. 

https://web.facebook.com/feeliqmotorsport

Thanks again for the good info. I have held a nagging doubt for some time about the reliability of Mazda diesels, which may well be irrational, but I will probably go for the petrol turbo.

I drove a Mazda 3 here for 4 years from new, and am now in the 3rd year with my CX3 which I bought new, both with the Skyactive 2.0 petrol unit, and neither have ever missed a beat.

I’m not going to make the change until the end of the year or early next, so I’ll just keep an eye out for any new variants that become available … thanks again

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 1:53 PM, vinny41 said:

Compared to the Honda HR-V, the WR-V is 325 mm shorter, 10 mm narrower, 18 mm taller, and the wheelbase is 125 mm shorter.

https://www.headlightmag.com/2023-03-09-official-price-all-new-honda-wrv-thailand/

Just thought I'd mention it - went to check out the Honda WR-V today. Seemed nice. But no vehicle to test drive. That stumped me. In fact, no test drives available for any of the Honda vehicles in the showroom. Company policy. 

How does Honda think that makes for a happy customer, I wonder. ???? 

Oh well. ????

9 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Just thought I'd mention it - went to check out the Honda WR-V today. Seemed nice. But no vehicle to test drive. That stumped me. In fact, no test drives available for any of the Honda vehicles in the showroom. Company policy. 

Oh well. ????

Did you ask if you can book a test drive? There may not be that many wrv's available for test drive just yet. Or go to a larger dealer maybe? 

27 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Oh well. ????

Check Honda website for Testdrive

I known dealers have a company policy and the brand having a company policy and if there is an conflict the dealer will be given a choice change their company policy or exit that brand

https://www.honda.co.th/testdrive/step1?internal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.honda.co.th

Just now, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I am fully updated with security on all my computers and laptops thanks.

Why did you respond to my question if you don’t know the answer; completely pointless

If you read my post again, it says 'for starters', as VW Thailand doesn't seem to list the ride you are asking about.

I hope you have a non-miserable day tomorrow, chin up.....????

6 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

So, not available here then by the sounds of it 

VW is showing it on the Bangkok Motor Show Website indicating they will be showing and selling it. I would post a link but they might be watching...

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

VW is showing it on the Bangkok Motor Show Website indicating they will be showing and selling it. I would post a link but they might be watching...

He don't open links..................????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

Oh well. ????

Just two weeks ago  I test drove a Honda City from the BanAmpur Honda outlet onto Sukhumvit Road and then up the motoway link and my wife drove it back.

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Did you ask if you can book a test drive? There may not be that many wrv's available for test drive just yet. Or go to a larger dealer maybe? 

No, I didn't ask, DavisH.. I should have done.

But she was so clear that a test drive wouldn't be available - and that's that!  - that it left me too baffled to enquire further.

I'm guessing that had it been possible to book a test drive she would have suggested it, to keep me on the hook, so to speak. But she didn't. Oh well.

Unfortunate that I hadn't got far doing a thorough check up inside & out before she told me about the test drive no-can-do.

Shame, cos got the impression it might be worth giving the WR-V a chance to win me over.

I'm gonna go with what you  suggested.....check out other Honda outlets, esp a larger one if possible. 

Thanks for your response, DavisH. ????

• Like 1