Advice sought on best small hatchbacks/cars

Toolong

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Thanks for your comments, DavisH.. 

Yes, I have noticed with new car buyers here that the brand wheels & tyres at purchase  often get changed for something more custom in amazingly quick time! Reckon they must have it all planned out before purchase & have it priced in, including the deal on selling the originals. Which of course is fine. ????

You point out the difference in gas consumption between the cx3 & the 2. It's actually hugely important and is one of the reasons for us to get a new vehicle, so despite the appeal of the cx3, it could be a mistake!

The test drive may be a deciding factor, so I'll make as much of it as I can.

And your point about Mazda bringing out a new 2 variant soon, I agree that they will most likely. So waiting a bit is not a bad idea.....and it gives me a chance to test drive the Yaris. ????????

Thanks....????

The thing about wheels is that for a new driver, its easy for them to ding them up pretty quickly hitting kerbs and what not. I found  graze on the city yesterday. The wife scraped the kerb, and shes been driving over 30 years. So  guess it can happen to anyone! I don't have that problem with the crv and the tires are quite thick and tall. So if you chage the wheels / tires, get good quality tires but the cheapest wheels in the market lol 15" and 16" are less likely to get scraped on the cx-3. wr-v is not likely to scrape either. 

14 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The thing about wheels is that for a new driver, its easy for them to ding them up pretty quickly hitting kerbs and what not. I found  graze on the city yesterday. The wife scraped the kerb, and shes been driving over 30 years. So  guess it can happen to anyone! I don't have that problem with the crv and the tires are quite thick and tall. So if you chage the wheels / tires, get good quality tires but the cheapest wheels in the market lol 15" and 16" are less likely to get scraped on the cx-3. wr-v is not likely to scrape either. 

Yes....good point. Some of those wheels are just asking for a ding or two.

Guess that was an advantage of hub caps or clip on wheel facades that were widely used more often in the past. Easy & cheap to replace. ????????

3 hours ago, Toolong said:

Guess that was an advantage of hub caps or clip on wheel facades that were widely used more often in the past. Easy & cheap to replace. ????????

The 16 inch wheels carry 60 series tires on the cx3. That should give some protection.

18 hours ago, Toolong said:

Most fit wider tyres, my tyres will scrape kerbs first not the rims.

On 3/19/2023 at 9:20 AM, KhunLA said:

Y'all buying these as collector items, as where do you plan on driving, needing such power ?  Live next to a racetrack you have access to ?

I'm having a hard time, and rarely use the 177hp/280 nm torque our family car (ZS) has.  Really is more 'instant' power than I'll ever need or use. 

A man's got to know his limitations...

On 3/19/2023 at 9:20 AM, KhunLA said:

Scratch that one:

"In Thailand, Volkswagen has discontinued the Golf GTI and this Cars model is out of production"

GTI.jpg.5dd2652a53f28a36e68566a4080fd57e.jpg

Volkswagen Golf GTI 40th Anniversary Edition ฉลองรถแฮทช์แบ็กรุ่นแรงขายในแดนคาวบอย 40 ปี - Bangkok International Motor Show

• Thumbs Up 1

@Yellowtail

Damn Google ... giving me false info ????

... Although I'd never trust or buy anything from VW:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_scandal#:~:text=In April 2017%2C a US,conspiracy on 3 May 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_controversies

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Most fit wider tyres, my tyres will scrape kerbs first not the rims.

Yes, indeed. With what was, not so long ago, the more conventional set up, that was/is the case. But I've noticed a trend towards more wheel, less tyre, with the wheel sometimes quite prominently exposed to a good mashing by an unforgiving kerb. Not keen on this style personally, but then I'm not a cool, hip dude! ????

2 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Yes, indeed. With what was, not so long ago, the more conventional set up, that was/is the case. But I've noticed a trend towards more wheel, less tyre, with the wheel sometimes quite prominently exposed to a good mashing by an unforgiving kerb. Not keen on this style personally, but then I'm not a cool, hip dude! ????

The OEM rims on a lot of cars produced these days I find ugly.

Many like said can get messed up on kerbs if not careful.

Some cars have that auto parking system so I guess there OK. 

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The OEM rims on a lot of cars produced these days I find ugly.

Many like said can get messed up on kerbs if not careful.

Some cars have that auto parking system so I guess there OK. 

Yes, I agree with you about many of the oem rims these days, certainly regarding how they look (to my eyes, anyway). Sometimes they get it right, but very often the design just seems to me like a desperate attempt to be 'different', and maybe it does look different, but too often it looks weird & ugly too! 

????

On 3/16/2023 at 10:56 PM, vinny41 said:

Nissan March (K13) the first EcoCar in Thailand, production has been discontinued on July 26, 2022.

https://www.headlightmag.com/2022-07-27-nissan-march-k13-first-ecocar-in-thailand-production-end/

Not sure what direction Nissan is going in they only have the almera and kicks for sale

I did test drive the Nissan Almera, but wasn't impressed with it and it is a larger car than I wanted, and I don't think I've ever had four people in my Swift since I bought it all those years ago!!

It would be great if they bought out an updated Nissan March or a similar vehicle, however as I said previously, I was quite taken with the Suzuki Celerio, so will give that a look when the time comes

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

I did test drive the Nissan Almera, but wasn't impressed with it and it is a larger car than I wanted, and I don't think I've ever had four people in my Swift since I bought it all those years ago!!

It would be great if they bought out an updated Nissan March or a similar vehicle, however as I said previously, I was quite taken with the Suzuki Celerio, so will give that a look when the time comes

There ciuld be a swift hybrid coming sometime soon..so it may be worthwhile to see what that is like. Even the current swift is a good upgrsde over yours. My wife got the city turbo to replace her swift and shes very happy with it - more power and much more comfortable suspension compared to the swift. Fuel economy of your swift is close to the city turbo (about 18km/l in our case) 

• Like 1