Advice sought on best small hatchbacks/cars

Toolong

11 hours ago, Toolong said:

Cult of the Sun... thanks for your post. To honest, I have never heard of scion xB. 

I'm guessing it might be something I'm familiar with......but maybe named differently in the States. Possibly. ????????????

Yes, I should have mentioned that since some of you have been there forever.. It's sold under the toyota brand. No longer sold here in US.  Could be called the BB there..

Turning radius is insane in this.  So much fun to drive and 3000 pound curb weight. 4 cylinder, easy to tune up and do your own oil changes.

dsc00713_a8c81f94f269f87198c71ea4fd6ed9440dfd4f20.jpg

Edited by Cult of the Sun

15 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Absolutely agree. Mazda CX30 is a great car, and the HRV or Cross can’t hold a candle to it. I think he might want smaller though, so the CX3 which I drive myself, might fit the bill. I’ll be changing later in the year to a CX30, or if I can stretch my budget to the CX5 2.5 Turbo, which is the one I drool over … but Mazda all the way, a cut above the other Japanese cars, IMO

In the US, the difference in cost between the CX-30 and the CX5 is not that much. Wonder why it is so much more here. I like the extra space of the CX5, but was unwilling to pay the vast difference.

Go for either. Great cars. 

12 hours ago, Toolong said:

Spidermike.....call this coincidence or whatever, but for the first time - today - I really thought about the CX-30 as a possible......despite it being way longer than I'd like, for my wife's sake (so to speak).

I was considering the shorter Mazda CX-3. Still am in fact, but thought about indulging myself with the CX-30. It's a contender for sure.....but is kind of in the territory of 'too big', as far as my wife is concerned. 

I'm weighing things up!!????

But I do appreciate your glowing testimonial to the CX-30. Who knows, it could push me that way! ????

Go for the CX-30. Not big at all and very easy to drive, park, and maneuver. And it is a dream car on the highway. My Thai wife drives it, and loves it! So do I. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Go for the CX-30. Not big at all and very easy to drive, park, and maneuver. And it is a dream car on the highway. My Thai wife drives it, and loves it! So do I. 

I like the look of these, if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you, how is the headroom and how do you like getting in and out? 

13 hours ago, Toolong said:

Vinny......I really appreciate your detailed comparative mini-analysis!!???????? Interesting. 

Fortuners are 29 inches longer than the WR-V? 29 inches! Wow. ????

I can't get over that 4,060mm WR-V length.....shorter than a Mazda 2. 

Local Honda place has a wr-v and I plan to check it out over the next few days. 

After I have, I'll get back to you with my thoughts! ????

The Fortuner is a real gas hog. Way too big for my taste. 

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I like the look of these, if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you, how is the headroom and how do you like getting in and out? 

I am about 183 cm tall and a fairly big guy. It is a little small getting in. But, once inside it is very comfy and spacious. Headroom is no problem. If you are 200cm tall, might be different. Worth it. Great car. Would buy another. 

Edited by spidermike007

12 hours ago, DavisH said:

It's not really an issue for most drivers who take it easy and drive with due caution. I've only ever had to take evasive action once in 20 years. In an old honda city with no abs. Not fun! My old civic was lowered and road floods made water seep into the doors and flood the carpet. Again not fun! 

Agreed!????

15 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Absolutely agree. Mazda CX30 is a great car, and the HRV or Cross can’t hold a candle to it. I think he might want smaller though, so the CX3 which I drive myself, might fit the bill. I’ll be changing later in the year to a CX30, or if I can stretch my budget to the CX5 2.5 Turbo, which is the one I drool over … but Mazda all the way, a cut above the other Japanese cars, IMO

????.....the CX-3 does seem to be 'calling out to me' for a thorough look over and maybe a test drive. ????

(The high Mazda build-quality, in general, does seem to stand out, doesn't it. ????)

3 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I lived in Issan on a farm and found the Toyota Hilux ideal. Then moved to urban Phuket and though prone to flooding I found the std Corolla Sedan a better option for the better half for parking etc. Then back to a farm but in the wettest southern province and the Corolla with its low clearance was problematic not only for flooding but bad roads. So the moral of the story it that buy a car to best cover all of your most likely location and requirements, if you can find one!

The Honda WR-V seems good on paper in a lot of aspects but I find functionality and practicality is more important to me. Pointless having a beautiful ideal car sitting under repair in the garage all day.

The Corolla Cross's ground clearance specs seem to change depending on what country you are in, possibly due the availability of different wheel sizes. I could not find a definite height for Thailand.

Interesting to read of your experiences with different vehicles as it relates to floods & suitability to environment, etc.

'Functionality and practicality' is also important to me. Plus of course reliability. But I find I have to be ready to compromise on that....to some extent.....as it relates to possible different concerns of my wife. I think she tends to evaluates vehicles in ways not always in accord with good sense! (Or what I see as 'good sense', to be fair!) ???? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cult of the Sun said:

Yes, I should have mentioned that since some of you have been there forever.. It's sold under the toyota brand. No longer sold here in US.  Could be called the BB there..

Turning radius is insane in this.  So much fun to drive and 3000 pound curb weight. 4 cylinder, easy to tune up and do your own oil changes.

dsc00713_a8c81f94f269f87198c71ea4fd6ed9440dfd4f20.jpg

Interesting! Looks similar.....though bigger?.......to the Nissan Cube model that came out some years ago. What some might call the 'no-nonsense' look, which I mean, in this case, as a compliment. ????????

55 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The Fortuner is a real gas hog. Way too big for my taste. 

I have a Fortuna and the power and fuel consumption (~10km/l) was disappointing just coming from a 3L Highlander. The size did not bother me out in the province, but it bugs a little in Bangkok. I still like the interior and the way it looks, sits and drives.  Wife loves it, but she quit driving when we moved to Bangkok....

48 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I am about 183 cm tall and a fairly big guy. It is a little small getting in. But, once inside it is very comfy and spacious. Headroom is no problem. If you are 200cm tall, might be different. Worth it. Great car. Would buy another. 

I'm 188 and my boy is a bit taller. We'll have a look at the show. Not sure if I want to move him into the 'tuna and get something new for me or just get something for him. If the Gen 4 Swift is at the show and I fit in it okay, I might get that for me...

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Interesting comment, spidermike! 

As far as size goes, for me (cos it's kind of a relative thing) the CX-30 gets very close to being too big.....on paper, anyway......and this is a point I'm starting to consider : 'What if it turns out that my wife CAN, with careful practise, drive a bigger vehicle?' Especially if the vehicle is as easy to drive and manouevre as well as you say.

I think we both need to go back down to the Mazda place and spend more time in ALL the models. We only looked at the Mazda 2 last time. 

Thanks ????????

36 minutes ago, beau thai said:

mazda 2 auto so easy to drive. we picked up a finance repo (from a dealer), nearly new at a great price. Been very happy with it.

By golly, they LOOK easy to drive! ???? I think it's about time I took a test drive to confirm it. ????

Thanks beau thai. 

30 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

With some reluctance bought a Mazda CX5 4x4 2.2 diesel........step down from my SVR, but was/am very impressed

They are indeed lovely. ???????? But I think my pocket's not big enough for one of those. Not right now, anyway. But glad you like it. ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

In the US, the difference in cost between the CX-30 and the CX5 is not that much. Wonder why it is so much more here. I like the extra space of the CX5, but was unwilling to pay the vast difference.

Go for either. Great cars. 

Indeed, even the entry level CX5 is 200k more here than the top model CX30, and Mazda restrict certain model trims in certain countries; the CX5 is not available here in Carbon trim, whereas I believe the CX3 and CX 30 are. I don’t really need the extra space of the 5, but want it for the 2.5 Turbo. 256 hp and 320 lb-ft Torque, with 60 arrivingin 6.8 secs. I still like to exercise my right foot from time to time ????

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I have a Fortuna and the power and fuel consumption (~10km/l) was disappointing just coming from a 3L Highlander. The size did not bother me out in the province, but it bugs a little in Bangkok. I still like the interior and the way it looks, sits and drives.  Wife loves it, but she quit driving when we moved to Bangkok....

Oh, my wife would LOVE a Fortuner, but even she concedes that it would be too big for her. 

(PS: consider this.....if you can drive a Fortuner around Bkk without any probs - and you will inevitably learn to do so like a master! - you can drive anything, anywhere! ????????????)

24 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I'm 188 and my boy is a bit taller. We'll have a look at the show. Not sure if I want to move him into the 'tuna and get something new for me or just get something for him. If the Gen 4 Swift is at the show and I fit in it okay, I might get that for me...

Sounds like quite a big boys shopping trip! God, I'm envious. ????????

1 minute ago, Toolong said:

Oh, my wife would LOVE a Fortuner, but even she concedes that it would be too big for her. 

(PS: consider this.....if you can drive a Fortuner around Bkk without any probs - and you will inevitably learn to do so like a master! - you can drive anything, anywhere! ????????????)

I traveled with a carnival for twelve years, you learn to drive anything most anywhere...

22 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Interesting comment, spidermike! 

As far as size goes, for me (cos it's kind of a relative thing) the CX-30 gets very close to being too big.....on paper, anyway......and this is a point I'm starting to consider : 'What if it turns out that my wife CAN, with careful practise, drive a bigger vehicle?' Especially if the vehicle is as easy to drive and manouevre as well as you say.

I think we both need to go back down to the Mazda place and spend more time in ALL the models. We only looked at the Mazda 2 last time. 

Thanks ????????

I get the feeling from what you are saying about your requirements, especially regarding your wife, the CX3 might be the ticket. My wife is an occasional, and not very confident driver, but she is fine with my CX3.

Important, I find, to take a few minutes with her getting the seat adjusted properly, so she is not stretching, or overreaching for pedals or controls; and the mirrors of course; sounds obvious I know, but very important to get her feeling comfortable

4 minutes ago, Toolong said:

If she loves the Fortuner, you should look at the Cross, it's sort of a mini-tuna...

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The CX-30 is the same platform as the Gen 4 Mazda 3, yes? 

I couldn't tell you, Yellowtail. All my brochures are in Thai! But it's good to know this stuff. I'd be as interested to know this as your good self. ????

8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Small modern cars are much of a muchness.

Just get the best deal you can on a

Toyota Yaris or

Mazda 2 or

Mitsubhishi Mirage/Attrage or

Honda City

Forget any Chinese rubbish

You're the first to mention the Mirage, henryford.

I see a lot on the roads. Size-wise, for my wife, they fit the bill, perfectly, but my wife seems to not be keen. ????

Thanks for your comment henry. ????????