Advice sought on best small hatchbacks/cars

Toolong

3 hours ago, Toolong said:

Now that is interesting, xylophone! I was aware of the Swift. Don't know much about them tbh but have heard good reports about them.

I definitely will find out more! They deserve to be given a close look-over.

Liked what you said about the 'couple of hundred yards' instant romance! ????????????

The wife had an auto swift for nearly 10 years. Dirt cheap to run. I think the most expensive thing replaced was the air cond evaporator (5K) and shock aborbers. That had abour 114k kms on it. If you live up country, the manual version would be fine. But if you live in a big city, think again. We sold ours for about 280K, which was 50% of the original value at the time. The later model swift is generally better overall than the previous version, though there is no manual. There should be a new sift out this year, possibly in hybrid form. 

If you really want a manual, look for a late model honda jazz that has not been trashed. The fetch a lot of money second hand. 555K was the new price. 

The wife got a city turbo to replace it. Its quite different from the swift for sure. 

3 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Yes.  Apparently a JATCO CVT that doesn't break.  Rare indeed.

Theres no probem with modern well maintained jatcos. Some suzuki swifts have run on them easily over 300k kms (according to an independent swift mechanic I now). 

9 hours ago, DavisH said:

The wife had an auto swift for nearly 10 years. Dirt cheap to run. I think the most expensive thing replaced was the air cond evaporator (5K) and shock aborbers. That had abour 114k kms on it. If you live up country, the manual version would be fine. But if you live in a big city, think again. We sold ours for about 280K, which was 50% of the original value at the time. The later model swift is generally better overall than the previous version, though there is no manual. There should be a new sift out this year, possibly in hybrid form. 

If you really want a manual, look for a late model honda jazz that has not been trashed. The fetch a lot of money second hand. 555K was the new price. 

The wife got a city turbo to replace it. Its quite different from the swift for sure. 

My wife definitely requires automatic. 

You're not the only person on this thread to praise the Swift, DavisH. Interesting. I think I should at least check them out more. Next time we're in the town we'll pop into the showroom. ????

I wonder....you say the city turbo is 'quite different'. In a positive way? Or not so? Does your wife like it? ????

10 hours ago, vinny41 said:

if your are near BKK or can get to BKK motor show starts 23rd March for 2 weeks

Would really love to go, but unable to, unfortunately. ????

But I look forward to seeing reviews of it & what manufacturers offer, etc. ????

2 minutes ago, mudcat said:

As you browse I would pay attention to seating height and forward visibility, especially if your spouse is on the short side.  

Yes. I agree. ????

How it feels to her in regard to such things as visibility and so on is very important. ????

Just now, Toolong said:

Yes. I agree. ????

How it feels to her in regard to such things as visibility and so on is very important. ????

.....plus rear view visibility, especially for parking. Possible fender benders worry me. ????????

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I do like the idea of a fast small car though.... I was really taken with the Yaris GT... 

But alas....   its $100,000 in Thailand....  

OP... Did you mention any budget ???

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/toyota-yaris-gr-bangkok-metropolitan-liab-duan-ram-inthra-kasetnawamin/11204083

If you want a bit of speed in a small car - the GLA 250 AMG has a 2 liter engine pushing out about 215hp - but obviously not for the budget conscious - still - it ain't $100k, so cheaper than they Yaris GT.

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

I tried all of the smaller cars/hatchbacks before I settled on the Suzuki Swift, which I have had now for over 10 years, and I've been delighted with it – – good roadholding and good feel to it, comfortable to sit in even for long drives/journeys and I really couldn't complain about anything on it, and not only that I found that the service folk were superb when it came to the checkups and suchlike.

I was quite taken with the little Nissan March, but then again the OP says that his wife is not keen on a Nissan.

What clinched it for me was the fact that I took every one of the smaller cars for a test drive, and whereas none of them actually "jumped out at me" with regards to the purchase of it, I only went a couple of hundred yards in the Suzuki Swift and realised it was the car I wanted.

I, like you, bought a new Suzuki Swift 2 years ago, and have regretted it.. it was bought for my Wife as a  town car to and from work etc,     but  do you find it a  hard ride ?  a lot like riding a  skateboard, the feeling of  a broken or non existant suspension,.... googleing the problem reveals many complaints  of this nature 

7 minutes ago, actonion said:

I, like you, bought a new Suzuki Swift 2 years ago, and have regretted it.. it was bought for my Wife as a  town car to and from work etc,     but  do you find it a  hard ride ?  a lot like riding a  skateboard, the feeling of  a broken or non existant suspension,.... googleing the problem reveals many complaints  of this nature 

Oh, sorry to hear that, esp as I have not experienced any of what you describe.........maybe what we used to call "a Friday Afternoon" car?? I would certainly buy another or as Transam has said, take a look at the Celerio.

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is that you Khun LA ???? ????

No, but I gave it a ???? ???? Budget ? though doesn't seem to be a priority with cars mentioned.

@Toolong

If not EV, then I saw a MG5 yesterday, very nice, and inexpensive to buy & operate (18kp/L), impressive.

OP just about wrote off most cars.   Hatchback ?  Have a peek at MG3, or Swift, as didn't discount them yet.   MG3 having more hp & torque than Swift, I think.

Actually the MG ZS is quite short for being a SUV, and ICE far from expensive @ 729k, more than peppy enough for those U-turns mergers.  ZS EV, even peppier, and far from expensive.

MG fan, can you tell, also OP is limiting the field with ones already crossed off the list.

Edited by KhunLA

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

No, but I gave it a ???? ???? Budget ? though doesn't seem to be a priority with cars mentioned.

@Toolong

If not EV, then I saw a MG5 yesterday, very nice, and inexpensive to buy & operate (18kp/L), impressive.

OP just about wrote off most cars.   Hatchback ?  Have a peek at MG3, or Swift, as didn't discount them yet.   MG3 having more hp & torque than Swift, I think.

Actually the MG ZS is quite short for being a SUV, and ICE far from expensive @ 729k, more than peppy enough for those U-turns mergers.  ZS EV, even peppier, and far from expensive.

MG fan, can you tell, also OP is limiting the field with ones already crossed off the list.

It that MG5 the 2000 engine.

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

It that MG5 the 2000 engine.

Haven't a clue, as haven't researched it.  Not in the market, so I don't peek at much.   Unless an EV, to make myself feel good about my choices ... ????

Coincidently saw 1 the other day, as someone posted they got 18km/L, and I thought, NO way, but sure enough, it does have excellent fuel economy.  Only reason I peeked.  Our ZS was a real petrol hog.   Knew it wasn't good, as our Mazda2 (old) got 14km/L, but the ZS @ 10/11 kp/L ... ouch.

If car just for me, I may have gotten the MG EP, (CC in me) though glad we have the ZS.   If on budget, Celerio has got to the winner for ICEs.   I really don't fit in most cars, that bad back thingy, and doorways aren't made for me.   

Besides, cars are damn expensive.  I thought 695k & 949k for the ZSs were silly prices.  Seem to be starting points now for anything comfy.  Glad I'm not shopping.

3 hours ago, Toolong said:

.....plus rear view visibility, especially for parking. Possible fender benders worry me. ????????

Most cars will either have a 360 degree camera or front and back camera so parking issues shouldn't be a problem

Once you step outside of this forum you will noticed on the road that MG is not the most popular brand in the country

You stated that you are looking for something SMALL

Yaris size is 

Length: 4,160 mm.
Width: 1,730 mm.
Height : 1,500 mm 

similar size is Honda WRV

Length: 4,060 mm.

Width: 1,780 mm.

Height: 1,608 mm.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

@Toolong

Well, I don't think I 'wrote off most cars'. ???? Just being critical, but am keeping options open. ???? 

Will admit I have (perhaps unfairly) had doubts about MG.....though comments such as yours do make me want to look more closely at them and to look for their pros as well as any cons. If the MG3 is a small hatchback, I'll check it out, for sure. And other models while I'm at it.

The Swift seems to have come up in this thread more than I think I expected, so that has also piqued my interest in finding out more. 

So I'm on the case! ????????

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Just last input if the car is wanted for the wife, best get what your wife likes. ????

Absolutely agree. Reluctantly......but yes, agree 100%. 

Chances are much higher of things not working out so well if she is not enthusiastic about the chosen vehicle in the first place. ????????

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Most cars will either have a 360 degree camera or front and back camera so parking issues shouldn't be a problem

Once you step outside of this forum you will noticed on the road that MG is not the most popular brand in the country

You stated that you are looking for something SMALL

Yaris size is 

Length: 4,160 mm.
Width: 1,730 mm.
Height : 1,500 mm 

similar size is Honda WRV

Length: 4,060 mm.

Width: 1,780 mm.

Height: 1,608 mm.

Yes, that kind of built-in camera feature is going to be essential, esp for parking!????

Thanks very much for offering those comparative specs for the Yaris and WRV! ????????

I hadn't heard of the WRV. Length-wise it's shorter than the Mazda 2! I'm interested.....will google. Cheers!

5 hours ago, Toolong said:

My wife definitely requires automatic. 

You're not the only person on this thread to praise the Swift, DavisH. Interesting. I think I should at least check them out more. Next time we're in the town we'll pop into the showroom. ????

I wonder....you say the city turbo is 'quite different'. In a positive way? Or not so? Does your wife like it? ????

The swift is quite cheap. We considered replacing the old swify with a new one, and they were going to knock of 40K off the sticker price which is 637K for the glx). It's a light and small car so its great around town. The wife averaged 18.2 km/l in her swift over the last several thousand km she drove it. I think the new swift may be a touch better. The main annoyance is if you accelerate hard is the elastic band effect in the cvt. It's not a fast car, but a little quicker than the new toyota ativ. So if you don't care too much about outright performance and like "value for money", it may also be worth looking at the ativ. If you want to travel comfortably in the back, don't get the swift, as there is not a lot of space.

For the city, it seems to get around the same mileage as our swift did, but think the highway mileage is better in the city than the swift. I'v only done one longish distance run and got about 23km/l. I've read of other users can getting close to 30km/l. But get on teh boost and ofcourse that mileage will suffer. The main difference is that the city is much larger in size (we have the hatchback) and its quite a bit faster that the swift. It doesn not take much effort to get it moving along. My wife like it for that reason. Fast enough to keep you ou of trouble but not so fast you would get into trouble:) 0-100 is about 10 sec (old swift was over 14); top speed over 200km/l and I don't ever plan to go that fast. There are some videos about this on youtube. 

There is a hum from the 3 cyl engine but it's not too bothersome. The cvt is not noisy either - it has some kind of fake shifts to make is seem more like a standard auto. I like the paddle shifters too. Probably my main complain would be the sound insulation isn't great (we put in full car mats that has helped a bit. The next step may be to do full sound insulation at an audio shop. Having said that, my wife does not compain of the noise (prob cos I'm used to my crv that is very quiet in comparison). The paint is a little thin too, so it can chip easily (I got one chip and managed to repair it somewhat with touchup). The service costs will be higher of the city, but not hugely so. And definitely keep up with the service schedule for a turbo car, especially fluid changes. The city is popular with the boy racers as they can modify it for a lot fo power, but the really shortens the engine life for this car.) 

It's best to drive a few cars and see what you like most. 

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Oh, sorry to hear that, esp as I have not experienced any of what you describe.........maybe what we used to call "a Friday Afternoon" car?? I would certainly buy another or as Transam has said, take a look at the Celerio.

Our swift went that way somewhat. I think its related the hardening of rubber components - control arms, bushes, stabilizer links etc. If they are replaced it would help a lot. 

59 minutes ago, connda said:

Suzuki Celerio.  My 5 speed cost ฿360K when I bought it. I didn't buy any of the additional packages, just bare bones as my philosophy on cars is it gets you from point A to point B. I don't need to drive a status symbol or fancy gadgets. Good gas mileage at about 23 km/liter (~54 miles/gal) If you added automatic I believe it was around another 100K THB.

Great city car.  Easy to maneuver.  Small engine ~1000cc.  Yeah, it sounds gutless, but it is geared very efficiently and can get it up to speed on the highway faster than the majority of Thais.  It's surprisingly quick.  I've driven it in the mountains to Pai and Mae Hong Son a number of times as well as trips to BKK and Cha-am.  It will cruise at 100k/h when you are driving long distance.  However I tend to drive the speed limits or slightly below as it extends the gas mileage.  On the outside it looks small, but it is surprisingly roomy on the inside.  Hatchback and the back seat drops.  I look for affordability and maneuverability especially city driving.  This had it all for approximately 10K USD. 
Wife and I are very happy with it.  I could have bought His and Hers Celerios for both the wife and I for what you'll spend on the type of cars most people feel that can't do without. 

???? Interesting. Yet another endorsement of the Celerio! I find I'm learning about vehicles that I hardly knew existed! The simple functionality & perfromance you describe does sound very impressive, I must say.

What I would, respectfully, like to bring up is how your approach to cars is based on sensible, no-nonsense practicality, whereas my wife's approach might be said to be the ABSOLUTE OPPOSITE of that!!????

As for me, I'm mostly the same as you I think, but with a taste for style as much as substance! 

(Btw....my comment on your approach is intended to be a compliment ????)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The swift is quite cheap. We considered replacing the old swify with a new one, and they were going to knock of 40K off the sticker price which is 637K for the glx). It's a light and small car so its great around town. The wife averaged 18.2 km/l in her swift over the last several thousand km she drove it. I think the new swift may be a touch better. The main annoyance is if you accelerate hard is the elastic band effect in the cvt. It's not a fast car, but a little quicker than the new toyota ativ. So if you don't care too much about outright performance and like "value for money", it may also be worth looking at the ativ. If you want to travel comfortably in the back, don't get the swift, as there is not a lot of space.

For the city, it seems to get around the same mileage as our swift did, but think the highway mileage is better in the city than the swift. I'v only done one longish distance run and got about 23km/l. I've read of other users can getting close to 30km/l. But get on teh boost and ofcourse that mileage will suffer. The main difference is that the city is much larger in size (we have the hatchback) and its quite a bit faster that the swift. It doesn not take much effort to get it moving along. My wife like it for that reason. Fast enough to keep you ou of trouble but not so fast you would get into trouble:) 0-100 is about 10 sec (old swift was over 14); top speed over 200km/l and I don't ever plan to go that fast. There are some videos about this on youtube. 

There is a hum from the 3 cyl engine but it's not too bothersome. The cvt is not noisy either - it has some kind of fake shifts to make is seem more like a standard auto. I like the paddle shifters too. Probably my main complain would be the sound insulation isn't great (we put in full car mats that has helped a bit. The next step may be to do full sound insulation at an audio shop. Having said that, my wife does not compain of the noise (prob cos I'm used to my crv that is very quiet in comparison). The paint is a little thin too, so it can chip easily (I got one chip and managed to repair it somewhat with touchup). The service costs will be higher of the city, but not hugely so. And definitely keep up with the service schedule for a turbo car, especially fluid changes. The city is popular with the boy racers as they can modify it for a lot fo power, but the really shortens the engine life for this car.) 

It's best to drive a few cars and see what you like most. 

DavisH.....I really appreciate you taking the time to offer this very interesting, informative & honest appraisal of the vehicles you & your wife have experienced as owners. Thanks.

The possible 'elastic band effect' from the Swift's cvt is something that would cause me concern, though your praise for its small car zippiness around town is noted on the plus side. More incentive for me to check them out. As far as the ativ goes, I do hope to fully check out the Yaris models as soon as I can. 

Your views on the City, based on your experiences so far, are interesting. And seem positive overall, but with a few 'minor' niggles that you kindly point out. Re the sound insulation thing....Yes, I think it's because, as you say, you're used to the crv. 

Again, thanks DavisH. This is very helpful!????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toolong said:

DavisH.....I really appreciate you taking the time to offer this very interesting, informative & honest appraisal of the vehicles you & your wife have experienced as owners. Thanks.

The possible 'elastic band effect' from the Swift's cvt is something that would cause me concern, though your praise for its small car zippiness around town is noted on the plus side. More incentive for me to check them out. As far as the ativ goes, I do hope to fully check out the Yaris models as soon as I can. 

Your views on the City, based on your experiences so far, are interesting. And seem positive overall, but with a few 'minor' niggles that you kindly point out. Re the sound insulation thing....Yes, I think it's because, as you say, you're used to the crv. 

Again, thanks DavisH. This is very helpful!????

There is no elastic band effect with modern CVT's..

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Haven't a clue, as haven't researched it.  Not in the market, so I don't peek at much.   Unless an EV, to make myself feel good about my choices ... ????

Coincidently saw 1 the other day, as someone posted they got 18km/L, and I thought, NO way, but sure enough, it does have excellent fuel economy.  Only reason I peeked.  Our ZS was a real petrol hog.   Knew it wasn't good, as our Mazda2 (old) got 14km/L, but the ZS @ 10/11 kp/L ... ouch.

If car just for me, I may have gotten the MG EP, (CC in me) though glad we have the ZS.   If on budget, Celerio has got to the winner for ICEs.   I really don't fit in most cars, that bad back thingy, and doorways aren't made for me.   

Besides, cars are damn expensive.  I thought 695k & 949k for the ZSs were silly prices.  Seem to be starting points now for anything comfy.  Glad I'm not shopping.

Just wondered because Yaris 1..5 returns 23 averae per litre. 

Edited by Kwasaki
Ads