Advice sought on best small hatchbacks/cars

Toolong

1 hour ago, G Rex said:

If I was looking for a small hatch now - Mazda 2 or 3 would be on the top of my list.   

I do not rate quality of Mitsubishi or Nissan - so agree with your wife there.

Yaris is a bit tinny - and like you, I am no fan of CVT. We had a Honda HRV and the transmission was not impressive!

I find Suzukis & MGs uninspiring and cheap feeling!  

Yes.....the Mazda 2 is looking good. (Mazda 3 in an ideal world!)

I will, though, give the Yaris a chance to impress me. Just need a test drive and proper look-over etc.. 

(Everybody seems to have one.....except the Toyota showroom here!)

????

I am also looking for a small hatchback. 

As I am determined to go to my grave without ever owning an automatic that means a choice between:

Celerio

Swift up to 2018

Nissan March

I will probably end up with the Swift.

Nissan isn't bad but I think it looks like a clown car.

Celerio is dirt cheap in manual form and I like simple cars.

Just now, In the jungle said:

I am also looking for a small hatchback. 

As I am determined to go to my grave without ever owning an automatic that means a choice between:

Celerio

Swift up to 2018

Nissan March

I will probably end up with the Swift.

Nissan isn't bad but I think it looks like a clown car.

Celerio is dirt cheap in manual form and I like simple cars.

I really like the look of the latest Swift...............:stoner:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLW said:

What's your budget and estimated annual mileage per year?

MG 4 EV could be a possible option...

1 hour ago, CLW said:

What's your budget and estimated annual mileage per year?

MG 4 EV could be a possible option...

Budget can stretch to 8 - 900k or more if it's the right vehicle that ticks all the boxes.

Now I don't want to start a big ol' dispute amongst members, but tbh, I'm personally not YET convinced that MG deserve to be as popular as they appear to be. I know they've been selling in Thailand for 4 or 5 years at least, but they're still new guys on the block. I need more time! ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Budget can stretch to 8 - 900k or more if it's the right vehicle that ticks all the boxes.

Now I don't want to start a big ol' dispute amongst members, but tbh, I'm personally not YET convinced that MG deserve to be as popular as they appear to be. I know they've been selling in Thailand for 4 or 5 years at least, but they're still new guys on the block. I need more time! ????

It is popular because of its performance history since 1924, and Brit badge on the boot lid.....????

1 hour ago, transam said:

There are no slippy clutches/belts in a CVT, the fact is, a CVT is more economical to run than an auto, it is guided by your engine's useable torque............????

Ermm.....I'd need to do more research about CVTs, tbh, before I feel I should attempt a reply to your comment that definitively evaluates it properly. You may be right. ????

2 minutes ago, Toolong said:

MG had been a proven vehicle in OZ for years. 

Proof of pudding is in the eating. 

The engineering of cars these days is so advanced many seem to forget that and just go with prejudice.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I tried all of the smaller cars/hatchbacks before I settled on the Suzuki Swift, which I have had now for over 10 years, and I've been delighted with it – – good roadholding and good feel to it, comfortable to sit in even for long drives/journeys and I really couldn't complain about anything on it, and not only that I found that the service folk were superb when it came to the checkups and suchlike.

I was quite taken with the little Nissan March, but then again the OP says that his wife is not keen on a Nissan.

What clinched it for me was the fact that I took every one of the smaller cars for a test drive, and whereas none of them actually "jumped out at me" with regards to the purchase of it, I only went a couple of hundred yards in the Suzuki Swift and realised it was the car I wanted.

Now that is interesting, xylophone! I was aware of the Swift. Don't know much about them tbh but have heard good reports about them.

I definitely will find out more! They deserve to be given a close look-over.

Liked what you said about the 'couple of hundred yards' instant romance! ????????????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Ermm.....I'd need to do more research about CVTs, tbh, before I feel I should attempt a reply to your comment that definitively evaluates it properly. You may be right. ????

The days of the DAF CVT belts are well and truly over......????

Our lad has a Mazda 2 CVT, first time I rode in it, I said, this hasn't got a CVT, you can hear the engine rev's drop as you accelerate, of course he didn't have a clue what I was talking about, so when I got home I Googled to find I was right, think it has a six speed auto..

33 minutes ago, transam said:

Our lad has a top end 1300cc Mazda 2, very nice comfortable car, but getting in and out of the thing is a pain with bumps on the head, I never bump my head in the Celerio, well designed small car..

Interesting....! My wife's fairly short and I'm not much taller myself, so wouldn't get too many bumps....in theory.

7 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Now that is interesting, xylophone! I was aware of the Swift. Don't know much about them tbh but have heard good reports about them.

I definitely will find out more! They deserve to be given a close look-over.

Liked what you said about the 'couple of hundred yards' instant romance! ????????????

I am a Suzuki motorcycle luver so great they are somewhat new to Cars in some respects but have been at it for quite a while now so well worth a look. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My 857cc Ford Fiesta really flew.....   down a very steep bank and then ‘really flew’....   no injuries on landing but the car was irreparable.

Celero 0-100kmh speed is 15 second...   so somewhat pedestrian....  but 150kmh top speed ????....  I’d sh!t kittens !

Where is the 90mph coming from.? 

Gravity I think !!... (on hills)....

28 minutes ago, transam said:
33 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Where is the 90mph coming from.? 

It has a top speed of 90/100 mph (150/160kph)...

Mine has never seen over 100kph.....????

Reckon it would do a ‘speed wobble’ at 150 kmh ????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Gravity I think !!... (on hills)....

Reckon it would do a ‘speed wobble’ at 150 kmh ????

I had an 850 Morris mini in UK cannot remember it's top speed it did over 70mph as far as I can remember.

1 hour ago, transam said:

The days of the DAF CVT belts are well and truly over......????

Our lad has a Mazda 2 CVT, first time I rode in it, I said, this hasn't got a CVT, you can hear the engine rev's drop as you accelerate, of course he didn't have a clue what I was talking about, so when I got home I Googled to find I was right, think it has a six speed auto..

Mazda 2 has a CVT, transam? 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

MG had been a proven vehicle in OZ for years. 

Proof of pudding is in the eating. 

The engineering of cars these days is so advanced many seem to forget that and just go with prejudice.

Kwasaki, you're right to - indirectly! - call me out on that prejudice. 

My prejudice is really rather of the worst kind, I admit.....????......based on a bit of this & a bit of that.....but nothing substantial!

????????????

Can I just say that my phone went weird a while ago and I lost a lot replies I sent. They weren't being saved.....and weren't sent & then just disappeared. 

Anyway....sorry if replies are not happening or are late. ????

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I had an 850 Morris mini in UK cannot remember it's top speed it did over 70mph as far as I can remember.

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

And there will be a hybrid launch towards the end off this year

Toyota Yaris ATIV 1.5 Hybrid (e-Smart)

https://www.headlightmag.com/2023-02-09-toyota-yaris-ativ-hybrid-esmart-debut-in-thialand-q3-2023/

Thanks for that added info, Vinny. ???????? 

Oh, I wish this would not make me doubt my own judgement re CVTs in general, so much. And in particular re the Nissan March. I have a liking for the humble little March that I wish my wife shared. ????????