Advice sought on best small hatchbacks/cars

Toolong

11 minutes ago, Madgee said:

I bought a 1 year old Swift in 2014 for 395k (GA model with a nice body kit and wide wheels!) from a family member. I recently sold it for 220k with 125000km on the clock, never missed a heartbeat in 10 years. Apart from regular dealership maintenance, new front shocks fitted. The dealership was excellent in all aspects, including price of servicing. I highly recommend the Suzuki Swift and the recent new model looks even better, I'm tempted to replace it with a limited edition Swift model but .................
Having a test-drive in the New 2023 Toyota Yaris Ativ Premium Luxury with a Presto body kit fitted is tempting me away. A far superior car for the money, even though it's a little sluggish but a good looker. My days of pedal to the metal passed many moons ago and I rarely do any trips above 50 km so it will suit my needs, just that little bit bigger wheelbase than the Yaris .

The new Swift is a stunner with a body kit fitted!  

Custom-2018-Suzuki-Swift-with-Zercon-body-kit-rear.jpg

To my eyes the Swift, particularly the latest model, is a very good looking car.

But with this body kit it's an automotive crime scene.

I accept, of course, that people's tastes vary.

36 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Compared to the Honda HR-V, the WR-V is 325 mm shorter, 10 mm narrower, 18 mm taller, and the wheelbase is 125 mm shorter.

https://www.headlightmag.com/2023-03-09-official-price-all-new-honda-wrv-thailand/

Vinny....this is mighty interesting!! Thanks!????

The fact that it's shorter in length than the Mazda 2 is amazing. My wife is currently reading the info in Thai in the link you kindly sent. I'll find out what I can in English. And we'll check out the local Honda outlet tomorrow.

And it's an attractive looking vehicle. ????

(Not too aggressive looking. Nice.)

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it!????

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Madgee said:

I bought a 1 year old Swift in 2014 for 395k (GA model with a nice body kit and wide wheels!) from a family member. I recently sold it for 220k with 125000km on the clock, never missed a heartbeat in 10 years. Apart from regular dealership maintenance, new front shocks fitted. The dealership was excellent in all aspects, including price of servicing. I highly recommend the Suzuki Swift and the recent new model looks even better, I'm tempted to replace it with a limited edition Swift model but .................
Having a test-drive in the New 2023 Toyota Yaris Ativ Premium Luxury with a Presto body kit fitted is tempting me away. A far superior car for the money, even though it's a little sluggish but a good looker. My days of pedal to the metal passed many moons ago and I rarely do any trips above 50 km so it will suit my needs, just that little bit bigger wheelbase than the Yaris .

The new Swift is a stunner with a body kit fitted!  

Custom-2018-Suzuki-Swift-with-Zercon-body-kit-rear.jpg

Thanks for relating your experiences. Very interesting. That rear-view pic of the Swift does impress. In fact, I have always thought they are great looking little cars, no doubt about it. 

A Yaris is still in the frame to be a possible choice, but need an opportunity to thoroughly check them out locally, hands-on. ????

One thing, Madgee, forgive me, but I can't quite work out which car you're referring to when you say 'a little sluggish'. The Yaris or the Swift? ????????

1 minute ago, Toolong said:

One thing, Madgee, forgive me, but I can't quite work out which car you're referring to when you say 'a little sluggish'. The Yaris or the Swift? ????????

The Yaris Ativ. (The Ativ is replacing the Vios in the Toyota model line-up)

34 minutes ago, transam said:

There is no elastic band effect with modern CVT's..

I can't agree or disagree with that, transam, cos I simply don't really know. Just driven only a manual pick-up for decades, in which no such trouble arises.

But I have been kind of 'traumatized' (????) by a plague of past experiences (long, long ago!) of slippy clutches and draggy transmissions in both cars & motorcycles!! So the mere thought of it has me fearful of a return to it! I even have the occasional nightmare about slipping clutches! ????

55 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

To my eyes the Swift, particularly the latest model, is a very good looking car.

But with this body kit it's an automotive crime scene.

I accept, of course, that people's tastes vary.

Some dealers also offer the swift sport bodykit which is much nicer as the parts are not "stuck on". Its a full front and rear replacment bumper. Swift Sport BBT Limited 2022 #ซูซูกิบางบัวทอง - YouTube

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

DavisH.....I really appreciate you taking the time to offer this very interesting, informative & honest appraisal of the vehicles you & your wife have experienced as owners. Thanks.

The possible 'elastic band effect' from the Swift's cvt is something that would cause me concern, though your praise for its small car zippiness around town is noted on the plus side. More incentive for me to check them out. As far as the ativ goes, I do hope to fully check out the Yaris models as soon as I can. 

Your views on the City, based on your experiences so far, are interesting. And seem positive overall, but with a few 'minor' niggles that you kindly point out. Re the sound insulation thing....Yes, I think it's because, as you say, you're used to the crv. 

Again, thanks DavisH. This is very helpful!????

Also, if you are in a hurry for a car, consider the delivery times. Demand for the ativ is very high. The dealer can tell you how long it may take for delivery. For our city, it took 10 days form the test drive to delivery. There was a supply of them. Other hondas were taking much longer to deliver. I think there is still a chip shortage for soem models also. 

But I think you should test drive them - swift, city, ativ, and whatever else thanks your interest. I think you will know which one you like most from that. If I was my wife I would have gotten the civic ehev, but its her money and she didn't want to spend that much on transport. I should have added the city is much more comfortable to drive that the swift. It has a better suspension. I can't talk about the ativ as i didn't drive that. 

14 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Some dealers also offer the swift sport bodykit which is much nicer as the parts are not "stuck on". Its a full front and rear replacment bumper. Swift Sport BBT Limited 2022 #ซูซูกิบางบัวทอง - YouTube

That looks fine.

But I wouldn't pay extra for it because I am a tightwad.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Toolong said:

Budget can stretch to 8 - 900k or more if it's the right vehicle that ticks all the boxes.

Now I don't want to start a big ol' dispute amongst members, but tbh, I'm personally not YET convinced that MG deserve to be as popular as they appear to be. I know they've been selling in Thailand for 4 or 5 years at least, but they're still new guys on the block. I need more time! ????

That's okay. But I really recommend you to make a test drive with the MG4 electric. It is on par with Volkswagen ID.3, which says a lot about the built quality plus 8 years battery and 5 years vehicle warranty (and it comes with a lower price).

Apart from that you could have a look at the Honda City Hatchback or Nissan Kicks.

Yaris' automatic transmission is horrible and drives like a rubber band. Mazda I don't like personally but others do...

21 hours ago, Toolong said:

Budget can stretch to 8 - 900k or more if it's the right vehicle that ticks all the boxes.

Now I don't want to start a big ol' dispute amongst members, but tbh, I'm personally not YET convinced that MG deserve to be as popular as they appear to be. I know they've been selling in Thailand for 4 or 5 years at least, but they're still new guys on the block. I need more time! ????

That's okay. But I really recommend you to make a test drive with the MG4 electric. It is on par with Volkswagen ID.3, which says a lot about the built quality plus 8 years battery and 5 years vehicle warranty (and it comes with a lower price).

Apart from that you could have a look at the Honda City Hatchback or Nissan Kicks.

Yaris' automatic transmission is horrible and drives like a rubber band. Mazda I don't like personally but others do...

3 hours ago, Toolong said:

Vinny....this is mighty interesting!! Thanks!????

The fact that it's shorter in length than the Mazda 2 is amazing. My wife is currently reading the info in Thai in the link you kindly sent. I'll find out what I can in English. And we'll check out the local Honda outlet tomorrow.

And it's an attractive looking vehicle. ????

(Not too aggressive looking. Nice.)

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it!????

Also you wife would be sitting higher up as the  WR-V  is taller

I personally wouldn't consider an electric car in Thailand 2 many unknowns at the moment 

And the electric fanboy club on this forum will never admit to any failings on any model  despite the fact that everyone knows they exist

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Toolong said:

Thanks for relating your experiences. Very interesting. That rear-view pic of the Swift does impress. In fact, I have always thought they are great looking little cars, no doubt about it. 

A Yaris is still in the frame to be a possible choice, but need an opportunity to thoroughly check them out locally, hands-on. ????

He is probably referring to the Yaris when he says a little bit sluggish.

The Yaris is about the same power as the Swift but 185 kg heavier.  Swift GL is 875 kg and Yaris is 1060 kg.  I only have the weight for 2022 Yaris but the new 2023 Yaris is just a minor facelift. 

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

Also, if you are in a hurry for a car, consider the delivery times. Demand for the ativ is very high. The dealer can tell you how long it may take for delivery. For our city, it took 10 days form the test drive to delivery. There was a supply of them. Other hondas were taking much longer to deliver. I think there is still a chip shortage for soem models also. 

But I think you should test drive them - swift, city, ativ, and whatever else thanks your interest. I think you will know which one you like most from that. If I was my wife I would have gotten the civic ehev, but its her money and she didn't want to spend that much on transport. I should have added the city is much more comfortable to drive that the swift. It has a better suspension. I can't talk about the ativ as i didn't drive that. 

Yes, test drives are next step. Regarding the Yaris, as I mentioned, no models were even available to view, let alone test drive. But you're right - test driving is a biggy in making the choice.

Interesting that you say City is more comfortable than the Swift. And regarding your own personal choice ideally vs your wife's decision to go for the City......yes, I'd think the same as you! Civics are nice! ????(though style-wise, I loved the previous, sadly short-lived generation just before this latest version. It almost matched the Mazda 3 for sexiness and racy flair. This newer version design? Solid but dull as dishwater...IMHO! Why did Honda do that?!????

Cheers, ????????

4 hours ago, In the jungle said:

That looks fine.

But I wouldn't pay extra for it because I am a tightwad.

All wads should be subject to high levels of tightness. I know my own can barely breathe sometimes, to the point of strangulation!????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CLW said:

I appreciate you being clearly enthusiastic about what recommendations you make. It's helpful, as I was (am) admittedly doubtful about MG but now really feel it would do no harm to test drive a few of their models. So I will. ????????

I really take note of your comment about the Yaris transmission being - in your view - a bit 'rubber band'. That's a concern of mine, cos that would - if it's indeed the likely case with the Yaris - bother me a lot.

You don't say why you don't like Mazdas, but that's ok, it's your call. ????

But gotta say I like them. They seem well put together. (And if I'm not mistaken....no cvt transmission! ????)

Cheers. ????

33 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Yes, test drives are next step. Regarding the Yaris, as I mentioned, no models were even available to view, let alone test drive. But you're right - test driving is a biggy in making the choice.

Interesting that you say City is more comfortable than the Swift. And regarding your own personal choice ideally vs your wife's decision to go for the City......yes, I'd think the same as you! Civics are nice! ????(though style-wise, I loved the previous, sadly short-lived generation just before this latest version. It almost matched the Mazda 3 for sexiness and racy flair. This newer version design? Solid but dull as dishwater...IMHO! Why did Honda do that?!????

Cheers, ????????

I liked the civic hatchback (over the old civic sedan). Unfortunately, that harchback didnt get the updated motor of the new civic sedan. I owned a 2.0 civic from 2004 to 2019. It was a pretty good car but thirsty. Sold that for the crv diesel. 

The city is pretty comfortable on most roads except badly potholed roads. Another negative is a lack of soem safety equipment compared to the ativ. Personally I dont care to much for such items, but needed full airbags. I really like the lanewatch in the crv, but you need to get the city ehev to get that - that car is also a good choice, but comes in at like 840K or so. 

Also try the wr-v. It has a higher driving position that some may like (my wife doesn't). No idea of fuel consumption for it. One test showed a 0-100km/k of 11 seconds, so not too bad. Its basically a honda jazz engine that have been shown to be very reliable. 

For honda, you may need to make a booking in advance for a test drive, as not all dealers have all the test drive models available. 

You may alo get better deals in BKK than in a smaller town. One of my wife's friends is a dealer in Ratchaburi, and they gave a worse deal on our crv compared to a Nonthaburi dealer. 

Whatever car you get, I recommend

1) ceramic coat (our dealer also has this service)

2) underbody coating

3) for the city - complete sound insulation(or turn up the stereo 55), you can also get paint protection film for the front part of the car to protect against stone chips. Our crv has had ceramic coat for 4 years and there is not a scratch on it (just a couple of unavoidable dings). 

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I personally wouldn't consider an electric car in Thailand 2 many unknowns at the moment 

And the electric fanboy club on this forum will never admit to any failings on any model  despite the fact that everyone knows they exist

Yes, regarding the overall height and higher seating set-up, I feel that would be a good thing, that does not negatively affect the advantages (IMO, as far as my wife's needs are concerned) of it being a shorter vehicle length-wise. I think she wants to be more higher up, rather than way down low. She's used to being (as a front passenger) in our pick-up for 14 years, a bit higher than the average car, I suppose. For me, the length, and to some extent the width, is what's crucial. (Said the actress to the bishop! ????????)

7 hours ago, Toolong said:

???? Interesting. Yet another endorsement of the Celerio! I find I'm learning about vehicles that I hardly knew existed! The simple functionality & perfromance you describe does sound very impressive, I must say.

What I would, respectfully, like to bring up is how your approach to cars is based on sensible, no-nonsense practicality, whereas my wife's approach might be said to be the ABSOLUTE OPPOSITE of that!!????

As for me, I'm mostly the same as you I think, but with a taste for style as much as substance! 

(Btw....my comment on your approach is intended to be a compliment ????)

A Happy Wife Makes A Happy Life.

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

He is probably referring to the Yaris when he says a little bit sluggish.

The Yaris is about the same power as the Swift but 185 kg heavier.  Swift GL is 875 kg and Yaris is 1060 kg.  I only have the weight for 2022 Yaris but the new 2023 Yaris is just a minor facelift. 

Yes, he was referring to the Yaris.

I love getting all this feedback, because in its limited way it exposes the cracks, so to speak. What you helpfully point out about the weight/power difference between Yaris & Swift is interesting. And it matters......because I start to wonder just how clever Toyota are at marketing their baby. 

And you're right. 2023 Yaris seems like a minor facelift.

But, will I be drawn to the Toyota brand anyway....in the end.....because of their reputation? Could be. ????

????????????

17 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I liked the civic hatchback (over the old civic sedan). Unfortunately, that harchback didnt get the updated motor of the new civic sedan. I owned a 2.0 civic from 2004 to 2019. It was a pretty good car but thirsty. Sold that for the crv diesel. 

The city is pretty comfortable on most roads except badly potholed roads. Another negative is a lack of soem safety equipment compared to the ativ. Personally I dont care to much for such items, but needed full airbags. I really like the lanewatch in the crv, but you need to get the city ehev to get that - that car is also a good choice, but comes in at like 840K or so. 

Also try the wr-v. It has a higher driving position that some may like (my wife doesn't). No idea of fuel consumption for it. One test showed a 0-100km/k of 11 seconds, so not too bad. Its basically a honda jazz engine that have been shown to be very reliable. 

For honda, you may need to make a booking in advance for a test drive, as not all dealers have all the test drive models available. 

You may alo get better deals in BKK than in a smaller town. One of my wife's friends is a dealer in Ratchaburi, and they gave a worse deal on our crv compared to a Nonthaburi dealer. 

Whatever car you get, I recommend

1) ceramic coat (our dealer also has this service)

2) underbody coating

3) for the city - complete sound insulation(or turn up the stereo 55), you can also get paint protection film for the front part of the car to protect against stone chips. Our crv has had ceramic coat for 4 years and there is not a scratch on it (just a couple of unavoidable dings). 

DavisH, this is a pretty comprehensive & enormously helpful selection of advice & tips and I'm grateful for it. ????

First thought: those crv's sound good. ????

I'm tempted. Popular for a good reason, right? 

The comfort level on bad roads re the City would be problematic for us as around here the roads are particularly bad. Interesting. 

Lanewatch? Any increased-safety features have to be good, so if not there on cheaper models, not great. Will consider that.

Honda wr-v....good info. Higher up seating no problem. 'Basically a Honda Jazz engine..'   I don't think  i have any complaints about that! ????

You're right about Bkk dealerships vs the sticks. Out here in Issarn it's more 'sleepy' and can get frustrating!????

Ceramic coatings? I am ignorant of such things. Sounds very good, though ???? I will do some homework on that and its availability in my area.

Thanks again. ????????????

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Yes, regarding the overall height and higher seating set-up, I feel that would be a good thing, that does not negatively affect the advantages (IMO, as far as my wife's needs are concerned) of it being a shorter vehicle length-wise. I think she wants to be more higher up, rather than way down low. She's used to being (as a front passenger) in our pick-up for 14 years, a bit higher than the average car, I suppose. For me, the length, and to some extent the width, is what's crucial. (Said the actress to the bishop! ????????)

I used to drive a Toyota Yaris Verso which was a car/van and shorter than the current  yaris version

3.86m long, 1.69m wide and 1.6m tall, versus current yaris 4.16m long 1.73m wide and 1.5m tall the back middle seat could be removed and the rear floor was detachable so you could store the rear seats into the floor giving you 2160 litres of storage space enough space to carry a 5ft 6inches freezer or a 65 in tv or a 4ft 6inches mattress

No oil painting it would win any beauty contests but still in use 21 years after purchased

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/car-reviews/toyota/verso/yaris-verso-1999-2008/

So its worth looking at how each car manufacturer utilizes the internal space for example at the time 2160 cubic litres of storage space would looking at a renualt scenic or Ford galaxy both much larger cars

Edited by vinny41
add

23 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Honda wr-v....good info. Higher up seating no problem. 'Basically a Honda Jazz engine..'   I don't think  i have any complaints about that! ????

Ok, if you are Issan, consider the wr-v. I just read the ground clearance is 220mm. My crv is 208mm, so that's pretty impressive. This will cope better with bad roads I think. Top spec has a pretty comprehensive safety package. If I was looking for a car right now this would be high on my list. I live in an area that floods in the wet season, which is one of the reasons I got the crv. Last October I saw dozens of flood damaged cars along the roadside in MuangThongThani.  In one area, even the pickup trucks were u-turning to avoid deep water. 1678108097_881.jpg

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I used to drive a Toyota Yaris Verso which was a car/van and shorter than the current  yaris version

3.86m long, 1.69m wide and 1.6m tall, versus current yaris 4.16m long 1.73m wide and 1.5m tall the back middle seat could be removed and the rear floor was detachable so you could store the rear seats into the floor giving you 2160 litres of storage space enough space to carry a 5ft 6inches freezer or a 65 in tv or a 4ft 6inches mattress

No oil painting it would win any beauty contests but still in use 21 years after purchased

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/car-reviews/toyota/verso/yaris-verso-1999-2008/

So its worth looking at how each car manufacturer utilizes the internal space for example at the time 2160 cubic litres of storage space would looking at a renualt scenic or Ford galaxy both much larger cars

That Verso looks entirely practical, has a modest cuteness to it and I love it! ????

I like the big windows. Visibility must have been good, meaning increased safety. I recall early Yaris cars & hatchbacks had bigger windows and then all of a sudden, Toyota switched to the lower profile, smaller window look that matched the Ford Fiesta styling and that really bugged me, because to me it was a blatant compromize on safety. But that's just my opinion! ????

Anyway.....love that Verso!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DavisH said:

Ok, if you are Issan, consider the wr-v. I just read the ground clearance is 220mm. My crv is 208mm, so that's pretty impressive. This will cope better with bad roads I think. Top spec has a pretty comprehensive safety package. If I was looking for a car right now this would be high on my list. I live in an area that floods in the wet season, which is one of the reasons I got the crv. Last October I saw dozens of flood damaged cars along the roadside in MuangThongThani.  In one area, even the pickup trucks were u-turning to avoid deep water. 1678108097_881.jpg

Yes, I noticed that height off-ground too. And like you, we get floods here.

I used to think that people who liked to sit higher up on the road were often just being pretentious, but whether or not that's true, I know now there are definite, practical advantages to it and I prefer it myself now!????

As soon as I'm able, I'll get down to the local Honda dealer and see if they have one to look over. My wife is certainly interested. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Toolong said:

Yes, I noticed that height off-ground too. And like you, we get floods here.

I used to think that people who liked to sit higher up on the road were often just being pretentious, but whether or not that's true, I know now there are definite, practical advantages to it and I prefer it myself now!????

As soon as I'm able, I'll get down to the local Honda dealer and see if they have one to look over. My wife is certainly interested. ????

And yes, we are in Isaan, btw.

19 hours ago, connda said:

FYI.  Before we bought, the Suzuki dealership in Chiang Mai drove a test Celerio to our home in Lamphun to allow us to test drive the car.  Good customer service.

Now that's salesmanship! ????????

14 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Yes, I'm not ready yet to put my faith in EV's. Too many doubts. ????????