So the arrival forms are now back

4 hours ago, AlbionBob said:

A friend of mine, on a world cruise, alighted at Laem Chabang a few days ago for a two-day stopover.  Didn’t have to go through any immigration, didn’t have to fill in any forms or show passport or anything - just walked off the boat, caught a bus and was in Pattaya half an hour later !  Seems strange given all the rigmarole the rest of us have to go through !

The cruise ship most likely took care of every thing for them

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

Mai Sai recently reopened to foreigners. See https://aseannow.com/topic/1288241-mae-sai-border-bounce/?do=findComment&comment=17944916 for all the details.

whew  i feel better as I hope to use this route for the 2x border hops from CNX.....without having to do the long haul to Laos and a visa i dont need..

16 hours ago, proton said:

Anyone know why still on land?

Partly it seems due to the fact that they want to know the tourists' whereabouts. Also, recently entering, the IO took a long time to verify the hotel name and location I had written on the form. It took him a while to find it on the computer, but he really made sure it existed.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The reason given for suspending it at the airports was to ease process times with io.

Not such an issue at border crossings 

Prior to the suspension, there had also been some discussion about doing away with them permanently - apparently they don't see the point in them (neither do we) and storage was becoming a problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Quite right.

Expats in Thailand do think they are entitled to a different level of service than offered by most other countries. Not only that, instead of being grateful for the service on offer the majority treat the system with contempt.

There is some satisfaction in seeing the "anointed ones" squeal when their superior attitude works against them. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stevenl said:

I think immigration procedures are already done by cruise staff ahead of time.

Yes. A few years ago a friend of mine in the UK did an Asian cruise and he was sent a load of immigration forms forwhere the ship was calling and had to complete them if he wanted to disembark. Came over and asked me if it was worth getting off in Thailand. Good job he did, the ship couldn't dock somewhere else and they were in Thailand for a week, put up at the Shangri-La. Those that hadn't done the immigration paperwork had to stay on board.

On 3/17/2023 at 8:16 AM, DrJack54 said:

The reason given for suspending it at the airports was to ease process times with io.

Not such an issue at border crossings 

Simple, ín the airports, they are using  the flight boarding pass,  As an entry slip