Texas Education Officials Want to Rewrite Climate Science in State Textbooks

onthedarkside

image.png.fdb32fd38c0ee85d350d38469581b472.png

Instead of connecting global warming to rising emissions, conservatives in the state want schools to ascribe the changes to "natural" fluctuations.

Officials in Texas want to make sure the state’s science textbooks don’t paint oil and gas in a bad light. The Texas State Board of Education shifted its guidance to schools last month, asking that they focus on the supposedly “positive” aspects of fossil fuels in educational material, E&E News reported.

The board, which is dominated by Republicans, adopted changes proposed by board member Patricia Hardy.

https://gizmodo.com/texas-education-board-climate-science-textbooks-1850232819

image.png.7a79e135880c53402170fa92de6ba53f.png

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Probably the best defence against these people is just to take the Mickey, constantly and continuously.

They will never abandon their beliefs but ridicule will remind everyone how stupid they are!

They have big money and hey believe their big mony should dominate and be the decider of everything. Ignorance and arrogance in big big heaps.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Thanks for the silly word game. But the issue is based in science not semantics. It's not about climate change per se, but about rate of change. To make it clear to you, if you had a choice to make 2 equally safe investments, but one paid 1 percent and the other 10 percent, which one would you chose? According to your way of thinking, since both are increasing, it wouldn't matter which one you invested in. Not only is the average global temperature increasing, but it's doing so at an accelerating rate. The last 8 years have been the hottest on record. And that's despite some of those year occurring during a phenomenon called La Nina, which actually make global temperatures lower than they would otherwise have been.

I think I'll just stand by what I said. I do not need a lecture, I already attended many on the subject. If you want to talk about warming fine, but that is one only part of climate change. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Only one part of climate change?

This is like saying the issue of why my car won't go has nothing to do with whether or not there's petrol in the tank. I

No, it's not.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s not your reading list that is being politically manipulated, well not by others at least.

You obviously are too politically absorbed to have any idea what you are talking about.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, James105 said:

They really should be getting their info from Greta, as she really knows what she is talking about:

image.png.fca83273a376bd2fe2514649e9d96f05.png

Just need to figure out what I am going to do with the 3 months humanity has remaining as of course will need to make the most of it!  

I knew Greta would appear sooner or later.

On the upside, she’s turned twenty already, your obsession is no longer with a teenager.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, James105 said:

They really should be getting their info from Greta, as she really knows what she is talking about:

Just need to figure out what I am going to do with the 3 months humanity has remaining as of course will need to make the most of it!  

Nowhere is it said that humanity will b wiped out within 5 years. It says humanity will be wiped out unless we stop using fossil fuels within 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2023 at 4:27 AM, Credo said:

You can't write with an eraser, and this is nothing more than an attempt to erase scientific facts.   Climate Change is not caused by natural events.  It's not associated with any natural event, like the sun cycle or volcanic eruptions.   The link between CO2 (and methane) has been proven in the laboratory -- there are several small experiments that can be used in HS to show how it works.  It's been shown in places like the biosphere, and now it is happening in real life and real time.   

In your opinion.

If it were a fact, un necessary air travel would likely have been banned, not encouraged.

If it were a fact, people like Gore and DiCaprio probably wouldn't be traveling by private jet

If it were a fact, an ex US president probably wouldn't be buying beachfront property in Hawaii.

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1

21 hours ago, stevenl said:

Nowhere is it said that humanity will b wiped out within 5 years. It says humanity will be wiped out unless we stop using fossil fuels within 5 years.

and given that we have NOT stopped using fossil fuel and that was written in 2018, should we all be preparing for death about now?

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, James105 said:

Well, if we had stopped using fossil fuel in 2018 most of western humans would probably have starved to death by now, as most of us depend on food grown with tractors and transported by truck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and given that we have NOT stopped using fossil fuel and that was written in 2018, should we all be preparing for death about now?

I thought you were a native speaker with better comprehension than this.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1