Amazon Purchases above 40,000 THB

garania

Anybody here has first hand experience with ordering from Amazon above 40000 THB in total? Was it a fairly painless process? What pits should I watch out for?

Backstory:

Im looking to build a new PC however the prices here for the parts I want are just way too high/ nowhere to be found. Really entertaining the idea of ordering them all from Amazon as they will be cheaper (even with shipping and tax) compared to buying from InvadeIT, BananaIT, JIB, etc. Planning to look around Zeer Rangsit and Fortune Town IT as well.

My only concern is that Thai custom (Category 3 part 1) would require me to submit and import declaration form since it would be above 40000THB. Not sure how this will go so any first hand experience will be much appreciated

Thank you for your wisdom o great ones

35 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I think Amazon pre pay all the taxes and duties so you shouldn't have to declare anything.

I often get an email from them that they are refunding me some money because the duties weren't as high as anticipated.

Does your purchases exceed 40,000 THB? 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, phetphet said:

I think Amazon pre pay all the taxes and duties so you shouldn't have to declare anything.

I often get an email from them that they are refunding me some money because the duties weren't as high as anticipated.

That's my understanding as well

Amazon Global will handle all the paperwork and customs/import tariffs.

Painless 

I've even gotten money returned for overpayment of import taxes and or tariffs. 

Why not just order a high end gaming computer?  Much cheaper than ordering it in parts and putting it together piecemeal. 

Edited by MrJ2U

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Painless 

I've even gotten money returned for overpayment of import taxes and or tariffs. 

Why not just order a high end gaming computer?  Much cheaper than ordering it in parts and putting it together piecemeal. 

Yes they sure will handle that.....$$$$$$....  lol

• Sad 1

Is 40,000 baht a special customs limit? I just bought an item for 20,000 via Amazon UK. It was sold without UK VAT but Amazon added an estimated Thai Customs fee (about the same amount). Delivered by UPS, no problems at all from Thai customs.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Is 40,000 baht a special customs limit? I just bought an item for 20,000 via Amazon UK. It was sold without UK VAT but Amazon added an estimated Thai Customs fee (about the same amount). Delivered by UPS, no problems at all from Thai customs.

Yup!  Thai custom << See this link for the 40,000 Baht "limit". However upon doing additional research (asking people on the internet) Amazon.com (not Amazon UK) seems to just handle all issues just like MrJ2U said.

Here is a link I posted on reddit regarding this and the response there are pretty much unanimous. 

If anyone has actually ordered from Amazon, totalling above 40,000 Baht, Id like to confirm the consensus. I might also just do 2 orders to fly under the radar, as mentioned previously, to avoid the exciting adventure with Thai customs 

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Yes they sure will handle that.....$$$$$$....  lol

Computers and laptops unfortunately are very expensive in Thailand. 

You'll most likely  find a much better deal on Amazon than anyplace within Thailand. And they'll be up to date. 

There's no import taxes on laptops or computers.

Computers & laptops 0%

.https://www.moneymgmnt.com/tax/minimising-customs-duty-import-tax-thailand/

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Its been a few years but I ordered a monitor that was over 40k baht from Amazon. I ordered through Amazon specifically because it was cheaper than buying a similar spec monitor locally. Amazon listed the taxes needed. I checked out and paid everything. Delivery was on time no issues. Product arrived safely. About three or four weeks after delivery I received refund of overpayment on the import taxes etc. (it wasnt much maybe $30 or so if I remember correctly). I didnt have any issue in regard to an Import Declaration. The tracking showed when it arrived in Thailand and under customs inspection. As well as when it was released from customs. I know they inspected the box because it was opened. I think the total cost of my monitor was 50k or a little more than that. 

I order from Amazon often for computer parts but I think that is the only order I made at 40k or above. 

I read through the link about the guy who ordered the laptop. It wasnt specified where he ordered it from or if was just sent from someone. Things can be drastically different. I once ordered something from New Egg and when it got here I had to pay about 80% of product cost in import tax/tariff. Also had an item sent from a friend and customs wanted a copy of my passport and alot of money in tax. (I told them send it back). Thats why I only order through Amazon now. Because if the cost is over what they list they cover the extra cost. And will refund the difference if less. Amazon uses DHL, UPS, USPS and others for delivery of goods and seem to have a good bead on it all. I like knowing how much I will have to pay vice the surprise when it gets here. 

Edited by johnjohn2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/19/2023 at 7:40 AM, garania said:

Yup!  Thai custom << See this link for the 40,000 Baht "limit". However upon doing additional research (asking people on the internet) Amazon.com (not Amazon UK) seems to just handle all issues just like MrJ2U said.

Here is a link I posted on reddit regarding this and the response there are pretty much unanimous. 

If anyone has actually ordered from Amazon, totalling above 40,000 Baht, Id like to confirm the consensus. I might also just do 2 orders to fly under the radar, as mentioned previously, to avoid the exciting adventure with Thai customs 

It's nice to see Amazon makes Customs clearance so easy. I'll probably start using them for some purchases.

What worries me a bit with purchasing computer parts from the US is the exchange and warranty process and eligibility. I've purchased enough computers and parts that I've had almost every type of part be DOA or fail under warranty. When I purchased from Fortune Town or Pantip, that meant bringing the part or computer back to them, they do some quick tests, swap, and I'm good to go. Doing that via Amazon in the US seems like a huge time suck.

Then the warranty question... will you be covered if you try to make a warranty claim in 6 months or 2 years while living in Thailand for a part purchased in the US? The likely answer is no, and you're stuck shipping the part back to the US for a friend or family member to make the claim for you. That's a headache for you and them. Then shipping the warranty replacement back and you could be looking at paying import duties again. The savings would have to be sufficient enough that I'd be comfortable tossing any parts that go bad while under warranty.

Good luck with the new computer. I saw the specs on reddit and it looks like a beast!

Edited by spongeworthy

The custom hassles depends on which carrier the amazon seller uses.  DHL and UPS can be problematic.  UPS has asked for me to mail my passport to them a couple of times  Then they want a description of the item, in Thai also. This in spite of them sending an attachement with a description of the item. A picture of the item.  And a sales receipt.  Customs is not the problem.  It is these companies.  In my experience the best way if possible is to use regular postal service.

They will also tell you that the item can not be returned if you don't give them what they want.  I refused to mail my passport to them.  One item was so valuable I ended up having my niece go to their office at the airport with my passport.  The other one was a box of candy canes.  I just let it die in delivery.  After I explained everything to amazon they did refund the money to me though.

Edited by rwill
  • Thumbs Up 1