Too much vitamins she said?

georgegeorgia

9 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You could copy & paste your answer aand add it to every question in this forum 

this is a health & medicine forum , im asking what vitamins forum members here take , and the reasons why they take vitamins no use asking my doctor what she takes 

many of the people on here have excellent knowledge of natural health related matters far better than my doctor 

if you want to get into “qualified medical personnel “ as you call them , sounds good until you turn up at a medical centre and see a guy whose English is not good and has no idea what testereone is , so I’m not sure why you have any faith for qualified medical personnel?

"and has no idea what testereone is"

I can't believe that the guy whose English wasn't very good didn't even know what testereone is. Everyone knows that.

Edited by Myran

5 minutes ago, Myran said:

"and has no idea what testereone is"

I can't believe that the guy whose English wasn't very good didn't even know what testereone is. Everyone knows that.

In Australia we have “bulk billing “ GP doctors and private billing doctors, I changed to private billing medical centre $80 rather than the government free bulk billing as the bulk billing free Medicare doctors were how can I say it nicely. Had limited knowledge and rushed you in & out 

im sure every Aussie knows what I’m talking about 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I hadn't taken vitamins for years and I've been a vegetarian for 50.  Not that I eat well.  Last fall after a checkup the Doc said I was low on Vitamin D, so now I take that (1000 IU)  or every 2-3 days a multi-vitamin with same D amount. 

I do not believe in overdosing on vitamins.  Beer is a different story. ????

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

If you follow a balanced diet, why would you need to take extra vitamins?   I can understand that if you are vegan, you might be missing out on your daily recommended dosage of some vitamins, but that's the only reason I can think of.

Many people have issues with their gut which affects the absorption of vitamins and minerals, hence for many there is a need for these people to take vitamin & mineral supplements. Gut issues are a bit like diabetes - many people suffer from it but don't know. Many people with gut issues are deficient in the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.

Also, if you have high stress, this will burn through some of the B vitamins, burn through Magnesium and if you become deficient then there can be a cascade of effects.

Bottom line is that for many people, a balanced diet is not enough. And as I am sure you will agree, many people these days do not eat a balanced diet!

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

She asked me about my vitamin intake 

Daily 2 X vitamin B complex 

4 X 1000 iu vitamin D 

2 X Tribulas 

I X berrocca 

2x vitamin C 

1x magnesium 

2x zinc 

1x vitamin E 

There is an art to taking vitamins from the time of day when it is best to take certain vitamins to which vitamins and minerals not to take at the same time, and to the dosage.

My personal vitamin regime is Vitamin D and K2 (during the 5 coldest months of the year only), vitamin B complex, fish oil, Magnesium and zinc. NOT ALL VITAMINS ARE THE SAME so don't think it is best to go for the cheapest option. Some contain fillers. Some are less absorbable etc. With the likes of Magnesium, different forms of Magnesium come with different benefits. Magnesium glycinate is quite different to Magnesium citrate.

In your list, Berocca strikes me as redundant as you're getting most of what is in that from your other supplements. Tribulas I have no idea about. You may not need to take so much Vitamin C - but you could have a reason for the high dose. Vitamin D is a supplement that almost all of us should be taking.

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How do you know that?

If you think your doctor is that bad why don't you look for a better doctor?

Or do you think like that all doctors don't know what they are doing?

Many doctors have inadequate knowledge about nutrition. For many, it was but a few hours in their training. What you eat (and don't eat) has a MASSIVE effect on your health. If there is a shortfall with some Western trained doctors, it is the gaping hole in their knowledge of nutrition and applying it to their patients.

Edited by mstevens
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

If taking a multivitamin/mineral supplement makes you feel better, by all means continue taking Berocca but stay within the recommended dosis and forget all the other stuff you are taking unless you are diagnosed to have a deficiency of a particular vitamin or mineral.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

...Many people with gut issues are deficient in the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K...

Gut problems come in various forms and have varius causes.

Overdosing with fat-soluble vitamins can seriously damage the liver or other organs. (Vitamin D from exposure to sunlight has no adverse effects)

Excessive doses of some minerals can cause damage to some organs.

Edited by Puccini

eat meat for B vitamins.

eat fruit for vitamin C.

a banana has magnesium, but not sure if it's enough for daily needs. 

not saying you shouldn't supplement, but maybe also find out which foods contain these vitamins. 

cheap supplements have fillers which are harmful. 

The only vitamin supplement I have seen recommended is for Vitamin D for people living in the Northern Hemisphere (or Falkland Islands in the Southern) as the lack of sunlight IN THE WINTER (and only then) makes you deficient. 600-800 IU per day is enough. You are taking FAR more than is needed and if you live in Thailand you don't need it anyway! (provided you go outside in the daytime and not wait until sunset before you rise ???? )

Apart from that, none is needed if you eat a "normal" balanced diet.

Everything else is unnecessary - and can be harmful. Too much Vit C just gets urinated out for example - pointless.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

You could copy & paste your answer aand add it to every question in this forum 

this is a health & medicine forum , im asking what vitamins forum members here take , and the reasons why they take vitamins no use asking my doctor what she takes 

many of the people on here have excellent knowledge of natural health related matters far better than my doctor 

if you want to get into “qualified medical personnel “ as you call them , sounds good until you turn up at a medical centre and see a guy whose English is not good and has no idea what testereone is , and passed his medical exams because the parents had money in Mumbai or Shanghai so I’m not sure why you have any faith for qualified medical personnel nowadays ?

many of these forum members have life experience and knowledge far far greater than some 25yo kid from Mumbai working as a GP in a medical centre 

Wow! Bizarre response. Maybe while you are looking for medical advice here you should look for mental help as well. Just trying to help.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

eat meat for B vitamins.

eat fruit for vitamin C.

a banana has magnesium, but not sure if it's enough for daily needs. 

not saying you shouldn't supplement, but maybe also find out which foods contain these vitamins. 

cheap supplements have fillers which are harmful. 

Eat Pu**y for all other nutrients and well being. It's the BEST supplement you can find.

Just now, save the frogs said:

thanks for the tip. i'll see if I can find some.

" i'll see if I can find some."... I think you misspoke. You meant to say.... " i'll see if I can buy some". If you have enough cash then YES YOU CAN!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I hadn't taken vitamins for years and I've been a vegetarian for 50.  Not that I eat well.  Last fall after a checkup the Doc said I was low on Vitamin D, so now I take that (1000 IU)  or every 2-3 days a multi-vitamin with same D amount. 

Best post I read all day. You are a realist Dam. 

Best part.... "I do not believe in overdosing on vitamins.  Beer is a different story." 

I could not agree more. ???? 

Thanks for the chuckle brother!!

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I have been vegetarian for 50 years but need B12, D3 occasionally as well