Fuel Consumption - Toyota Hilux Revo Prerunner Double-Cab 2.8L AT 4x4 (2023)

TR001

I recently purchased a new truck (Toyota Hilux Revo Prerunner Double-Cab 2.8L AT 4x4). The window sticker claims 13.2K per/Liter. The sticker does not differentiate between City and Highway, only the 13.2 Kilometers per liter. After driving the truck for 1 month, and receiving perfect scores in the Toyota iConnect App for both OVERALL driving and acceleration, we only get 7.9 to 8.1 Kilometers per liter; significantly less than Toyota's claim. When driving, we've been driving in ECO mode and have only used premium diesel gasoline (I'm not sure if it really makes a difference or not, but we go with the premium). In any case, I spoke with Toyota service department and they stated I should be close to 13.2K p/L, especially with our driving conservatively. Our truck is now with the dealership for investigation and possibly repair if they find an issue. I am wondering what type of mileage other Toyota owners of the same make/model are getting????

-Thomas

Not same car but I used Pajero sport over 3,000 km driven and was same about 9L best I got ,,,,,,,,terrible really this is 7 seater though with covered back has bit more weight than the trucks……next trip I used Honda city 1.5 turbo 19L/km????????????.

my friend got new fortuner he saying they use a lot.

yours can’t be pre runner 4x4 pre runner are 2 wheel drive.

Edited by taninthai

49 minutes ago, TR001 said:

Toyota owners of the same make/model are getting????

I had a Auto 3 ltr 4x4 vigo 4 door Drive it like a granny on a long motorway jorney, nearly 14 to litre, drive normally and locally around and in town 8 or 9 at best just using the standard B7 fuel.

51 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I had a Auto 3 ltr 4x4 vigo 4 door Drive it like a granny on a long motorway jorney, nearly 14 to litre, drive normally and locally around and in town 8 or 9 at best just using the standard B7 fuel.

I bought same in 2005 and on long trips was able to get 30mpg (Imperial gallons, figure I remember from the time) out of it. Amazing for such a big and powerful vehicle. Was a great truck. Ex Mrs still drives it.

Surely a new truck nowadays should be equally as efficient or better than the older models!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, taninthai said:

Not same car but I used Pajero sport over 3,000 km driven and was same about 9L best I got ,,,,,,,,terrible really this is 7 seater though with covered back has bit more weight than the trucks……next trip I used Honda city 1.5 turbo 19L/km????????????.

my friend got new fortuner he saying they use a lot.

yours can’t be pre runner 4x4 pre runner are 2 wheel drive.

2 hours ago, taninthai said:

Thank you, ....and you are correct, our truck is the REVO Double-cab 4x4 2.8 High AT. I had seen so many Toyota trucks with the "Pre-runner" sticker on the side that I just typed it automatically! We, like most people of course would like the functionality of a truck with the gas mileage of a Honda City! We test drove several of the smaller cars, and prefer a smaller car for most trips, but we like the utility of a truck and well....we obviously went with the truck, but quite disappointed in the gas consumption.

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Our Toyota Fortuner 3.0 diesel two-wheel drive gets about 13kpl highway driving at around 100kph. City driving about 8.6.

Thank you. With only one number on the sticker from the manufacturer, I assumed it was an average kpl city/highway. I never really expected to get 13.2 kpl, but I did expect something like 11.2 kpl or so... We drove from Kanchanaburi to Bangkok, some stop and go of course, but we really tried to stay a consistent 100kph with very slow starts when we were stopped. Maybe the 8.0 we are getting is realistic.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Exactly the same for my 2012 Vigo.

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I bought same in 2005 and on long trips was able to get 30mpg (Imperial gallons, figure I remember from the time) out of it. Amazing for such a big and powerful vehicle. Was a great truck. Ex Mrs still drives it.

Surely a new truck nowadays should be equally as efficient or better than the older models!

Reviews say Yes it is better the 2.8 has engine changes it is quieter and 6 gears and extra gizmos.

Wherever you look it doesn't come up much better on fuel kilos it is just more efficient.

Don't waste your money with premium diesel (from ptt/bangchak). It is euro5 diesel. Your pickup does not require euro5 and won't get any real benefit from it. My crv requires it, though i occasionaly use regular b7. I get an average of 16.2 km/l over the life of the car. Maxes out at 23km/l on the highway. Wife has a city turbo that averages about 18km/l overall. But I get the utility of a pickup for carrying big and dirty stuff around. 

22 hours ago, transam said:

Think your sticker probably states what is possible, there is no way anyone can quote actual mileage as we all drive differently....:stoner:

It does, in an odd way, at least for me. It shows 7.5/per 100 Kilos (=13.5K per L). I am guessing they divided 100 by 7.5, then rounded up to = the 13.5. In any case, your point is valid, I was just seeking information on a general average. We have been driving very conservatively and possibly getting poor fuel efficiency. I say possibly, because I may be misinterpreting the dash display. I actually may have to do a manual conversion myself....more to follow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for the information regarding premium diesel, I certainly prefer to pay the B7 price compared to premium! I will start calculating my mileage manually on the truck and then compare it to the dash display. I mentioned in a different post, I may have to do a manual calculation, vice what the display shows.

Our 2022 Fortuner 2.8l 4X4 auto gets 12 running at 110kph with the cruise set and in Power mode.  Wife won't use the cruise and gets under 11 also in Power mode - similar speed, but with more variation in speed. Unless it's primarily city driving your 7 to 8 seems low.  Do you have stock tires? Do they have the right pressure?  Are you often heavily loaded?