Ultramassive black hole around 33 billion times the mass of the sun discovered by UK astronomers

onthedarkside

On 4/2/2023 at 4:30 PM, TKDfella said:

Ha, I thought I had written simply anyway but I was really replying to a comment about Black Holes (BH) being similar. The simple answer is that they are not and it depends on several factors. Our Sun is not expected to become, eventually. a BH because it doesn't have enough mass. Our Sun will expand to become red giant and then after a billion years or so, will blast away most of the the outer gasses etc. and become a White dwarf, a compact bright object about the size of the Earth. More massive stars, say 10+ times our Sun, will become Super red giants then go super novae, collapse and become a Neutron star*. Here the quantum forces balance the massive gravitational force. However, in such a case finally the quantum forces are not enough, gravity takes over another collapse occurs this time forming a Black Hole. The characteristics of the BH will depend on the former neutron star (mass, rate of spin etc.). The term 'black Hole' is a bit misleading in everyday terms since most of us see a 'hole' as a circular pit on some surface. Potholes in the road for example, you make a hole in a sheet of paper and so on. Astronomical Black Holes are three dimensional 'holes' (spherical) meaning that no matter what direction you approach it you see a black void, a 'hole'. Somewhere inside that darkness all the mass that was the neutron star is now concentrated at the centre point of the dark sphere.(this is not the only possible scenario but it's the simplest one). The gravity around a 10 Sun mass BH will be strong enough to attract any other material that is around and because the 'hole is spinning the attraction will be in form of a disk. Very basically, the point where the material meets the dark surface is called the Event Horizon (EH), and as I said, it is spherical and the size of that dark sphere will depend on the concentrated mass inside. The more mass the bigger the sphere of the EH.

*(Another point is that there is more than one type of Neutron star...i won't go into details...so again, can affect the characteristics of the final outcome.)

I hope this is a 'good enough' explanation...If not I'll try again, Ha???? 

No need to try again. You explained it quite well. I had ( like most, I suspect ) the wrong idea about black holes. I did think they were like a Hoover.

Sooooo, seems like my theory about black holes causing the destruction and rebirth of the universe is wrong, and it is possible that this universe will just carry on as a collection of dead matter for ever.

Perhaps there really are new universes being created out there in infinite space.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No need to try again. You explained it quite well. I had ( like most, I suspect ) the wrong idea about black holes. I did think they were like a Hoover.

Sooooo, seems like my theory about black holes causing the destruction and rebirth of the universe is wrong, and it is possible that this universe will just carry on as a collection of dead matter for ever.

Perhaps there really are new universes being created out there in infinite space.

Yes, the are misconceptions but I wouldn't say that you were wrong at all. At the present time the scenario seems to be that the known universe is expanding and if that continues it could rip our universe apart. Galaxies will be stretched out then stars and their systems, right down to atoms. However, suppose this current rate of expansion slows down and stops, then BH's could well help the universe to collapse under gravitation and the whole things starts all over again. Scientists consider that all things tend towards a state of equilibrium and all that will be left is a thermal background. But others argue for a 'many worlds interpretation', 'Multiverse' or a single uni-something that is infinite and what we can see or exist in, is but a tiny micro-state of that infinity.....and I haven't mentioned the possibility of higher physical dimensions. So if you have an idea...keep it, you might just turn out to be right.????

• Like 1