Wall Street Journal reporter arrested in Russia as a Spy !

Social Media

The Wall Street Journal forcefully defended its reporter after he was arrested in Russia on allegations of espionage.

The Russian government's Federal Security Service said it had detained U.S. citizen and WSJ reporter Evan Gershkovitch in the city of Yekaterinburg and accused him of spying on behalf of the U.S. government.

Gershkovich is "suspected of spying in the interests of the US government," the FSB said in a statement reported by state news agency RIA Novosti. The FSB added his "illegal activities" "have been suppressed."

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

On Al Jazeera it was mentioned that he might have been investigating the Wagner group, which, if true, in the present situation would have been a bit risky.

I was just reading in a CNN article:
The FSB said Gershkovich was detained in Yekaterinburg, on the eastern side of the Ural Mountains, and claimed he was “trying to obtain secret information” relating to “the activities of one of the enterprises of the Russian military-industrial complex.”

Plenty of likely very sensitive military industrial installations in the area
https://nuke.fas.org/guide/russia/industry/docs/rus95/y_list.htm

For the moment I'm going with he was at least nosing around in a place he should not have been. Call him an overzealous reporter or a spy, your choice.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

I feel sorry for this guy. No more 'Merchant of Death' to trade for him.

17 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

One would think even if you were asking for directions in Russia and being a westerner that would be spying. Now lets see what president Biden does to get him back home.

Perhaps they can trade him for Sergey Vladimirovich Cherkasov who was indicted in the US just this last week.
https://news.yahoo.com/us-charges-russian-spy-whose-194404404.html

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

I was just reading in a CNN article:
The FSB said Gershkovich was detained in Yekaterinburg, on the eastern side of the Ural Mountains, and claimed he was “trying to obtain secret information” relating to “the activities of one of the enterprises of the Russian military-industrial complex.”

Plenty of likely very sensitive military industrial installations in the area
https://nuke.fas.org/guide/russia/industry/docs/rus95/y_list.htm

For the moment I'm going with he was at least nosing around in a place he should not have been. Call him an overzealous reporter or a spy, your choice.

The FSB said..........................

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In Russia being a legitimate journalist is illegal. North Korea redux. 

Sure thing, "illegal to be a legitimate journalist in Russia".  You realize he's been a journalist working and living in Russia for 6 years? How did he manage to evade the Russian authorities for so long, with all that illegal journalistic activity he's been engaged in?

• Sad 1