Re-entry at immigration or airport?

Depends on how far and convenient your immigration office is.

With the reported terrible chaos at Suvarnabhumi departure I wouldn't want another task to do. Often the zone 2 entry is closed (saw that on my own), so there must be some walking detour to do.

As far as I know you don't get a multiple re-entry permit at the airport? Only single.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

8 minutes ago, Chicksaw said:

Bonus: The RE desk stamps you out for immigration as well so no waiting in that long line.

Ok, didn't know about that.
The chaos and queues currently seem to result from new security screening.

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Depends on how far and convenient your immigration office is.

With the reported terrible chaos at Suvarnabhumi departure I wouldn't want another task to do. Often the zone 2 entry is closed (saw that on my own), so there must be some walking detour to do.

As far as I know you don't get a multiple re-entry permit at the airport? Only single.

If I can’t get multiple entry at airport, immigration is the only choice then. Thanks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

If I can’t get multiple entry at airport, immigration is the only choice then. Thanks.

Maybe someone can confirm.
But never reported here that I can remember.

Sounds like I am wrong:

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1528658385935437826

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Ok, didn't know about that.
The chaos and queues currently seem to result from new security screening.

RE counter is after security at the ground level. So you go through the security line like everyone else. But once at the ground level you bypass the imm exit lines which can be very long as well.

Re questions above, I got a multiple RE for 3800b at Suvarnabhumi.. So my conclusion is that if you get it at your local Imm off. when doing the extension that's good. If not, no point making a second trip. Just get it at the airport on the way out. Budget maybe 30mins. extra in case there's a line for RE. But I've never seen a crowd at that counter, usually a couple of people.

Just don't forget or you're screwed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chicksaw said:

Bonus: The RE desk stamps you out for immigration as well so no waiting in that long line

I've used it dozens of times, and they've never stamped me out. But they do allow you to partially cut the queue so that there should be no more than 5 or 6 people ahead of you.

I think it's better to pay the service charge because I've noticed that if you do it yourself, then at the 'consideration'/ processing area they take slightly longer. In any event, shouldn't take less than 5 minutes, and more than 25 minutes.

17 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Get it at the immigration. Much better and safer. I wouldn't take any risk at the airport (maybe a long queue and bye bye flight ✈️

And not just 1 long queue but possibly up to 4 at peak times: (1) check-in, (2) security, (3) re-entry permit and (4) Immigration, followed by a long trek to a distant departure gate only to be then told that boarding for your flight has closed!????

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And not just 1 long queue but possibly up to 4 at peak times: (1) check-in, (2) security, (3) re-entry permit and (4) Immigration, followed by a long trek to a distant departure gate only to be then told that boarding for your flight has closed!????

All of which has nothing to do with queue at the reentry permit office where often zero .

Regardless of how busy airport is the reentry permit often less than 20 minutes.

DMK 10 mins. 

As someone posted earlier..  depends on your immigration office and if your relatively handy.

In Bangkok best part of a day to obtain at CW. 

Edited by DrJack54

21 minutes ago, proton said:

Enough hassle at the airport without adding a re entry permit into it all, I'd never leave it until departing to get one

The OP did not obtain a reentry permit at time of his extension.

It now requires trip to immigration and if that's a long process then it's a no brainer.

Perhaps you haven't done a reentry permit at airports. 

It's a breeze.

BKK even offers an option of "service fee" 200baht ...

They do all..provide form, photocopies pp and pp. 

Personally done 9 at airports and 1 at CW. .... No brainer if you don't obtain the permit same time as extension visit. 

For the paranoid, I can understand wanting to do the re-entry permit in advance at the immigration office. However, I have literally never heard of anyone missing a flight because the re-entry permit took too long at Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang. In fact, when the immigration counters are swamped, using the re-entry desk may get you through faster at Suvarnabhumi where they can get you an express exit stamp if they see you are cutting things fine. I have not applied for a re-entry permit at an immigration office for about 10 years unless planning to exit by land.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/1/2023 at 3:33 PM, KhunBENQ said:

As far as I know you don't get a multiple re-entry permit at the airport? Only single

Rubbish.

Single Re entry = 1000 baht, multiple 3800 baht.

I got it at DMK airport

On 4/1/2023 at 3:28 PM, Chicksaw said:

The RE desk stamps you out for immigration as well so no waiting in that long line.

Now that is a winning argument to remember, even if for this year I've already been to local immi.

On 4/1/2023 at 3:28 PM, Chicksaw said:

Definitely get it at the airport. I got mine last month as Suvarnubhumi. As Dr. J says it's in zone 2 after security at the immigration counters level. Look right to the end of the hall and you'll see the RE counter.

The line for RE should be short. I had three ahead of me and sat and waited for about 10 mins before being ushered to the processing desk which is after immigration. Processing took a couple of minutes, stamped and done.

Bonus: The RE desk stamps you out for immigration as well so no waiting in that long line.

But note that PR holders cannot get an 'exit/re-entry' stamp at the airport.

PR holders can only get an 'exit/re-entry' stamp at an immigration office. 

Just an update. I went to my immigration and got it today. Couple of interesting encounters. 1) io1 got my application and money (4K) at 11am, asked me to wait outside a bit to get it. At 12:30 I went inside to check. “Everybody at lunch 12-1pm. Come back later. It would’ve been nice to have a sign or something so people can prepare rather than sitting outside. Even better if they have staggered lunches like many other places. 2) after 1pm was asked to see io2. She started entering my details into computer and took photo, passed my stuff to io3, a little while later back to io2. Got my stamped passport and receipt for 3800. I said thank you and pointed to the receipt asking for the balance. She called io1, and after a little while io1 handed me the 200. I got the impression that they expected me not to ask for the 200. Usually I tip them but this time did not. 3) the car park slot for deputy director had a Porsche parked in it. I’m sure if someone scratches the surface like what they did recently in other zones they would find some anomalies. 

All in all, not a bad experience and don’t have do it at the airport, more time to relax. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

“Everybody at lunch 12-1pm. Come back later. It would’ve been nice to have a sign or something so people can prepare rather than sitting outside. Even better if they have staggered lunches like many other places. 2)

What many other immigration offices and for that matter consulates outside of Thailand have staggered lunch break.

Seems you wasted best part of a day for stamp that you could have obtained at airport in minutes. 

As they say "up to you".

Rather foolish option in my book. 

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What many other immigration offices and for that matter consulates outside of Thailand have staggered lunch break.

Seems you wasted best part of a day for stamp that you could have obtained at airport in minutes. 

As they say "up to you".

Rather foolish option in my book. 

Did I say other immigration offices? You seemed incorrect regarding time wastage. You keep your book to yourself “up to you”. ???? 

10 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Did I say other immigration offices? You seemed incorrect regarding time wastage. You keep your book to yourself “up to you”. ???? 

You stated the following....

“Everybody at lunch 12-1pm. Come back later. It would’ve been nice to have a sign or something so people can prepare rather than sitting outside' 

Which immigration office does not close from 12-1pm.

You have done extensions previously?

How would you not know that.

On 4/3/2023 at 7:35 PM, AustinRacing said:

Just an update. I went to my immigration and got it today. Couple of interesting encounters. 1) io1 got my application and money (4K) at 11am, asked me to wait outside a bit to get it. At 12:30 I went inside to check. “Everybody at lunch 12-1pm. Come back later. It would’ve been nice to have a sign or something so people can prepare rather than sitting outside. Even better if they have staggered lunches like many other places. 2) after 1pm was asked to see io2. She started entering my details into computer and took photo, passed my stuff to io3, a little while later back to io2. Got my stamped passport and receipt for 3800. I said thank you and pointed to the receipt asking for the balance. She called io1, and after a little while io1 handed me the 200. I got the impression that they expected me not to ask for the 200. Usually I tip them but this time did not. 3) the car park slot for deputy director had a Porsche parked in it. I’m sure if someone scratches the surface like what they did recently in other zones they would find some anomalies. 

All in all, not a bad experience and don’t have do it at the airport, more time to relax. 

Which immigration office is yours? It seems like a really important detail to not include.

8 hours ago, daejung said:

Sure better, but in that case do we have to queue a second time?

Wouldn't call it a queue.

At DMK it's an office immediately other side of passport control.

Most times the office has zero people waiting.

BKK might have a couple.

Doesn't take long.

At BKK they even provide an optional service (fee 200b) and they do the paperwork and photo.

On 4/1/2023 at 3:22 PM, DrJack54 said:

Both work fine.

For me it's a no brainer...

If you don't obtain one at time of extension then the airport is a winner.

At BKK airport you apply zone 2 just after security and prior to immigration 

They will do the form etc for 200b service fee.

I prefer to do it myself and take to airpport. 

Indeed, getting the Re-Entry Permit in the Airport is quite easy and takes less than 10 minutes if you are the sole customer. 

Three important aspects when considering this

#1 - At Suvarnabhumi there are 2 entrances for International Departures.  You should take entrance 2, as it is there that the Re-Entry Permit service is located. After you passed the 'screening' of your hand-luggage, and go to the Immigration Stamp-Out hall, the Re-Entry Permit service is indicated and it is at the left-side of the various counters where you are being stamped out.  So you should go for the Re-Entry Permit first, and once you have it then go back, and queue at one of the counters to get stamped out. 

#2 - You need to bring 1.200,- THB in cash, as they do not accept debit- or creditcards to pay for the service (1.000 THB being the standard price for the One Time Re-Entry Permit, and 200 THB for the administrative service)

#3 - As dr Jack suggested, you can bring your already filled-in application form with you, and head straight to Immigration (at the end of the corridor 10 meter from the small Re-Entry Permit service desk)

When making use of the desk-service you don't need to fill out the Re-Entry Permit form beforehand, nor provide a photograph. The Airport Immigration service fills out the form for you based on your Passport details and takes a picture of you, but the service costs 200 THB.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1