Latest on Savannakhet One-Year Multi-Entry.... just been and done.

On 4/3/2023 at 6:16 PM, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for being polite.

Clearly we have very different views on it.

Bit off topic but the ME non O marriage has been discussed as a misused visa. 

My take on that is ...not interested as it's a valid option so go for it.

If I was married it would be my go to visa as I enjoy travel to Saigon.

Would suit me perfectly.

The thing is when something makes it impossible eg covid then it's bit p weak to have folk complain that the 400k for 3 months is out of their reach.

It is a fact that some people make poor choices in life, have difficulties and  illnesses limiting their income, have other financial issues,  but have the fortune or misfortune of wanting to marry a Thai person. Personally I think being married to a Thai gives somebody more commitment to the country than people who come on retirement visas. We have Thai families and networks, are more likely to be able to speak Thai and see a lot more of Thai culture than people. I doubt many retirees go to the Temples for tom boon. I  think it is more p- poor that you come to a country, have no connection to it except spending money and criticize people who have made a commitment to leave their home country because of love, but sadly do not have the cash to leave 400, 000 in a bank account in Thailand for 3 months. I think it is also partly a policy  of immigration to prevent 1000's of angry Thai wives bashing down their doors because their husband has been forced to leave the country because he does not have the cash.  Personally my wife has more money than me and does not need me to provide over  30,000 a month to support her in a country where the average monthly wage is well under 20,000 and you can rent a room for a few 1000b a month.  Ps. Thank you for all your advice in the past.

• Haha 2

No, because when I went, there weren't any applicants for tourist visa.

However, a Russian who was staying at the same hotel - and had done the Multiple Entry visa, - said that they were giving tourist visa applicants a hard time. Especially as regards showing bank statements, and even money in a Thai bank (yes, money in a Thai bank for tourist visa entry.. it doesn't get more crazy.)

His theory was that they just didn't want to issue tourist visas - whatever the situation, it doesn't sound good for tourist visa applicants at Savannakhet.

But all's good for the Multi-Entry non-O based on marriage.. provided you have all the required documents, you should sail through.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kwilco said:

did you notice if they were checking Tourist visa applicants for 20k in the bank?

What do they list for TR application support on their Consular website?

With the single, Indian file submission queue and tiny window at Savannakhet, it's pretty hard to check what the person in front is either submitting or getting asked. If an applicant turns away all angry and stomps off muttering and cursing, I wouldn't be game to ask them what hurdle they got tripped up on.

Maybe a recent TR applicant will drop by and advise?

4 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

I thought it wasn't worth all the paperwork and hassle just for a day or two.

For a longer visit maybe.

It takes (or rathe took) about 30 minutes to get from Big C, Mukdahan to Savannakhet and the same the other way. It's usually a lot faster than taking the shuttle as you don't always have to queue for you passport to be stamped, they will do drivers with the car.

Edited by kwilco

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What do they list for TR application support on their Consular website?

With the single, Indian file submission queue and tiny window at Savannakhet, it's pretty hard to check what the person in front is either submitting or getting asked. If an applicant turns away all angry and stomps off muttering and cursing, I wouldn't be game to ask them what hurdle they got tripped up on.

Maybe a recent TR applicant will drop by and advise?

Last Time I was there - pre Covid renewing a B visa, I spent a lot of time driving in and out of Savannakhet so people could get online and download a copy of their bank balance..

39 minutes ago, kwilco said:

It takes (or rathe took) about 30 minutes to get from Big C, Mukdahan to Savannakhet and the same the other way. It's usually a lot faster than taking the shuttle as you don't always have to queue for you passport to be stamped, they will do drivers with the car.

I opted for a Thai driver to take me over and back. I watched the procedure carefully and it's pretty quick: personal immigration, car immigration and on the way after getting the QR code. There was only ever 2 or 3 people in the queue. If I do it next year and it costs less than the 3000 baht the local guy charged me, I may get the 'car passport', insurance cover and whatever else is needed and do it myself.

As we drove through after maybe 10 minutes doing the in/out procedures, I saw some glum faces on those sitting in the waiting room, waiting for a bus.

Purple book for the car cost about 100/200 baht from DVLC.

You need the usual docs...proof of residence etc  . In Chonburi it takes about an hour from handing in the docs...go for some noodles. Renewing was about 50 baht.

Insurance can be bought on the Loa customs exit and costs about 500 baht for up to 30 days..

You might find your Thsi company will extend your cover to Laos for a week or two.

Life is so much easier if you drive in....fora start you don't have to worry about getting to and from the Consulate.

If you take a couple of days the surrounding countryside is beautiful.

You pay a little man something when you get off the bridge at the Laos end.

The only drawback is the Laos authorities only let you stay 30 days at a time.

• Haha 1

I think for me, driving on the right, at my time of life, is not worth the risk for a single night stay. Just imagine the hassle if you have a prang........????

I personally would not pay one of those blokes 2/3000bht to be a taxi, the trip is so easy using the bus....

Edited by transam
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, transam said:

I think for me, driving on the right, at my time of life, is not worth the risk for a single night stay. Just imagine the hassle if you have a prang........????

I personally would not pay one of those blokes 2/3000bht to be a taxi, the trip is so easy using the bus....

You've got a point there but having flipped between driving in the US and Europe and the 'leftie' countries, the only places I found I had to pay attention was junctions in the cities with tram lines and bicycle lanes or at roundabouts. My observation in sleepy old Savannakhet is the locals know how to use roundaouts better than their Thai brethren and there are less flying idiots on 2-wheels.

FWIW, I just spent a few days in Busan, S Korea and the colored 'traffic guide' road markings in between the conventional white markings would take a bit of getting used to.

15 hours ago, transam said:

at least you recognise your limitations.

I've driven both sides of the road and both sides of the vehicle for most of my life.

But why only one day???

The great thing about having the car is being able to get about a bit and see another country..

i've covered most of Laos in a vehicle.... it's certainly no worse than driving in Thailand, the traffic in general is much lighter.

On 4/3/2023 at 5:57 PM, DrJack54 said:

You miss my point.

Maintaining 400k in Thai bank for 2 months + under consideration period and then being able to live off it for 9 months is a sweet deal. 

I specifically referenced those that couldn't obtain a ME non O marriage during covid and couldn't "transfer 400k" until borders open.

Heaven forbid they require medical treatment.

In the last 12 months I had a hip replacement which (kid you not) was 400k. 

Can't put 400k in a bank for 3 months!!......cry me a river..

When I first came to live in Thailand 25 years ago, my best mate worked in the Oz Embassy, and had spent a large part of his working life in SE Asia. One of his words of advice was that people make the mistake of treating the Thai baht as Monopoly money, and undervaluing it, and don't realise just how much they are spending. 400,000 baht is almost 1 year's pension. ie. Almost 1 year's living, so these rip-off deposits are not insignificant if you think about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crouchpeter said:

Almost 1 year's living, so these rip-off deposits are not insignificant if you think about it.

For extensions marriage the funds maintained in bank only for 2 mo this plus under consideration period.

Then can be used ....

400k is ...."Almost one years living" 

Surely that a typo..

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For extensions marriage the funds maintained in bank only for 2 mo this plus under consideration period.

Then can be used ....

400k is ...."Almost one years living" 

Surely that a typo..

Maybe they pass away on the seventh month?

For married with family, 400k would be a "typo" but a single person, cured of the 2-week millionaire syndrome and living within their means, it's probably doable.

Just.

9 hours ago, kwilco said:

at least you recognise your limitations.

I've driven both sides of the road and both sides of the vehicle for most of my life.

But why only one day???

The great thing about having the car is being able to get about a bit and see another country..

i've covered most of Laos in a vehicle.... it's certainly no worse than driving in Thailand, the traffic in general is much lighter.

I have driven in many countries too, one of my cars in the UK was left-hand drive, but my point for "me" is I know my limitations at my age, and for me is not worth the risk.

As for me travelling around Laos, think I will give that a miss.....????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1