Visa exempt to Non Imm O based on retirement.

A friend is about to apply to convert Visa exempt to Non Imm O.

He has been basically living in a hotel, and will move to yet another hotel this week.  

Looking at the requirements, most seem pretty straightforward, but this last one ( see below the bold part, copied from requirements):  A rental receipt past three months is throwing me. Why would one need to be renting for three months prior to Non Imm O application?

I'm sure he will be able to get a covering letter from the hotel that he will be staying for three months, but will that be enough?

RentalAgreement between the Applicant and theLandlord; A copy of house registration. Location map of the house and a rental receipt Past three months.

Either one 4x6 cm photograph or one 2 inch size photograph Application fee of Baht 2,000

TIA

Most immigration offices should accept a TM30 along with explaining currently looking for condo to lease..

You stated this........

"I'm sure he will be able to get a covering letter from the hotel that he will be staying for three months, but will that be enough?" 

That is a bonus and should be sufficient along with a TM30 screenshot from the hotel. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

At some immigration offices, they might stupidly refuse the application if you do not have a long term rental contract. However, most will accept a verbal explanation that you are staying in a hotel while looking for a permanent place to stay. Worst case, most hotels will be happy to furnish you with a rental agreement for an extended stay (with a verbal agreement that you will be able to break the agreement without penalty). Only ask the hotel to help in this way if the immigration office proves difficult.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

This dubious practice of issuing a new visa without exiting the country should be stopped as soon as possible. Enough is enough.

Visa is visa. You may obtain a visa only outside Thailand, not inside. This is illegal.

You are not well informed.

• Thai Immigration offices explicitly allow application for a Non Imm O Visa when you entered Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa
  • For citizens of some countries, it would be advantageous to apply for a Non Imm O Visa once they entered Thailand VE or on a TR, rather than applying for such Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in their home-country.  E.g. in Australia, applying for the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement requires Thai Health-Insurance coverage.  While such insurance is NOT required when applying for that Visa in Thailand.   https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-retirement
  • Like 2

PHUKET:
i converted my visa exempt entry to a Non O an than got my 1 year extension
just had a screen shot of the tm 30 report from the hotel i stayed at.
No question of 3 months 
that was back in Dec

• Like 2