Pattaya / Jomtien immigration office is terrible

GameMaster

On 4/3/2023 at 4:57 AM, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

This is simply a function of it being far too small a space in which to be conducting that number of processings every day.

It’s also from being around people all day. There’s something about being around people that works on you, especially if they are seated there looking at you or there is a line.

I used to work in a cafeteria where there was always a line waiting. Even just a couple hours was draining. It saps your energy and the frustration people feel about waiting gets projected towards you even if they don’t say anything.

• Like 1

Well to be fair they need to make sure to give priority to all the agents there who almost surely provide some nice fat envelopes for "special" treatment.  Review the bank accounts of some of the top immigration officers and see how rewarding a job can be...the more chaos, the more business for agents who can avoid the chaos for a fee.

16 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Jacko that is interesting.

I value your comments.

Where do these Russians go?

(Do not give up secrets.)

Jomtien IO is flooded with Russians.

Cheers

Not sure, I have been avoiding immigration for a few years myself and have joined the ranks of the agent users. I suspect they pursue ED and other extensions, or take a side trip to a nearby country (or do a border bounce)... I have yet to hear of a limit to the number of arrivals by air but someone mentioned 3 in 6 months... now we are back to 30 days permissions they will be up against a wall. 

On 4/3/2023 at 5:47 PM, GameMaster said:

I don't know what going on in Pattaya right now but officers there are losing it.

This is why many of us are using agents nowadays, when we never had to use them pre-Covid. The place is a bad joke, but the more people use agents the more kickbacks the Immigration staff get, so you might say that it's not actually in their interest to improve the service level.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Guderian said:

This is why many of us are using agents nowadays, when we never had to use them pre-Covid. The place is a bad joke, but the more people use agents the more kickbacks the Immigration staff get, so you might say that it's not actually in their interest to improve the service level.

I've never had any problems with the service level for more than 2 decades. Nor did @champersthe other day.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you go on very busy days circ 2+ hours queuing you might see a different side to Immigration staff

Pro tip: don't go on busy days. Or carry a brollie (none seem to have sense to do that), bush hat, water, and a portable seat. Here's one at Lazada modeled by an expat prone to chills:

【Delivery from Bangkok  Stick Chair Aluminum Walkers For Elderly Folding Elderly Walker Cane With Seat Walking Stick Old People

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 2

On 4/3/2023 at 8:50 PM, moogradod said:

I have been interacting with Jomtien Immigration for years and all I can say is that I have been always treated with the most respect and politeness. Be it TM30, 90-day report or Residence Certificate or Extension - everything went all the time quick and smooth. I never had any reason to complain.

I congratulate this office for its kind and swift treatment.

What he said

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/3/2023 at 8:41 PM, biervoormij said:

They need to open another office. If Phuket can have 3 offices why can't Chonburi.

Chonburi has three.

Sri Racha.

Jomtien.

EEC office, Chonburi (only for BOI employees like me)

Edited by PoorSucker
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you go on very busy days circ 2+ hours queuing you might see a different side to Immigration staff

Certainly might if that waiting included any standing... even seated, the current 37 degC  is a danger to health. 

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Certainly might if that waiting included any standing... even seated, the current 37 degC  is a danger to health. 

Recently when i went for a residents certificate it was 2+ hours snaking around in the heat no chairs, how can the elderly with underlying health conditions handle that, basically torture. A few weeks ago some chairs were put out, finally

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Recently when i went for a residents certificate it was 2+ hours snaking around in the heat no chairs, how can the elderly with underlying health conditions handle that, basically torture. A few weeks ago some chairs were put out, finally

I suspect we need to have someone drop down dead in the queue before this is addressed. I do recall some years ago there was tented shade, and seating provided along with large fans with water vapour sprays, which cooled quite well. People will not want to lose their place in the Q to go buy water... no enterprising locals selling cold refreshments yet?

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect we need to have someone drop down dead in the queue before this is addressed. I do recall some years ago there was tented shade, and seating provided along with large fans with water vapour sprays, which cooled quite well. People will not want to lose their place in the Q to go buy water... no enterprising locals selling cold refreshments yet?

I was down there on Monday, there is plenty of shade, seating, fans,  even free cold water etc. For things like 90 day, res cert, there is no queue, you hand over your passport outside and return 2 hours later. a minimal queue to get inside to do other things.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I was down there on Monday, there is plenty of shade, seating, fans,  even free cold water etc. For things like 90 day, res cert, there is no queue, you hand over your passport outside and return 2 hours later. a minimal queue to get inside to do other things.

There was limited seating space there once when I went and a  Q went down soi 5 towards the beach in direct sunlight. I have heard less agreeable reports.. I do 90 day reports on line, easy.... I will need a res. cert after Songkran and am glad to hear it has been streamlined.... probably use an agent anyhow. Not sure what to do with myself for 2 hours in Jomtien....2 hours wait for something that formerly took 5-10 minutes certainly isn't an improvement!

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

Deeply down you do hate them.

Projection on your part. Brit? Not everyone here is a bigot. Amazingly.

Stood in a queue with them a few evenings ago at a local Tops and all were perfectly well-behaved, including some cute kids. Meanwhile, there's this:

British tourist smashes up Bangkok 7-Eleven (video)

I'm looking forward to some good visuals during my walk on the beach a few hours from now. Russian hotties in thongs, VERY nice.

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

There was limited seating space there once when I went and a  Q went down soi 5 towards the beach in direct sunlight. I have heard less agreeable reports.. I do 90 day reports on line, easy.... I will need a res. cert after Songkran and am glad to hear it has been streamlined.... probably use an agent anyhow. Not sure what to do with myself for 2 hours in Jomtien....2 hours wait for something that formerly took 5-10 minutes certainly isn't an improvement!

Quite simply, those paying for an agent will ever try to justify their need to do so.

Edited by BigStar

32 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

But the ones on here that constantly complain about immigration issues are not the ones using agents. ????

As is consistent with my point. Otherwise, chronic complainers about everything have always infested this forum. A few years ago, the brilliant JSixpack collected maybe a hundred of the usual whinges here:  The Hit and Run Pattaya "whinge" Thread.

old-lady.jpg.9d5011ea86a0a89ebaa0390987316d9d.jpg

ANOTHER pothole targeted at farangs? Thais! How much more???

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The 2 hour wait for your 90 days is more like one hour. Bring a book, kindle or newspaper or play with your phone like most everyone else.

Or .... stop a couple of ice-cold ones from going sour at Jimmy's bar. Nice staff, I may add. Free peanuts too.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, champers said:

The 2 hour wait for your 90 days is more like one hour. Bring a book, kindle or newspaper or play with your phone like most everyone else.

Or .... stop a couple of ice-cold ones from going sour at Jimmy's bar. Nice staff, I may add. Free peanuts too.

As I said, it's a bit hot and uncomfortable for me this time of year, and as I drive back going for a few beers is not an option. I also said the 90 days is actually not my problem as I do it online... I am surprised people go through the hassle of doing it  in person actually. I guess a massage is a plan but I simply don't want to be walking about in the 37 degC sun and heat. Waiting inside used to be tolerable for an hour.....

On 4/4/2023 at 3:40 AM, Henryford said:

They just hate Russians, like we all do

if they hate them why pratumnak is full of russian language signs....thai people love them...because they eat from cheap sausage stands where locals can make some money

10 hours ago, lilisharp said:

if they hate them why pratumnak is full of russian language signs....thai people love them...because they eat from cheap sausage stands where locals can make some money

But the signs aren't just on sausage stands. Much, much more. Shopping in the malls, stores, pharmacies, staying in better hotels, owning condos and so paying fees, eating in a variety of restaurants, spending at the beaches for massages, fruits, snacks, spending in the markets and tourist shops. Thai business owners, vendors, companies, developers all making money, much more than from the usual baked-beans-on-toast Pattaya monger.

Edited by BigStar