Possibility to use Tourist eVisa?

I'm curious about the following situation:

I'm in my home country now, and I'm applying for a Tourist eVisa, but I'm not sure if I'll get my eVisa in time before entering Thailand.

So then I'll enter Thailand with a Visa Exempt.

My question is: could I, after entering Thailand, go to the border of (let's say) Mae Sai/Tachilek which is open again if I'm correct, and then re-enter Thailand with that Tourist eVisa that I've gotten too late?

Edited by trax33

Just now, thaitom said:

No, cannot use Evisa to enter by sea or land.

But if I fly to Phnom Penh or another neighbouring country,  and return to Thailand after my Visa Exempt has almost expired, could I then still use that Tourist eVisa?

Edited by trax33
  • Confused 1

It's worth a try. What could happen? They might refuse it. But I hvae a feeling it would be fine. Worst case you'd enter on another 30 day visa exempt. ....If they are allowing back to back visa exempt entries.

I may have been in the same situation but my eVisa was approved today in time for my flight later this month. I would have tried exactly what you are proposing. Enter on visa exempt. Stay 30 days, exit then re-inter on the 60 day STV.

IMHO They are back logged right now. No more 45 day visa exempt. The first time I applied for an eVisa it literally took only one day. This was back in Jan. I couldn't use it though since my plans changed.

This time I applied on March 23 and it's now been approved today. 8 Business days.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, trax33 said:

...My question is: could I, after entering Thailand, go to the border of (let's say) Mae Sai/Tachilek which is open again if I'm correct, and then re-enter Thailand with that Tourist eVisa that I've gotten too late?

I am nor aware of any immigration rule, published or otherwise, on this subject.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Not true. I don't know about sea but you can enter by land with a 60 day single entry tourist (TR) e-visa.

He was asking about using an E visa, which cannot be used at a land crossing or by sea

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, trax33 said:

Is there someone else who can confirm this?

You have couple of posts above that suggest it's not problem.

I vaguely recall that you cannot enter via land or sea with eVisa.

I did a search but not definitive.

This topic has come up few times.

Just my take on it:

Think the intention was to apply for eVisa to Thailand from your own country.

When you Google ..I read some examples .... Just one from the Netherlands consulate where it states that you are expected to be in that country during the application process.

Thinking it's a loophole some are attempting to use. 

One report of UK guy obtaining eVisa for Thailand while he was in Turkey. Entered Thailand with connecting flight at Singapore.

No problem..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just my take on it:

When you Google ..I read some examples .... Just one from the Netherlands consulate where it states that you are expected to be in that country during the application process.

One report of UK guy obtaining eVisa for Thailand while he was in Turkey. Entered Thailand with connecting flight at Singapore.

No problem..

I think two different things are getting confused here by some posters before.

Firstly, eVisas are only available in some countries at this point, and strictly speaking, applicants need to be present in the country where they apply at the time of application, so that the Thai embassy or consulate that issues the visa actually has consular jurisdiction.

Applying online in say one's home country while visiting one of Thailand's neighboring countries is at the very least questionable, and the chance of detection is probably higher when entering with a fresh eVisa overland.

Secondly, the question of entry with an eVisa at a land border as such. They CAN be used overland, and a good example for people actually doing that without any issues are border bounces by people who have multi-entry eVisas that had been applied for and issued when they were still at home. 

Edited by Caldera

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just my take on it:

No problem..

I just sent an Email to the Thai Evisa site contact ,  I will post their reply when received.  

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, thaitom said:

I just sent an Email to the Thai Evisa site contact ,  I will post their reply when received.  

Here is my reply .....

You will need to present your evisa document on arrival.

Thank you,

Regards,

Support-E-Visa

Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2023 8:31 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: evisa question

Can an Evisa be used at a land border crossing ?

Well, that seems simple enough.  You can just buy an evisa and do a land border bounce?  Or should have I been more specific in my question ?  Such as using a fresh Evisa ? 

• Like 1

Just now, thaitom said:

Here is my reply .....

You will need to present your evisa document on arrival.

Thank you,

Regards,

Support-E-Visa

Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2023 8:31 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: evisa question

Can an Evisa be used at a land border crossing ?

Well, that seems simple enough.  You can just buy an evisa and do a land border bounce?  Or should have I been more specific in my question ?  Such as using a fresh Evisa ? 

Good question...

Especially you could ask if a land border bounce is allowed.

Edited by trax33

20 minutes ago, trax33 said:

Good question...

Especially you could ask if a land border bounce is allowed.

Well..... I just sent two more emails, first was specific in how i planned to use this fresh evisa, and they avoided a reply and just told me to apply, second email same response just said to apply.    So.....

• Like 1

Just now, thaitom said:

Well..... I just sent two more emails, first was specific in how i planned to use this fresh evisa, and they avoided a reply and just told me to apply, second email same response just said to apply.    So.....

Thanks anyways. They did a good job at avoiding your specific question, sounds familiar.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 11:27 AM, Caldera said:

I think two different things are getting confused here by some posters before.

Firstly, eVisas are only available in some countries at this point, and strictly speaking, applicants need to be present in the country where they apply at the time of application, so that the Thai embassy or consulate that issues the visa actually has consular jurisdiction.

Applying online in say one's home country while visiting one of Thailand's neighboring countries is at the very least questionable, and the chance of detection is probably higher when entering with a fresh eVisa overland.

Secondly, the question of entry with an eVisa at a land border as such. They CAN be used overland, and a good example for people actually doing that without any issues are border bounces by people who have multi-entry eVisas that had been applied for and issued when they were still at home. 

The poster applied for the e-visa while in his own country, he states that in his post. Nobody is suggesting applying for an e-visa while in a neighbouring country.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2023 at 8:39 PM, thaitom said:

He was asking about using an E visa, which cannot be used at a land crossing or by sea

I find that extremely strange. It implies, for instance, that Chinese nationals taking cruises that stop in Thailand cannot have a tourist visa to enter Thailand during a stopover here. Further, the TAT promoted train journey from China via Vientiane to Thailand would not be possible. Are you, perhaps, confusing the tourist e-visa with the (totally different) visa on arrival  which (to save time) can be applied for in advance online? That is available only for those not eligible for visa exempt entry but eligible for visa on arrival, and can, indeed, only be used at the airport on arrival.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 3:44 AM, trax33 said:

...I'm in my home country now, and I'm applying for a Tourist eVisa, but I'm not sure if I'll get my eVisa in time before entering Thailand...

1. Did you complete and and submit your eVisa application on Tuesday?

2. Have you in the meantime received your eVisa?

3. What is your planned travel date?

58 minutes ago, Maestro said:

1. Did you complete and and submit your eVisa application on Tuesday?

2. Have you in the meantime received your eVisa?

3. What is your planned travel date?

Yes, I've submitted my application on Tuesday but haven't received my eVisa yet. 

Planning to arrive shortly after Songkran.

Yesterday i read on the thaivisa, that an Evisa is indeed able to cross land borders for a border bounce, so all good ....   Until I read otherwise, just trying to understand the EVisa website now, when I put the details that I'm in Thailand it says I'm not eligible, when i put that i am in the USA I am. I am also confused as to why it says entry is at international airports. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thaitom said:

...I am also confused as to why it says entry is at international airports.

On my screen, I am asked to select the type of "port of arrival"

image.png

• Like 1

presumably you could get your evisa at home, then say fly to Laos from your home country and cross with the evisa overland?

but then the supporting documents include a question wanting your flight confirmation, seems like including one to Laos, might not produce an evisa.

---------

btw, is there a general guesstimate, on how many days for a USA consulate to issue a visa, presuming no request for further documents?

I saw one person on here got theirs in 11 business days, I submitted April 3, and have a non refundable ticket to fly April 30 , I guess by week 3 I'll start getting nervous and have to consider just flying without a visa, for a 30 day stamp, only ? 

Rather than extending the departure day with some expensive change fees, ($400?+)

Then if the evisa is issued, and there is no consensus , that I can use it, do a 30 day extension , and attempt to change the air ticket return day, and my housing for 60 instead of my planned 85 day long stay ????

Another thing to consider is that whereas the online application asked for that travel information, these data do not appear on the eVisa which the embassy will send you by email and to the best of my knowledge the immigration officials at the point of entry have no online access to that information.