Authorities find 6.9M cash hidden in Fortuner during search of Ratchathewi District Chief's house in corruption case

webfact

7 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Tip of the iceberg. He and many others are truly effed now. Should be a lot of worried officials. Seems like there is momentum on corruption at last.

1) Yes, it is an absolutely tiny tip of the iceberg.

2) Let's see if he is effed, my recollection is that on many occasions similar offences go relatively unpunished. Many others ? Let's see.

3) Momentum ? One swallow does not make a summer. Refer point 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Not sure why the money wasn't buried in a waterproof container in a field somewhere. Its as if he wanted to be caught.

Or more likely... he never EXPECTED to be caught... given that government officials actually getting caught for corruption here historically has been a RARE thing... and usually politically motivated when it has occurred.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Holy cow, I know we are in Thailand, but if this is true and all of the Joe Ferrari assets which were sold have gone elsewhere instead of into a government fund to assist in paying those wronged, what a massively corrupt country this has become.  I mean we know it is corrupt, but this would be next level.

No different from a hundred other countries. Thailand is simply a lot sillier in its methods

got to love the irony of it all.

Putting aside the timing,  just so happens around the elections time, but they caught one, out of hundreds if not thousands of corrupt officials.

Even clerk issuing alcohol or food license needs a "tip" to speed it up

They are making it out as if they are fighting a war and winning, and yet it is only 1 person

You have to love this place, lol.

Imagine if a real administration was to be installed, pure kaos, no more visa extension for those willing to pay a proportion of the asking conditions. A total rethink for the disilusional self-entitled elite. Be careful what you wish for.

I can live with the "wild west" attitude. I don't care really as do most Thais I have met.

If you where good enough you wouldn't live here.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PPGuy said:

Reminds me of the Transport Ministry guy of a few years back. His house was robbed whilst his family were attending a wedding. The robbers couldn't fit all the cash into their loot bags and, when later caught with the dosh, seemingly many 100's of millions, indicated they left a similar amount, if not more, behind in the house.

Can't recall the outcome but I'm sure the Ministry guy had a plausible excuse that 'satisfied' the investigators.......

I think he said it was wedding donations for his daughter that he was looking after for her.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Holy cow, I know we are in Thailand, but if this is true and all of the Joe Ferrari assets which were sold have gone elsewhere instead of into a government fund to assist in paying those wronged, what a massively corrupt country this has become.  I mean we know it is corrupt, but this would be next level.

I for one am not surprised at all. Corruption is a way of life in Thailand, just a very profitable business model, and over the last couple of decades it’s become worse and worse, and also more shameless. Just another sign of the weird times we live in.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

I for one am not surprised at all. Corruption is a way of life in Thailand, just a very profitable business model, and over the last couple of decades it’s become worse and worse, and also more shameless. Just another sign of the weird times we live in.

did Prayut had anything to do with the increase... hummm

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, PPGuy said:

Reminds me of the Transport Ministry guy of a few years back. His house was robbed whilst his family were attending a wedding. The robbers couldn't fit all the cash into their loot bags and, when later caught with the dosh, seemingly many 100's of millions, indicated they left a similar amount, if not more, behind in the house.

Can't recall the outcome but I'm sure the Ministry guy had a plausible excuse that 'satisfied' the investigators.......

That was back in 2011, or 2012. There were about 10 thieves, they took 100 million baht because that was all they could carry, and when they were caught they told the police there had been at least 1 billion baht in that house. Needless to say that when the police came to take a look and searched the house, that money was long gone.

One of the theories was that some of the “colleagues” of the deputy transport minister hadn’t received their cut and they had hired the 10 thieves to go and steal what they thought belonged to them. I know I’d be a little miffed too if I didn’t get my slice of a more than 1 billion baht loot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think he said it was wedding donations for his daughter that he was looking after for her.

I remember that,  he was accused of being "ruay pit pokkatee"   best  translation being " unusually rich"  

The ones that get caught are either low hanging fruit or out of favour with the guys at the top table, In the normal course of events, it seems that once somebody  has risen to a certain level they become untouchable, at least while they hold their position. so the brighter  ones will be salting it away overseas, 

Personally I couldn't care less , it is what it is, I have benefitted on several occasions when its been possible to pay myself out of difficult or frustrating situations. Unless somebody can convince me that ending all corruption would benefit me personally , which is highly unlikely, I am quite happy for things to continue as they are. Which they undoubtedly will

To be honest if I was in their position I would do exactly the same , as would anybody else given the chance,   stupid not to really

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

On your first paragraph above, that is exactly the attitude that Thais take (and maybe you are Thai?), which is why it continues and they are part of the problem.

On your second, some have higher morals than you and would not do exactly the same. People like you are part of the problem too.

It would correct to say that many on here have , or at least profess to have, higher morals than me, I don't claim to be a beacon of virtue.  but to suggest that anything that I or other foreigners do has any bearing on the corruption here is basically nonsense.

For example, anybody caught speeding ,who, out of a sense of moral responsibility, insisted on going to the police station and paying 400 baht and asking for a receipt, is only going to end up 300 baht poorer than the likes of me and many others, who would happily slip mr plod a 100 baht gratuity.  and the negative effects on corruption would be ? let me see now ..... none whatsoever

why make life difficult, when in Rome and all that, but at the end of the day its up to you.

Nothing to be gained by any foreigner or Thai for that matter taking the moral high ground and in many cases plenty to be lost,  

59 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

To be honest if I was in their position I would do exactly the same , as would anybody else given the chance,   stupid not to really

Please speak for yourself. I try to make it a habit to make an honest living, but apparently you don’t care if you have to screw people over to do so. You also assume that anybody else would do the same. Well, you’re wrong. 

I was speaking for myself 

I said IF i was in their position, unfortunately I am not !   I am not a high ranking Thai politician and neither are you.

so its hard to  understand why you are getting yourself so worked up over a purely hypothetical situation

I have actually made an honest living all my life, although  unlike you I did not have to "try to make it a habit"

Good luck with your crusade, I'm sure you will get your reward in "heaven"

8 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I was speaking for myself 

I said IF i was in their position, unfortunately I am not !   I am not a high ranking Thai politician and neither are you.

so its hard to  understand why you are getting yourself so worked up over a purely hypothetical situation

I have actually made an honest living all my life, although  unlike you I did not have to "try to make it a habit"

Good luck with your crusade, I'm sure you will get your reward in "heaven"

Let me remind you of what you said:

To be honest if I was in their position I would do exactly the same , as would anybody else given the chance,   stupid not to really.

Not so hypothetical, in my opinion. You also said that everyone else would do the same, given the chance. You even said that anybody would be stupid not to, really.

Also not very hypothetical. Try again.

As for why I’m getting so worked up about this (to use your words): I hate dishonesty, I hate corruption, and most of all I hate people taking advantage of their position to extort people. Because that’s basically what corruption usually is: extortion. Something you don’t seem to have a problem with.

Does that answer your question?

3 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Let me remind you of what you said:

To be honest if I was in their position I would do exactly the same , as would anybody else given the chance,   stupid not to really.

Not so hypothetical, in my opinion. You also said that everyone else would do the same, given the chance. You even said that anybody would be stupid not to, really.

Also not very hypothetical. Try again.

As for why I’m getting so worked up about this (to use your words): I hate dishonesty, I hate corruption, and most of all I hate people taking advantage of their position to extort people. Because that’s basically what corruption usually is: extortion. Something you don’t seem to have a problem with.

Does that answer your question?

You don't  understand what hypothetical means do you?

So i'll help you out,  A hypothetical scenario is a scenario  based on possible or imaginary ideas as opposed to one based on actual fact,  That is a dictionary definition.  Your personal opinion is of no consequence. 

"If I was in their position ...."         Please note the presence of the word If,     It really  cannot get more hypothetical than that.   Although, if that was not obvious  enough for you, the phrase "given the chance" is also a pretty strong clue, and clearly indicative, that i was  referring to a fictional situation that might possibly occur in the future and  not  an actual existing factual situation   The very essence of hypothetical. 

So I guess it kind of does answer my question, you got your knickers in a twist because you did not understand that I was referring to a hypothetical situation,  I hope you understand now

You are correct,   I don't have a problem with dishonesty or corruption or extortion or anything else for that matter unless it noticeably affects me directly.  Why would I ?   That is my prerogative and none of your business 

Considering your aversion to the above , you have chosen a pretty strange place to live, but there again it does give people like you plenty of opportunity to indulge in a bit of sanctimonious virtue signalling.  

Was told by a few Yank associates that their taxation department, IRS, shares a bit of the cash with the informant when the IRS is informed of a major tax fraud.

Maybe Thai's anti-corruption team could try this scheme.  

Imagine a poor groundskeeper or housemaid comes across a pile of baht notes at a residence.  One day they ride an old rickety bicycle, the next day a MB.

The rats would be eating their own.

On 4/6/2023 at 8:00 AM, ThailandRyan said:

A new hiding place, since hiding it under the mattress is the old way and leads to it being appropriated by others, the Fortuner at least can be secured. Mobile safe on wheels.

I bet the woman living in the house is pissed. She could have trousered that when he was arrested.????

On 4/6/2023 at 9:49 AM, webfact said:

The Anti-Corruption Directorate Office and the police authorities must continue to work together to ensure that justice is served, and those responsible for corrupt activities are held accountable for their actions.

Amen to that and best of luck with it.

Quite amazing the $ these mid level public servants are able to rort.

highlights the lack of scrutiny in their structures

tho with waves of new software and cash society dwindling it’s going to get significantly harder in the near future to pull this stuff off