Joe Biden administration blames chaotic Afghan pull-out on Trump

Social Media

To be fair, the Biden administration could have done better. In one regard particularly. They were very slow in helping Afghanis who had aided American forces out of Afghanistan. A lot got left behind. But for the overwhelming majority if Afghanis withdrawal would have been a disaster no matter what party was in power in the US.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, candide said:

If I remember well, the agreement stipulated a withdrawal in May. Maybe September was the latest extension the Talibans would have accepted?

At the time the Taliban was not in power.  The Afghan Government was still in power until President Ashraf Ghani did a runner to Dubai.  Then all hell broke loose.  No one have ever stated a date for the the complete withdrawal of all US Military Personnel.  Also, the plan was still to 1) Keep the US Embassy open, 2) Maintain small military force for training, advisory and force protection of the US Embassy and diplomats.  But none of this happened.  Also, “withdrawal” of all US Personnel and the closure of the Embassy?

”the devil is in the details”?  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I would disagree.  I have spent time in the following parts of A-Stan: 1) Kabul 2) Bagram,3) Kandahar 4) Gardez 5) Herat 6) Jalabad.   Bagram Air Base which at one time had the busiest runway in the world had started retrograde (tearing things down) at least 2 years before Joe Biden came into office.  The process of retrograding or withdrawal  was in process.  It was like most things in the military,  slow and at times bureaucratic.  For some unknown reason those in the Biden Administration(DOD, DOS and the White House) decided a rapid “Get the hell out” had to be executed before Sep 11, 2021`.  Was the 20 year anniversary of 9-11 a factor in the rapid withdrawal?  I do not not know the answer to this question because no one with integrity or courage has stated so in public. So why was there such an urgent need to be out and turn out the lights?  This question will never be answered because it would take a persons with integrity and courage to answer it.  I do not see anyone that fits that description at the Pentagon or the White House. 

If Gen Miley had advised Biden that this withdraw idea was a good plan and needed to be executed by September 2021 then I can’t put the entire blame on him.  If Biden actually took the advice of his military leaders then shame on General Miley and his staff of useless officers who only care about their next promotion and careers.  

The Trump administration signed an agreement that stipulated the US withdraw by May 31, 2021. The Biden administration got it extended by 3 months to aug 31, 2021

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Biden knew the American population wanted out. Trump had set the course, the military failed to predict the ensuing disaster and now the right are trying to pin it on him. The biggest factor was likely that Trump had already released 5000 Taliban terrorists. Not much point in continuing or reversing course at that point.

The Pentagon have laid most of the blame on Trump and I think that's probably on the money.

Who at the Pentagon has publicly blamed the Tramp Administration?

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The Trump administration signed an agreement that stipulated the US withdraw by May 31, 2021. The Biden administration got it extended by 3 months to aug 31, 2021

This agreement was signed by which parties?   The US and the Taliban? The US, Taliban, and the Afghan Government which was still in power?  I do not ever recall hearing about such a deadline.  Also, did this mean the US would not even have an embassy in Kabul?  In essence the plan all along was to cutoff all diplomatic relations with Afghanistan? 

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Who at the Pentagon has publicly blamed the Tramp Administration?

The administration said detailed reviews conducted by the State Department and the Pentagon, which the White House said would be transmitted privately to Congress on Thursday, were highly classified and would not be released publicly.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-afghanistan-withdrawal-congress-war-5ff87c14ffd4f7daaa6675e52d3bba1c

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

The administration said detailed reviews conducted by the State Department and the Pentagon, which the White House said would be transmitted privately to Congress on Thursday, were highly classified and would not be released publicly.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-afghanistan-withdrawal-congress-war-5ff87c14ffd4f7daaa6675e52d3bba1c

Again you stated the Pentagon blames the Trump Administration?  The entire report has not been released and probably never will due to security reasons.  However I believe reporters were given today  a summary and this is why news reports have been circulating today.  

5 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

This agreement was signed by which parties?   The US and the Taliban? The US, Taliban, and the Afghan Government which was still in power?  I do not ever recall hearing about such a deadline.  Also, did this mean the US would not even have an embassy in Kabul?  In essence the plan all along was to cutoff all diplomatic relations with Afghanistan? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US–Taliban_deal

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Again you stated the Pentagon blames the Trump Administration?  The entire report has not been released and probably never will due to security reasons.  However I believe reporters were given today  a summary and this is why news reports have been circulating today.  

You need a pencil to join the dots? The WH released a report blaming Trump that cites the Pentagon's report. It clearly implies support from the Pentagon for their position.

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Biden knew the American population wanted out. Trump had set the course, the military failed to predict the ensuing disaster and now the right are trying to pin it on him. The biggest factor was likely that Trump had already released 5000 Taliban terrorists. Not much point in continuing or reversing course at that point.

The Pentagon have laid most of the blame on Trump and I think that's probably on the money.

I think that bet would lose money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Nobody expected the Afghan government to implodes so suddenly, not even the Taliban.  Under those circumstances the withdrawal was doomed to chaos regardless of who was in the White House.

The Biden Administration had from Feb to Aug of 2021 to plan this withdrawal if the August 31 was a hard deadline for the complete withdrawal of all US Government presence in Afghanistan.  So what was done for 6 months by Anthony Blinken, Lloyd Austin and Mark Miley?

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, candide said:

The agreement was negotiated and signed between the U.S. and the Taliban only, without the official government even allowed to participate You don't know that?

That's why it was nonsensical! It was de facto handing power to the Taliban. No wonder the official authorities were not too motivated and quickly collapsed.

Typical of Trump's show business m.o., you know, like designing a peace plan in Palestine without the Palestinians.

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

You need a pencil to join the dots? The WH released a report blaming Trump that cites the Pentagon's report. It clearly implies support from the Pentagon for their position.

So the agreement required the withdrawal of all US Government personnel by August 31, 2021?  The closure of the US Embassy, all diplomats, aid workers and all military personnel and equipment must leave.  So this agreement required the US to cu toff all diplomatic relations with Afghanistan.  Also, if the August 31, 2021 was such a hard deadline then what did the Biden Administration do from Feb to early August 2021 to plan for the complete withdrawal from Afghanistan?  It seems to me the withdrawal was chaotic, lacked coordination with allies and poorly planned.  I am not saying Donald Trump and his people would have done any better or worse. 

7 hours ago, candide said:

The agreement was negotiated and signed between the U.S. and the Taliban only, without the official government even allowed to participate You don't know that?

That's why it was nonsensical! It was de facto handing power to the Taliban. No wonder the official authorities were not too motivated and quickly collapsed.

Typical of Trump's show business m.o., you know, like designing a peace plan in Palestine without the Palestinians.

So the Trump Administration  agreed to completely pull out all US Governmental institutions and personnel from Afghanistan by August 31, 2021?  

Edited by sqwakvfr

Many here seem to forget, the the whole world was watching this cruel and stupid move by Biden. Maybe he can tell us about the many hundreds of American's left behind and who's got control of the 85 billion dollars worth of equipment left behind? Blame Trump? Guess again!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Many here seem to forget, the the whole world was watching this cruel and stupid move by Biden. Maybe he can tell us about the many hundreds of American's left behind and who's got control of the 85 billion dollars worth of equipment left behind? Blame Trump? Guess again!

No you can blame republican's for making false claims on that figure:

Republicans Inflate Cost of Taliban-Seized U.S. Military Equipment

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/09/republicans-inflate-cost-of-taliban-seized-u-s-military-equipment/

US left behind $7 billion of military equipment in Afghanistan after 2021 withdrawal, Pentagon report says

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/27/politics/afghan-weapons-left-behind/index.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ozimoron said:

No, biden failed. His military experts warned biden.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/afghanistan-after-action-reports-state-department-pentagon-white-house/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1