Renewing My Thai Drivers Licence.

I've held a Thai drivers licence for the past 20 years.  I always apply for a 5 years licence, so I've done several renewals. There's several strange things I don't understand. Firstly the  movie we're " supposed to watch " nobody watches. The strangest thing to me though is the perception test, especially when Thais are chronic tail gaters.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

what is the earliest one can renew mine expires in Dec 2023, but I will be in BKK next month thru July.

What paperwork do I need for the renewal?

I got it originally at the Bang Chak Land offices ,

On 4/7/2023 at 1:12 PM, NONG CHOK said:

I've held a Thai drivers licence for the past 20 years.  I always apply for a 5 years licence, so I've done several renewals. There's several strange things I don't understand. Firstly the  movie we're " supposed to watch " nobody watches. The strangest thing to me though is the perception test, especially when Thais are chronic tail gaters.

I would have to agree that no one watches the movie.  Good observation on that one.  Most I saw this past month when I renewed, after also having my licenses here for many years, were busy on their cellular phones.  Tailgating is a problem, and as you observed the perception reactions tests going on, like I did while waiting my turn in the room, it is amazing how slow there reaction time is.  This correlates directly to the number of rear enders we see daily around Bangkok, at least in my neck of the woods, well that and being on their cell phone watching it instead of the road. But again this is just my view and take on it.

1 hour ago, chubby said:

what is the earliest one can renew mine expires in Dec 2023, but I will be in BKK next month thru July.

I recall the rule was the initial, one-year 'provisonal' license needed to be renewed BEFORE it expired whereas the full, five year license should be renewed AFTER expiration date to get an extra few months validity based on your birth date.

Same paperwork for initial application, ID and a doctor's 'medical certificate'. The old license should have your address already on the obverse. I don't recall them asking for proof that it's still a valid address but assume that for a new address, the letter from immigration (or the yellow book/pink ID card) would suffice.

And I think you also need to book an appointment online via an app rather than walk-in?

13 hours ago, chubby said:

dont know the earliest but this was the documents i did:

- passport details copy

- need non imm visa

- old driving license

- residency from immigration or from your embassy (eng lang is ok)

- health certificate from any clinic (150-200 baht)

- watch the 1 hour video online and save the QR code

that was it

hmm, If I ever get my e-visa its to be a 60 TR , then I guess the USEMB things is $55 or so?

so maybe I won't be eligible to try to renew the 5 years DL?

fwiw I don't recall getting a 1 yr provisional, maybe for showing my US Car and Motorcycle licenses?