Please help advise on the internal design of house we propose to build in Thailand.

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

Also, What is that wasted space opposite the bathroom? You could move everything forward to the front.

I thought about putting a desk there at a window. Nice to look out to the rice field whilst surfing thaivisa.com 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sandyf said:

As someone else has suggested you really need to reconsider the width, 2 metres each side is not enough to work with.

On the basis main access will be from the public road then the car port and living area ought to be at that end. I would angle the corner of main road and small soi and put main gate there. 

As for the pillars you can have them where you want to a certain extent, depends on whether you use existing plans or have your own drawn up.

I made sketches like you, a friend tidied them up on autocad, found an architect to turn them into plans, then went looking for a builder, not that easy when you deviate from normal Thai conventions. Good luck.

day28_5.JPG

day78_3.JPG

Hi, In the first photo may I ask why do you seem to have the white besser block wall then a gap and then the wall of red brick wall?

thanks

34 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

The OP will look back at his initial post in time and realise it was the very beginning of his nightmare.

Do you mind if I ask you to elaborate on this comment. What happened in your case? Any advice you can give me?

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd put the master across the back and put the ensuite, bathroom, shower and toilet on one side which would allow larger bedrooms

Im sorry but I dont quite understand. Are you able to do a quick sketch and attach. Are you saying put it on the back end which would block access to the pool / verandah. Or are you saying all rooms on that one side?

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

If you moved bedroom 1 to the other side, behind the walk in wardrobe,  Wouldn't it make what I presume is the living room, more of a square space?

Sorry but I dont understand your comment. Are you able to do a quick sketch? I dont quite get the layout that you are suggesting

2 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Hi, In the first photo may I ask why do you seem to have the white besser block wall then a gap and then the wall of red brick wall?

thanks

It is cavity wall construction, how I wanted it built.

11 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

may i ask what is the point of that. thanks

Insulated walls and a more robust construction.

Common practice in cooler climates. Generally speaking in warmer climates they do not see the need and don't want the expense. 

Really beneficial in the warmer weather. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

I would try to avoid any valley roofs; they look very nice. But, they always leak, and if the drain is too small or blocked you are in a world of hurt.

Agree 100%. On the family house I lived in the roof was that rubbish thin cement corrugated stuff and I couldn't walk on it and the wife was too scared to walk on it so all the leaves and other c***p collected in them, and they had cunningly made them inaccessible from the side, so whenever it rained the water came into the kitchen.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Im sorry but I dont quite understand. Are you able to do a quick sketch and attach. Are you saying put it on the back end which would block access to the pool / verandah. Or are you saying all rooms on that one side?

Yes, right across the back of the house, but you could have a passage to outside at the side of the house. Why have a smaller bedroom just for access to outside at back when you have 2 meter access on side of the house? You could also put in a ranch slider for access direct from bedroom to pool, which would also give more natural light in the bedroom.

Passage doesn't have to be between master and bedroom- could be between ensuite bathroom and next bathroom

Sorry, don't have a scanner to be able to attach a decent sketch, so this effort using paint is the best I can do in a short time.

house.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Insulated walls and a more robust construction.

Common practice in cooler climates. Generally speaking in warmer climates they do not see the need and don't want the expense. 

Really beneficial in the warmer weather. 

Still needs insulation in the cavity. The ones I saw being built used polystyrene panels.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Still needs insulation in the cavity. The ones I saw being built used polystyrene panels.

There is no need for anything in the cavity, but it does help, although i didn't bother here in Thailand.

Fairly recently when they started putting insulation in the cavity in the UK, normally rockwool.

The house I had I got a grant to have foam injected into the cavity.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 2:46 PM, 4MyEgo said:

The most important part and I can't stress it enough is sisalation under the roof tiles, thermal reflective sisalation if you can get it, as it keeps the heat out longer then normal,

Hi, Do you think its necessary to put the thermal reflective sisalation under the roof tiles AND the 150mm insulation bats above the gypsum ceiling??? I think back home both is recommended but unsure here?

On 5/6/2023 at 12:05 AM, ubonr1971 said:

Hi, Do you think its necessary to put the thermal reflective sisalation under the roof tiles AND the 150mm insulation bats above the gypsum ceiling??? I think back home both is recommended but unsure here?

I would very strongly recommend it, especially with the heat entering the house through the roof/ceiling, that said, you also want to stop the cool air escaping via the gypsum ceiling, hence the cool air can't escape because the ceiling batts stop it going out via the ceiling.

We just got back from a 2 week domestic holiday, when we got home today at 3pm, it was 44 degrees, when I opened the house to enter it, it wasn't hot, that said I opened windows to allow fresh air in and the stale air out with some fans turned on (house locked up for 2 weeks), then it got hot, so off went the fans and I closed the windows, then put on a couple of air cons, front and back and two fans, front and back to move the cool air around, it's been 2 hours 20 minutes since I put on the air cons and the house is cool, will turn them off in 10 and then back on for half an hour before we go to bed.

I do remember when I didn't have ceiling batts up there, it got hot in the house by 10am, so been there, done that, but the reflective sisalation went in first when the roof tiles were going on, a year later the batts, no regrets what so ever.

ust depends on your budget and how much you like your comforts. 

• Thanks 1