Charlie Kirk Says Gun Deaths 'Unfortunately' Worth it to Keep 2nd Amendment

onthedarkside

On 4/7/2023 at 2:53 PM, ozimoron said:

well regulated militia" never meant "anybody". Do explain how automatic weapons bans don't violate the second amendment.

Have a look at SCOTUS rulings. DC v Heller for example. The militia means every one and 'arms' are not defined. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Have a look at SCOTUS rulings. DC v Heller for example. The militia means every one and 'arms' are not defined. 

My main aim was to have you explain how machine guns can be banned but the AR15 can't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

My main aim was to have you explain how machine guns can be banned but the AR15 can't.

I'm not sure any weapon, considered to be an 'arm', can be banned, under my interpretation...

Give everyone a weapon, the federal government should not infringe this right. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Scott Tracy said:

I'm not sure any weapon, considered to be an 'arm', can be banned, under my interpretation...

Give everyone a weapon, the federal government should not infringe this right. 

My point is that they have been banned for about a century now. That this is the case proves beyond any right wing "interpretation" of the second amendment that the AR 14 could be banned and that the amendment would still survive. Put simply, the second amendment isn't an unqualified green light for any guns or "arms" if you like.

Possession of a machine gun is generally legal in more than two-thirds of states, according to an analysis published by the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, as long as the gun was lawfully possessed prior to May 19, 1986, the day President Ronald Reagan signed a major gun law. Thirty-five states have “minimal or no regulation” of machine guns, according to the Giffords analysis.

Sorry guy, you're wrong....

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Possession of a machine gun is generally legal in more than two-thirds of states, according to an analysis published by the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, as long as the gun was lawfully possessed prior to May 19, 1986, the day President Ronald Reagan signed a major gun law. Thirty-five states have “minimal or no regulation” of machine guns, according to the Giffords analysis.

Sorry guy, you're wrong....

They are highly restricted in most states and possession after 1886 is more restricted. That's all the left are asking for. It also leaves a third of states, by your own admission, where they are completely banned. This still proves my point that any guns can be banned or restricted without burning the second amendment.

Edited by ozimoron

15 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I think fully-automatic (single trigger pull firing multiple rounds) firearms will eventually be legal in all states, given the SCOTUS make-up and the majority's interpretation of the 2A.

The first step is the removal of the bump-stock ban, overturned by the 5th Circuit 13:3, and which the Biden Administration/DoJ will appeal to SCOTUS. And SCOTUS will affirm the 5th Circuit's opinion.

Biden appeals ruling against ban on gun bump stocks

April 7 (Reuters) - President Joe Biden's administration on Friday asked the U.S. Supreme Court to hear its appeal of a lower court ruling against a federal ban on "bump stock" devices that enable semiautomatic weapons to fire like machine guns.

In January, the New Orleans-based 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with Cargill, concluding that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), a U.S. Justice Department agency, impermissibly reclassified bump stocks as machine guns, which are forbidden under U.S. law.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/biden-appeals-ruling-against-ban-gun-bump-stocks-2023-04-07/#:~:text=In January%2C the New Orleans,are forbidden under U.S. law.

After that it's a slow (or fast?) march to fully auto weapons, and I can't see how any weapon could ever be banned. This would include grenade launchers, shoulder-fired missiles, drone-mounted firearms, drone-launched ordinance, etc.

Even though I am not associated with a well-regulaed militia, you can't infringe on my right to own, use, walk around in public with any "arm".

The National Firearms Act of 1934 banned the machine gun.

https://homicide.northwestern.edu/docs_fk/homicide/laws/national_firearms_act_of_1934.pdf

47 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

The argument goes something like this: if you confiscate guns from law abiding citizens—only bad guys will have guns.

Yeah. Makes about as much sense as the Second Amendment.

I mean if you replace "guns" with "muskets" which required ~ 30 seconds to re-load.

IMO, the Second Amendment should be interpreted in "originalist" format, so what ever weapons were availble then (~ 1780) are covered by the Second Amendment now. Tri-cornered hats, and well-regulated militias, are optional. And yes, if you really want a canon go for it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2023 at 8:12 AM, Skeptic7 said:

The USA has fallen mightily and continues in decline. It's become so unhinged and usurped by ignorant Trump sucking, gun toting, bible banging, Fox News loving, conspiracy spouting, extreme right-wing imbecile hypocrites. It's just gross. ????

Biden doing a top notch job of destroying the place too. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Right now they want it both ways.

No. They want it "their" way.

9 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

Biden doing a top notch job of destroying the place too. 

I though you guys said that Joe was brain-dead and sequestered in the basement? But, now, whoa, he's playing 4D chess?

Sheesh, settle on a narrative and stick to it.

8 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

If I lived in the US, I’d definitely want to own a gun for protection.

"If"? (I for one am thankful you do not. Phew, dodged a bullet on that one.)

Why?

I honestly do no know anyone who owns a gun. ( My grandfathers did, they were hunters, but they're long deceased. )

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Why?

I honestly do no know anyone who owns a gun. ( My grandfathers did, they were hunters, but they're long deceased. )

Too many others out there with guns and bad intentions. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1