divorced but staying on marriage visa

immigration had visited my ex-wife's place but she was not home. 
i've been staying on marriage visa after the divorce in december, visa expires in August.
no one at the amphoe told me to go to immigration about the visa when we were getting the divorce.

What's the worst case scenario staying on the marriage visa after divorce?
Can they ban me from the country because of that?

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

i've been staying on marriage visa after the divorce in december, visa expires in August.
no one at the amphoe told me to go to immigration about the visa when we were getting the divorce.

What's the worst case scenario staying on the marriage visa after divorce?
Can they ban me from the country because of that?

Do you actually have a still valid visa from an embassy (1 year, multiple entries) that requires you to to border bounces every 90 days? Or do you have an extension from immigration in Thailand?

An extension needed to be canceled when the divorce became final, and I suspect that's what the district office told you to do. You could get into serious trouble if your overstay is discovered. 

• Like 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Do you mean extension based on marriage from a non O.....OR 

A ME non O marriage visa valid for one year? 

If an extension then that permission of stay ended date of divorce. 

If a ME non O marriage visa then that remain valid.

Why did immigration do a home visit. 

Are you on OK terms with x wife? 

When folk get divorced sometimes the farang remains in Thailand and exits prior to permission expiry. 

I'm in great terms with my ex-wife.
I'm on NON-O that's valied from 22 September 2022 to 26 August 2023.
I dont know why immigration made the visit, they will call my wife since she wasnt home when they made the visit. They talked to her neighbour. 

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

Do you actually have a still valid visa from an embassy (1 year, multiple entries) that requires you to to border bounces every 90 days? Or do you have an extension from immigration in Thailand?

An extension needed to be canceled when the divorce became final, and I suspect that's what the district office told you to do. You could get into serious trouble if your overstay is discovered. 

I need to do the 90d report, no need to leave the country until August 26th

3 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

I'm on NON-O that's valied from 22 September 2022 to 26 August 2023.

Did you obtain this visa in eg Savannakhet.

OR 

Did you obtain a 12 month extension at immigration office in Thailand? 

If so you have a multiple entry non O marriage.

In that case you have no issues. 

You can stay in Thailand till the expiry you mentioned 

Edited by DrJack54

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Did you obtain this visa in eg Savannakhet.

If so you have a multiple entry non O marriage.

In that case you have no issues. 

You can stay in Thailand till the expiry you mentioned 

aaaah it's the second or third extension to the original visa.

Just now, stoicccc said:

aaaah it's the second or third extension to the original visa.

OK....

Your permission of stay ended date of divorce.

However immigration is not notified of divorce.

You mentioned on good terms with X wife.

You can run small risk of remaining in Thailand or exit .

When you exit there will be no issue with immigration.

Concerned about immigration visit.

That's not normal.

Are you 50+

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OK....

Your permission of stay ended date of divorce.

However immigration is not notified of divorce.

You mentioned on good terms with X wife.

You can run small risk of remaining in Thailand or exit .

When you exit there will be no issue with immigration.

Concerned about immigration visit.

That's not normal.

Are you 50+

no, i'm not 50 yet.

talked to a lawyer and he recommended visiting the immigration ASAP and explaining the situation

Edited by stoicccc

Just now, stoicccc said:

no, i'm not 50 yet.

talked to a lawyer and he recommended visiting the immigration ASAP 

Don't do that. 

To be frank you have limited options.

You cannot obtain a new non O based on retirement.

You are on overstay but different from the "usual overstay" 

If it wasn't for the home visit I would suggest that take time and get your affairs in order and exit Thailand prior to August.

From there you would need to consider options how to return.

Being settled here no doubt you have "stuff" to sort out.

Obtaining a METV that provides almost 9 month stay would be one option

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stoicccc said:

Would talking to Thailand Elite Visa people and getting one of those visas be an option?

Elite visa would definitely be an option 

Some of the guys with PE visa can advise.

The thing with that visa is overstay just about rules you out.

If you have the means to obtain that 5 year visa (think it's 600k) then that would be great option.

If that's on your radar perhaps best to exit Thailand at some point and go from there.

Again guys that have that visa can best advise.

It can be applied for from outside of Thailand. 

I have a Belgium mate that applied when outside of Thailand and was greeted at BKK airport by elite staff and sticker attached to pp. 

1 hour ago, stoicccc said:

I dont know why immigration made the visit, they will call my wife since she wasnt home when they made the visit. They talked to her neighbour. 

Q: Is the neighbour aware of the divorce???

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yang123 said:

Q: Is the neighbour aware of the divorce???

Good question.

Neighbour or random male "friend" 

Run Forest run! 

From my earlier post.....

"Concerned about immigration visit.

That's not normal."

Edited by DrJack54

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They know about the divorce don't they?

That's the 64million $ question.

If someone has made immigration aware of divorce then he needs exit Thailand asap.

Immigration is not notified of divorce. It would require a grass. 

BTW: thinking you have a PE Visa?

The OP asked about that option.

Your information would be helpful. 

Edited by DrJack54

I expect before a Elite visa is issued a person must cancel his current visa/extension.  Although the OP is talking a marriage extension below Thailand Elite Visa webpage talks the process to switch from a Non O Retirement to an Elite visa "which first requires the person to cancel his current visa." 

https://www.thailandelite-direct.com/en/blog/post/cancellation-of-non-immigrant-o-visa

I expect the process would be the same for a Non O Marriage cancellation which would probably entail the person showing he/she still qualifies for the current marriage extension which would mean producing a Kor Ror 3 Marriage Certificate and fresh Kor Ror 2 Marriage Registration to confirm the person is still married.   Or said another way before Immigration will cancel the extension they first confirm you are still qualified to be on the marriage extension which the OP would not be able to do since he's no longer married.  

Late last year I switched from an OA Marriage Extension of stay to an LTR Pensioner visa....on the day I went to get the LTR Pensioner visa inked into my passport at Immigration I had to first cancel my OA Marriage Extension of Stay which required the wife and I producing our Kor Ror 3 and a fresh Kor Ror 2 Marriage Registration.   Basically proving I was still qualified to be on the marriage extension....basically proving that with above two mentioned docs Immigration cancelled that marriage extension and then issued the LTR visa.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Gaccha said:

You are on 4- 5 months overstay. You are facing detention, a 1 year ban and 20,000 baht fine.

If he leaves the country before immigration catch up with him, will this still apply?

If so he's screwed already.

If not, then he needs to leave the country as soon as possible and come back in either on a tourist visa or visa exempt.

All this talk about elite visas is very nice but it means nothing if he gets caught out by this overstay. The absolute most important thing right now is to re-enter the country on some form, any form, of legitimate temporary stay (if possible; somebody else please advise). Only once that is done should he start worrying about the longer term.

Edited by JayClay
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

If he leaves the country before immigration catch up with him, will this still apply?

Unless someone told immigration he got divorced (where he was suppose to immediately notify immigration of the divorce, immigration would have given him a 7 day period to leave the county,  and then switch to an authorized visa), immigration would not know he's now divorced and wouldn't be taking any action. 

As far as immigration knows he's still married (unless someone told them otherwise) and his marriage extension is still shows valid in the immigration system although it should have been cancelled due to the divorce.  

Now if for some reason the immigration police decide to check his current visa/extension status because of maybe getting arrested for something (i.e.,  causing an accident, whatever, etc) or the immigration police just decide to randomly  check his current marriage status to ensure he still authorized a marriage extension, then that police checking could uncover his divorce and then the sh&t hits the fan regarding the overstay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stoicccc said:

I need to do the 90d report, no need to leave the country until August 26th

Actually you had to leave when your divorce became final. The big question is why immigration showed up at your ex-wife's house. Chances are they became aware of your divorce, which if true would be a big problem, as you probably couldn't just leave the country anymore, which would be your best option otherwise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Actually you had to leave when your divorce became final. The big question is why immigration showed up at your ex-wife's house. Chances are they became aware of your divorce, which if true would be a big problem, as you probably couldn't just leave the country anymore, which would be your best option otherwise.

It would be an overstay from Dec 12th, why wouldn't the let me leave the country`?

Edited by stoicccc