Fox News Poll: 71% choose funding Social Security, Medicare over budget cuts

onthedarkside

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I agree, reverse tax cuts for the rich now.

Would you stick to that principle with yourself being rich in Thailand ?

Forget the legalities, but would be be willing to pay 45 % tax to the Thai Government  on all your  income over the average 15 000 Baht per month (income) in Thailand ?

Would you stick to your principles of taxing the rich, with yourself being rich in Thailand ?

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Forget the legalities, but would be be willing to pay 45 % tax to the Thai Government  on all your  income over the average 15 000 Baht per month (income) in Thailand ?

Would you stick to your principles of taxing the rich, with yourself being rich in Thailand ?

On what basis do you claim anyone here is rich or has an unpaid tax liability in Thailand?

Or was that simply an attempt to take the discussion off track?

• Like 1

If I am correct, right now if you make more than $163,200 USD you stop paying SS tax. Why is that? Why should anyone be able to stop especially when they are making so much money?

I say

- Do not put a maximum taxable earnings on income to pay into SS

- Do a thorough investigation on those that are receiving disability income from SS. There are many that are abusing the system.

- Stop spending so much money on other countries that do no good for the USA. Help your own people first!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You brought up the UK when it suited you.....................

image.png.fbae01e272a0d374ea94a789b4fd52ef.png

I used the UK and France as examples, that's not an invitation to make the UK the focus of the debate! The US, UK, French and Australian systems are all very different, they are funded differently, contain very different numbers of members and have very very different deficits. What is appropriate for one is not necessarily appropriate for the others and the timings of individual actions will need to vary also, just because one did this or that whenever is not a timing benchmark for the rest, even if the action is required by them all.

• Sad 1

Just now, nigelforbes said:

I used the UK and France as examples, that's not an invitation to make the UK the focus of the debate! The US, UK, French and Australian systems are all very different, they are funded differently, contain very different numbers of members and have very very different deficits. What is appropriate for one is not necessarily appropriate for the others and the timings of individual actions will need to vary also, just because one did this or that whenever is not a timing benchmark for the rest, even if the action is required by them all.

As I said, you brought in the UK, when another poster does the same you object. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

When someone has got nothing, a last resort is to try and make it personal.

Its interesting to know peoples principles 

Would they still agree with taxing the rich, if they were rich themselves (as they are in Thailand)

Would they still agree with the philosophy with high taxation of the rich if the Thai Government began taxing people living in Thailands income at 45 % ?

Would you happily and contently give the Thai Government 45 % of your income, as you do agree with high taxation of people on  a large income 

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Would they still agree with taxing the rich, if they were rich themselves (as they are in Thailand)

Would they still agree with the philosophy with high taxation of the rich if the Thai Government began taxing people living in Thailands income at 45 % ?

Would you happily and contently give the Thai Government 45 % of your income, as you do agree with high taxation of people on  a large income 

Have you never heard of a progressive tax system? If you haven't, get yourself acquainted with the concept.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If I were earning money in Thailand I would expect to pay all the required taxes.

Like many I just spend money in Thailand that I earned elsewhere.  It appears Thailand finds that acceptable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Bizarre whataboutary.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, heybruce said:

If I were earning money in Thailand I would expect to pay all the required taxes.

Like many I just spend money in Thailand that I earned elsewhere.  It appears Thailand finds that acceptable.

Hypothetically though .

Would you support the Thai Government if they began taxing your income at 45 %

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Hypothetically though .

Of course, another problem with this question is that you're asking it of people who aren't beneficiaries of Thai govt programs and services the way that citizens are.

39 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Hypothetically though .

It has to be hypocritical, because you have zero logical argument to support the protection of the hyper wealthy in the US at cost to the national debt and essential social welfare programs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Hypothetically though .

I answered that question.  If I earned the money in Thailand and that were the law, then I would pay the tax.  What further support do you expect?

• Like 1

Just now, heybruce said:

I answered that question.  If I earned the money in Thailand and that were the law, then I would pay the tax.  What further support do you expect?

But Mac MickManus wants to know if you'd be happy. Because isn't happiness the reason we all pay taxes? To tell you the truth, even paying the VAT at seven-eleven gives me a frisson of joy every time I do it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Hypothetically though .

Isn't it close to 45% already?

Money you make is taxed.

Money you spend is taxed.

..... and on top of that you're taxed for things like your home, land, personal property (car)

The Republicans have been threatening not to raise the debt ceiling until the debt issue is addressed. In other words, they are threatening to damage the U.S. economy. How do the Republicans think voters are going to react to this threat considering that most voters don't care that much about the issue? Once again, Republicans are impersonating lemmings.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The Republicans have been threatening not to raise the debt ceiling until the debt issue is addressed. In other words, they are threatening to damage the U.S. economy. How do the Republicans think voters are going to react to this threat considering that most voters don't care that much about the issue? Once again, Republicans are impersonating lemmings.

They've been down this path before with suboptimal results. How does that saying about stupidity go again?

• Like 1