Transfer to new US passport -- Embassy says letter is no longer required, as of April 10, 2023

46 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, WHY would a Thai government office be REQUESTING one (the Embassy stamp transfer letter) if they were no longer needed???

For the same reason that (when applying for a Retirement extension with more than 1,600,000 THB in a Thai bank account), I was told I needed to provide them with an Embassy Income letter, Immigration personnel often don't understand their own requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Has anybody told Thai immigration that letter is not needed .....

" If a Thai government office requests one, your cancelled passport and your newly issued passport will suffice."

The American Embassy says so , will Thai Immigration play ball , if they don't  and still require a letter , and US

Embassy says  you don't need one , your going to have problems.......

regards worgeordie

Australia embassy also will not issue a letter the just put a stamp in your old passport and you have to write in the number of your new passport. IMO at CW accepted that but demanded I produce a bank certified statement of one years transactions.  

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Repeating notions posted above and also repeating a fair number of often-heard comments from US expats here in Chiangmai, it would be nice if the Consulate employees would actually earn their nice US government salaries and actually provide services that would actually be helpful to US expats.  Let's see, you quit doing passport renewals for the most part, quit doing residence certificates (which expats needed for obtaining a vehicle, etc.), you quit doing income affidavits (which made it more difficult for extensions based upon the 65k a month), and now you're even quitting providing the form letters to assist transfer of Thai stamps into a new passport.

And you're spending mega-taxpayer dollars to build a mega-building out next to Index mall.  Given we US expats pay US income taxes which help fund you're operations and palace-building here, how about actually asking the US expats what services they would prefer and, then (I'm not holding my breath), actually provide them.

When I was reading the link to US Embassy website page in the thread here, I noticed the advisory about Americans living in the north NOT being able to apply for passport renewals thru the CM Consulate, and instead having to send their request to Bangkok...

I mean really, how tough could it be for the CM Consulate to forward that kind of stuff onward.

"There are no appointments available to renew adult passports at U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai. Customers who appear at U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai requesting adult passport renewal (Form DS-82) will be required to mail their passport application to U.S. Embassy Bangkok."

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kennw said:

Australia embassy also will not issue a letter the just put a stamp in your old passport and you have to write in the number of your new passport. IMO at CW accepted that but demanded I produce a bank certified statement of one years transactions.  

Similar problem this year @ Jomtien.

Passport was ok (15 months new) but my updated bankbook only had 11.5 months of transactions (meeting all requirements.)

Had to get old cancelled bank book & take photos of last 18 months transactions and the front page.

Haven't come across this one in 10 years.

It really does depend on the Immig Officer and the day.

Lordy knows what the IO does with all this paper.????????

2 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Same issue with newly issued Aus passport last year at Jomtien IO.

Luckily I had been clever enuff to photograph the Embassy receipt.

That got me through.????????

actually the aussie embassy now only issues the letters for renewed passports that are sent in the mail. If you collect in person they put a stamp in the old passport confirming that it's a legit passport renewal. At least that's what I was advised by the aussie consulate in CM in February when I enquired, as my passport is due for renewal later this year.

Edited by TigerandDog

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Maybe the U.S. Embassy is following an approach used by the singer Prince who changed his entertainment name to "The Artist Formerly Known as  Prince."

If they do we may soon see the "American Citizen Services" section of the embassy changing their name to "The Section That Formerly Provided American Citizen Services."

ChoiceGreat post. Sad but true. :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

actually the aussie embassy now only issues the letters for renewed passports that are sent in the mail. If you collect in person they put a stamp in the new passport confirming that it's a legit passport renewal. At least that's what I was advised by the aussie consulate in CM when I enquired, as my passport is due for renewal later this year.

Fair enuff.

Yes for personal pick up.

Best to check with the Aus Embassy in Bkk for mail rather than consulate?

I rarely trust websites....usually outdated information.

It seems everyone has a slightly different story.????????

Edited by Lucky Bones

2 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

"Neanderthals", often times considered an appropriate way to describe the Immigration bureaucracy in Thailand ????

Be that as it may, but it is their country, and if they ask for such things, even if silly, how can embassies refuse, thereby creating possibly huge problems for their overseas citizens?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Earlier this year, I needed to make a notarial services appointment at BKK ACS...  Waited an entire TWO WEEK period where they had absolutely NO available appointment slots listed any time -- no matter how far in advance -- on their website..... before one finally became available.

When I finally went there, I asked the consular assistant who I met about the scheduling issues. And he replied that they were short-staffed, and thus the paucity of available appointments. No word about whether that was going to be an ongoing thing, or something they were going to remedy at some point.

The fact that there was now a 6 week wait when I last checked the other day suggests the problem is getting worse... not better.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2