Pattaya motorcycle taxi rider threatens to kill 2 foreigners over fare dispute

snoop1130

15 hours ago, nauseus said:

Bradiston said he never asked for a price.

Which he should have. Not asking gives the impression you're an easy mark and invites an overcharge. Some drivers can resist the temptation, to be sure; what percentage, I dunno. A practice to be discouraged in any case, esp. for our noobs.

15 hours ago, nauseus said:

Just a fair Songkran gesture as far as he was concerned. That's his business.

Then "well done" or not isn't your business.

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Which he should have. Not asking gives the impression you're an easy mark and invites an overcharge. Some drivers can resist the temptation, to be sure; what percentage, I dunno. A practice to be discouraged in any case, esp. for our noobs.

It's incredible the way you offer up these diktats about how I should behave. I don't like, or agree, with anything you say, least of all your pompous, gratuitous and misleading advice. I'm not a child and I wasn't born yesterday. I don't need your advice on how to treat or reward a Win, nor on how to live any aspect of my life here. "Our noobs"? Who are they, and who are you? Big daddy?

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

I'm not a child and I wasn't born yesterday. I don't need your advice on how to treat or reward a Win, nor on how to live any aspect of my life here. "Our noobs"? Who are they, and who are you? Big daddy?

So far, since you bring it up, I'm not impressed.????  Saying so ain't doing. Anyway, I didn't give you any advice, which you'd merely (and now, noisily) ignore, but dared disagree with another poster's "Well done."

Throwing money around as a Big Spender helps create a moral hazard and is partly responsible for Thais' expectations that farang are ATMs. And we complain about that just all the time around here. Noobs are obviously members or tourists w/o much experience in dealing w/ the Thai transportation matrix AND who need or want to be careful about their spending. Older members often advise even against tipping.

Yours for the Win Honesty Project,

Big Daddy (capital 'D').

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

It's incredible the way you offer up these diktats about how I should behave. I don't like, or agree, with anything you say, least of all your pompous, gratuitous and misleading advice. I'm not a child and I wasn't born yesterday. I don't need your advice on how to treat or reward a Win, nor on how to live any aspect of my life here. "Our noobs"? Who are they, and who are you? Big daddy?

You offered up your two experiences with a ‘Win’ as typical experiences with ‘Win’. 
But they aren’t typical, because you overpay them. 

It seems that in one district alone in Bangkok, 30 of them were arrested for overcharging etc during Songkran. But according to you they are all paragons of virtue, wronged by their penny-pinching customers. 
Give it up on this thread eh? 

Edited by NextG

47 minutes ago, NextG said:

You offered up your two experiences with a ‘Win’ as typical experiences with ‘Win’. 
But they aren’t typical, because you overpay them. 

It seems that in one district alone in Bangkok, 30 of them were arrested for overcharging etc during Songkran. But according to you they are all paragons of virtue, wronged by their penny-pinching customers. 
Give it up on this thread eh? 

Yeah, I wondered when the Win round up in Bangkok would come on board. Any side but yours NextG, any side but yours.

23 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Yeah, I wondered when the Win round up in Bangkok would come on board. Any side but yours NextG, any side but yours.

?? Why so wound up? It’s like you want to try to prove everyone else wrong, even when you are wrong. Just let it go…

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

You should get out of the habit of trying to tell people what to do, how to do it and stop being a noob. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, bradiston said:

And get a receipt?

It comes with the debit card slip from the machine.......(actually, a Q-Code scan would be a quick and easy way to pay......having the cash change is often unlikely for me).

7 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

It seems that this is becoming normal behavior in Thailand. The guys with the limited amount of brain cells just pull a weapon if they disagree with you. 

It has been the case for a long time that weapons are carried, taxi drivers, van drivers etc are known for it. Language barriers exacerbate confrontations.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It comes with the debit card slip from the machine.......(actually, a Q-Code scan would be a quick and easy way to pay......having the cash change is often unlikely for me).

It was a joke, but since when do Wins carry card machines?

On 4/15/2023 at 4:07 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

Good service = tip. Either using the service, or not (if too expensive). But arguing over 40 baht after the price was already pre-arranged? Life is too short for that, esp. if you're on a holiday...

I would agree, however we do not know how fast the situation went from "Your having a laugh", wind your neck in situation to the LD syndrome kicking in with the Thai pulling a knife. I have had several altercations with taxi drivers over the years and thai males (always lone pack not formed) and its gone from zero to weapon very fast and I include gun!!!

2 minutes ago, BritScot said:

I have had several altercations with taxi drivers over the years and thai males (always lone pack not formed) and its gone from zero to weapon very fast and I include gun!!!

Yes, seems to be common. I had once an argument with a Win guy. Shortly after I was warned that his whole gang was plotting to kill me.