91% of Serious Injuries During Songkran Attributed to People Not Wearing Seat Belts

webfact

1 hour ago, DudleySquat said:

There are seat belts in some taxis.  Other taxi drivers remove them or hide them under the seat so they cannot be used.  I don't use Grab, Bolt or a taxi if they don't provide a seat belt for each passenger. Full stop.

Yep, same ????

10 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

i do not know about you guys

but i have never seen a pickup truk that had 14 sets of safetybelts in the back

not even 4 of them as the thai kindergarden cops (RTP) had stated only 4 persons in the back were alowed 

Have yet to see a seatbelt in the back of a songtaew/ baht bus!

2 minutes ago, SportRider said:

Yep, same ????

I report every violation for Grab, Bolt, and Taxis to their respective company or to the Taxi Commission. I don't care if the driver is too stupid to wear a seat belt. I am not so stupid as to get into a car where the seat belts have either been hidden or cut.  I get out, take a short video of no seat belts, and then report them.  I am guarding my own life and that of my family members.  By reporting them, I am likely saving lives too. I don't give a God Damn if they starve because they get fired. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

National — The Secretary General of the Thai Public Health Ministry Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong reported that there was an uptick in serious injuries related to road accidents during this year’s Songkran festival, and 91% of the serious injuries were caused by people neglecting seat belts.

Serious injuries are not directly caused through people not wearing their seat belts

The injuries are caused because of the Lunatics that are Racing around ( many Drunk ) on Thai Roads

The injuries are a direct consequence of that deplorable behavior

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

91% of Serious Injuries During Songkran Attributed to People Not Wearing Seat Belts

... and not alcohol.

The injuries would not have been as serious if the drivers had been wearing seat belts.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

91% of the serious injuries were caused by people neglecting seat belts.

Easy to Blame the seat belt. The cause of injuries and deaths, is clear for me; the aggressiveness and incompetence of the drivers. Everybody knows about Driving Thai Way… 

Edited by Tarteso
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Easy to Blame the seat belt. The cause of injuries and deaths, is clear for me; the aggressiveness and incompetence of the drivers. Everybody knows about Driving Thai Way… 

I went out to eat last night.... lot of aggressiveness in the driving around me. Pickups belching smoke as they try to undertake and push the diesel engine too hard. Must still be many drunk or hung-over!

• Like 1

Aye, when I were a lad, front seat belts were added to all new cars in the UK in 1968 (but did not become compulsory to use until 1983 - can you believe it?). Thank Volvo for inventing then. The palaver they caused, with drivers grumbling that they made cars into deathtraps if they turned over and caught fire. However, the police pulled everyone over and fined them so the grumbles turned to mutters. 

Rear seat belts were introduced 1986 but only compulsory to buckle up in 1991.

In the Land of the Free, drivers think seatbelts are for pouftas and limit their "freedom". Sounds familiar. 

Perhaps a few more severe fines are needed to turn the grumbles into mutters. 

Thais have to be the world's slowest drivers normally, yet they still manage an incredibly high death rate on the roads. Stands to reason that when they're celebrating, get full of alcohol and start speeding, that death rate is going to increase. It isn't what the headline says, although enforcing the seatbelt law would help reduce car/truck/bus deaths.

Motorbikes are a lost cause, although NOT drenching the motorcyclist with buckets of dirty, ice-cold water might help.

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I went out to eat last night.... lot of aggressiveness in the driving around me. Pickups belching smoke as they try to undertake and push the diesel engine too hard. Must still be many drunk or hung-over!

Many of them don’t need to be drunk, it’s just the way they are.
On the roads more than 10 years, driving my car and bike around the whole country and I wonder why I Am still alive...????

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

The gf's family have now got used to me wearing a seatbelt either as driver or passenger, regardless of the journey length.

This time I had to remove a dummy buckle from the seatbelt socket; both driver and front passenger seats have these to stop the warning signal. 

I just don't get why there's a reluctance to embrace safety measures in Thailand.

An extremely cavalier attitude, not being able to comprehend the consequences of serious accident, no safety education, and absolutely no deterrence combine to create a very dangerous mix. 

This 91% of drivers killed, is only that of the 20% of accidents in 4 wheeled vehicles, not the 80% on motor bikes. So it really means that only a very small percent of the serious injuries were down to not wearing belts.

5 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

The official Statistics speak for themselves. No license to drive and Motorcyclists with no Helmet. As long as law Enforcement is on a whim You cannot reduce your Road toll. In Thailand the most obvious infringements of the Law is Lack of Helmets, overloading of Motorcycles, Underage riders.

Sorry but this is way off base. Licenses are worthless because police don't enforce road safety rules like speeding, yielding and the myriad of reckless driving you see everyday. =

Thai police are a cargo cult that thinks because they have a license system and uniforms they are doing police work but in reality they are useless, as are their useless licenses they issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Thais have to be the world's slowest drivers normally, yet they still manage an incredibly high death rate on the roads. Stands to reason that when they're celebrating, get full of alcohol and start speeding, that death rate is going to increase. It isn't what the headline says, although enforcing the seatbelt law would help reduce car/truck/bus deaths.

Motorbikes are a lost cause, although NOT drenching the motorcyclist with buckets of dirty, ice-cold water might help.

Thais have to be the world's slowest drivers!!!

From my experience a huge percentage of Thais have only know how to drive/ride one way. Maximum velocity at all times no matter what the road conditions.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Lack of wearing helmets and seat belts doesn’t cause accidents…

driving behavior does which is caused by aggressive attitude, disrespect for regulations and lack of proper training on how to drive

Forget about the lack of proper training on how to drive in Thailand. You cannot train stupid.

• Like 1

Alcohol and other drugs, aggressive angry macho driving and zero education in correct and safe driving is the cause of so many injuries. You really want force Thais to use belts in a country where law is seldomly enforced! New income source for corrupt police but otherwise no real change to be expected... After they all died out, the streets will become safer.

Edited by pp00
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

100% Of serious injury's attributed to lack of skills of motorized transport ????

I would say more of a  lack of genuine common sense would be the first thing, if you do have that, driving or riding, you will be almost free of getting involved in an accident as long as you do not lack having the skills of motorized transport.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

The gf's family have now got used to me wearing a seatbelt either as driver or passenger, regardless of the journey length.

This time I had to remove a dummy buckle from the seatbelt socket; both driver and front passenger seats have these to stop the warning signal. 

I just don't get why there's a reluctance to embrace safety measures in Thailand.

Google average IQ by country and PISA educational tables rankings for the main answer. The unbuckled person in the rear seat is a significant danger to you in front too…although you’d have little chance of getting them to understand that bit of physics . As the driver I simply firmly say "Kem cut" to everyone before setting off,not leaving until complied with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Thailand has road deaths the USA has mass gun massacres. Same same but different.

No,one is a conscious and deliberate choice to kill ,the other causing death and injury by mindless stupidity and lack of foresight.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

This 91% of drivers killed, is only that of the 20% of accidents in 4 wheeled vehicles, not the 80% on motor bikes. So it really means that only a very small percent of the serious injuries were down to not wearing belts.

Although I could accurately say 91% of those killed in road traffic accidents WEREN'T wearing a seatbelt.. ???? 

• Confused 1

When I visited my GF's family in Sakon Nakhon, we went on those famous family van rides to all the tourists sites.  

My God, I was in fear for my miserable life.  No seatbelts.  Fast driving to overtake a slow truck, near misses, and most of all, the driver was drinking his Chang Beer as was everyone esle.

The kids were not strapped in and no one cared.

That is when I realized that I was not in Kansas anymore.....555555.

Life can be cheap in this country.

• Like 2