If you witnessed a man beating a woman to a pulp in public, would you intervene?

bob smith

No

You have no idea what's going on.

Goes doubly if the people involved know where you live.

This is the point that many heroes won't understand here. It's not about her safety it's about yours - not to mention the guns loose about now.

Edited by Menken
  • Like 1

Nope, would call the cops, security but would not interfere.
Friend of mine tried to stop a guy beating a girl outside a bar about 12 years ago in Australia. The guy turned on my friend, then the girl who was being beat up turned on my friend also. Friend ended up in hospital with 12 stitches and a scar for life. 

7 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

Nope, would call the cops, security but would not interfere.
Friend of mine tried to stop a guy beating a girl outside a bar about 12 years ago in Australia. The guy turned on my friend, then the girl who was being beat up turned on my friend also. Friend ended up in hospital with 12 stitches and a scar for life. 

But a great story.

On 4/17/2023 at 12:14 PM, bogs smith said:

i did initially. then she said mai pen ri,

i said are you sure? she said yes.then the thug started laughing like a child.

So you didn't really do anything then?

31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I realised when working in the UK that the fastest way to go to jail was to have anything to do with any child for any reason.

I worked in a surgical theatre and the recovery nurses in the children's section were forbidden by the hospital to physically comfort post op children because it could lead to legal problems. Society gone barking IMO.

Many years ago people I worked with put it around behind my back that I'm a child molester, I lost my job because of it. 

I've never had any interest in any way whatsoever in children. 

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

same rule pretty much anywhere. You dont get involved in domestic disputes as you dont jnow the whole story. 

Exactly,

While I can never condone violence, there's a fair chance she's not innocent either.

Guys on here like to talk about Somchais like they are the world's worst men, and put Ploys up on a medistal like they are angels from heaven.

It couldn't be further from the truth.

I reckon they are as bad as each other, Ploy and Somchai. 

For all we know, they're married and she's gotten them into a million baht worth of debt with loan sharks for online gambling and lost it all. I've actually personally seen this a handful of times, it's more common than you think.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Exactly,

While I can never condone violence, there's a fair chance she's not innocent either.

Guys on here like to talk about Somchais like they are the world's worst men, and put Ploys up on a medistal like they are angels from heaven.

It couldn't be further from the truth.

I reckon they are as bad as each other, Ploy and Somchai. 

For all we know, they're married and she's gotten them into a million baht worth of debt with loan sharks for online gambling and lost it all. I've actually personally seen this a handful of times, it's more common than you think.

Would you go out drinking with your wife, and then beat your wife up, or pack and leave her when you knew the truth, or if your appartment, kicked her out? 

There is many good ways to escape wife physical and psychological abuse then get drunk and beat her up.

Wouldnt you agree? 

Still his fault for letting her taking advantage of you!

Every day I read topics like this, there is always excuses for not doing the right things, and lay all the blaim on everyone else, especially the women.

Are you responsible for what you do and your mistakes or not? 

On 4/17/2023 at 12:25 PM, recom273 said:

The general answer is .. keep your nose out however, that may not sit well with your conscious.

You don't know the whole domestic situation, maybe you go to give him a dig and he pulls out a knife or gun - also, you are a guest here, you are on rocky ground with the police  if you start brawling in the street - leave it to a local to sort out.

The old "you're a guest here" just took a few spins on the Goofy MerryGoRound here at Aseannow.  How was the ride?

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Many years ago people I worked with put it around behind my back that I'm a child molester, I lost my job because of it. 

I've never had any interest in any way whatsoever in children. 

I can believe that. Lots of bad people around.

Luckily I had nothing to do with children at work, only adults, but I refused to be alone in a room with a female patient with the door closed. Far too risky in this Brave New World of ours.

BTW, back in the 1980s I actually worked on the children's ward with no problems, but it was before the western world went mad.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Well most of us were not immigrants, as our visas pointed out, so yes, most of us were guests.

You are confusing the act of being a guest with the oldie but goodie "you're just a guest here ...."

• Confused 2

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I realised when working in the UK that the fastest way to go to jail was to have anything to do with any child for any reason.

I worked in a surgical theatre and the recovery nurses in the children's section were forbidden by the hospital to physically comfort post op children because it could lead to legal problems. Society gone barking IMO.

That is a bit of an exaggeration .

In the U.K , you are not allowed to touch Children when it isn't necessary .

Touching Children to comfort them after they have surgical procedures isn't part of a nurses job and Parents may object to that 

I've been here long enough to know that you may end up becoming the villain and not the hero. Next morning, when they are love birds again, you will be branded an attacker or interfering farang.  You may also end up stabbed or shot. A farang interfering in the affairs of a Thai man's family is the ultimate loss of face. 

I agree though, it's hard to walk away. I would simply tell the nearest Thai person or security guard and ask them to call the police.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can believe that. Lots of bad people around.

Luckily I had nothing to do with children at work, only adults, but I refused to be alone in a room with a female patient with the door closed. Far too risky in this Brave New World of ours.

BTW, back in the 1980s I actually worked on the children's ward with no problems, but it was before the western world went mad.

Many years ago my sister fostered kids who came from situations where children had been sexually abused. One rule was that.no male was supposed to be alone with those kids at any time. That was as much for our protection as it was for theirs. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Would you go out drinking with your wife, and then beat your wife up, or pack and leave her when you knew the truth, or if your appartment, kicked her out? 

I'd would do none of that.

There is many good ways to escape wife physical and psychological abuse then get drunk and beat her up.

Wouldnt you agree? 

Of course, didn't I say right at the start of my post that I don't condone violence?

Still his fault for letting her taking advantage of you!

You mean 'him'?

Nah, I'd say if she's taking advantage of him, it's her fault.

Every day I read topics like this, there is always excuses for not doing the right things, and lay all the blaim on everyone else, especially the women.

I don't see women getting the blame for anything............ever.

The fact that you'd blame a man for a woman taking advantage of him is ironic here. Lol.

Are you responsible for what you do and your mistakes or not? 

I'm certainly a responsible person, lol, and obviously I make mistakes. ????

Not sure how this is relevant though.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Many years ago my sister fostered kids who came from situations where children had been sexually abused. One rule was that.no male was supposed to be alone with those kids at any time. That was as much for our protection as it was for theirs. 

It's amazing how it's socially acceptable to treat all males like they could be a danger, but not any other demographic group.

17 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I'd would do none of that.

Of course, didn't I say right at the start of my post that I don't condone violence?

You mean 'him'?

Nah, I'd say if she's taking advantage of him, it's her fault.

I don't see women getting the blame for anything............ever.

The fact that you'd blame a man for a woman taking advantage of him is ironic here. Lol.

I'm certainly a responsible person, lol, and obviously I make mistakes. ????

Not sure how this is relevant though.

it is all about being responsible for your own mistakes even you was taken advantaged of. Very few I know who did not understand especially in Thailand, with a Thai woman who gambled for their own luck and happiness to quick and failed. 

A few was just fooled and taken for a ride out of the blue, but to be true, not so many. 

Today I intervened, in a food court.

An (I think American) Karen was shouting bad words at a Thai guy. I don't think the guy did anything wrong. She appeared to be just crazy, shouting around and pointing her finer and f@%@ you and all that.

I walked over there and told her she should better shut up before the guy loses his patients and he shuts her up. Obviously, she didn't like that I told her to shut up. But then at least her anger went in my direction, and I just ignored her. The Thai guy walked away without knocking her out. Good luck for her.

angry-blond-karen-woman-screaming-and-po

On 4/17/2023 at 7:18 AM, dingdongrb said:

While living in China I saw many men beating their women in public almost on a daily occasion. I was told by a close Chinese friend (female) not to get involved as it probably wouldn't be good for me.

And here in Thailand I was told pretty much the same thing from a close Thai friend (male) during one of my first trips here well over 20 years ago. Matter of fact he had even told me not to provide aide to any Thai I saw injured in an accident even though I was certified in CPR at the time. He informed me that if I touched the injured person and they became disabled or even died because of the accident that their family might say it was my fault and sue me. 

I've heard that said too. Was told the same thing in Saudi at the end of my First Aid / CPR course in regard to the "locals".

In Thailand, even if I felt intervening was the right thing to do, i would mind my own business knowing that I would likely be blamed and / or set upon by a mob! Telling the police would like as not be a waste of time too!

Sad but true ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

This happened some 15 years back. I had a mate here who while travelling on a Pattaya baht bus along Second Road saw a Thai guy hitting a woman. He stopped the bus and tried to intervene, only to be beaten up by the Thai guy, a group of motorcycle taxi riders and the woman!

Even knowing this, I think most guys would find it difficult not to get involved.

Edited by jesimps

On 4/17/2023 at 6:14 AM, bogs smith said:

i did initially. then she said mai pen ri,

i said are you sure? she said yes.then the thug started laughing like a child.

I have never been able to restrain myself from intervening in the past.

I have little confidence that I will restrain myself in the future.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thumbs Up 1