PM warns giveaway policies of some parties may be ‘bad karma’ for the country in the longer run

webfact

image.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan Ocha campaigned in Bangkok’s Chatuchak in recent days as he dismissed the apparent opinion poll leads of the opposition and warned of the danger of populist policies.

by Joseph O' Connor

Comments from the PM come as the Pheu Thai Party makes a further submission to the Election Commission which is continuing to probe the funding basis for its contentious ฿10,000 Digital Wallet policy.

Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan ocha has warned that giveaways and populist policies being advocated by some parties may result in ‘bad karma’ for the country in the long run based on previous experience. The government leader, campaigning in Bangkok, vowed to continue his campaign despite the latest NIDA opinion poll showing that the opposition Pheu Thai and Move Forward parties are coasting to victory in the May 14th General Election in just under four weeks from now.

The Thai Prime Minister has warned that populist policies being put forward in this election may result in what he called ‘bad karma’ for the country.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/04/18/pm-prayut-warns-giveaway-policies-may-be-bad-karma/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2023-04-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Comments from the PM come as the Pheu Thai Party makes a further submission to the Election Commission which is continuing to probe the funding basis for its contentious ฿10,000 Digital Wallet policy.

How about the 3M donation to another party, how's that investigation going?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Prime Minister has warned that populist policies being put forward in this election may result in what he called ‘bad karma’ for the country.

I'll stop corruption he promised... that was bad karma too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

with Mr Prayuth new elected it is not only bad karma, but it is the dead of a country

Prayuth is now 8 years in power....did you see any massive decline of Thailand in the last 8 years?
You can agree or disagree with his politics, you can think it may hinder Thailand but 4 more years is not "the dead of a country"

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

a) yes of course the opposition criticize the government, that is there job. Would be the Future Forward be in power Prayut would find 100 things they did wrong. State owned TV shows the opposition against government. Is also a good sign

b) Thailand lost some opportunities is not the dead of a country....Look at Sri Lanka or Myanmar or Haiti....that is the dead of a country, not loosing some position in the competitiveness index. Afterwards it always could have been done better Specially the Covid-19 management was not that great. But it is not the end of the country

• Sad 1

You and your wretched administration were the manifestation of horrific karma, inflicted upon the nation. Now, in your current state of desperation, you have reverted to saying anything, to maintain power. Nobody wants you. You failed. Get out now. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

You and your wretched administration were the manifestation of horrific karma, inflicted upon the nation. Now, in your current state of desperation, you have reverted to saying anything, to maintain power. Nobody wants you. You failed. Get out now. 

Polls looking really not good, but still 3rd strongest party with 13%.

1 hour ago, h90 said:

a) yes of course the opposition criticize the government, that is there job. Would be the Future Forward be in power Prayut would find 100 things they did wrong. State owned TV shows the opposition against government. Is also a good sign

b) Thailand lost some opportunities is not the dead of a country....Look at Sri Lanka or Myanmar or Haiti....that is the dead of a country, not loosing some position in the competitiveness index. Afterwards it always could have been done better Specially the Covid-19 management was not that great. But it is not the end of the country

Are they criticisms or facts?

People can survive for a long time with a terminal illness, but guess what, eventually…

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

If anyone knows about bad karma in politics, it's the Thai people who have had to endure Prayut as PM for (unofficially) eight straight years and wants four more years. Recycling military leadership in the Thai government will not change that karma. 

Yet, the good Thai population has been under the thumb of military governments for generations [even under faux civilian varieties] and has remained societally stable for the duration. 

From the looks of it, and particular prognostication forthcoming, we'll be witnessing another possible surface civilian government influenced by the usual shadowy/clandestine military twist. 

For those having dreamy hopes of removing a military bond to government and associated - I might suggest that one digs deeper into the reality of how the machinery operates. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Happy to hear for you that you like Prayuth, but the household debts were never so high, the tourist sector has difficulties to recover, as it wa sbroke down already before the Covid, the export because of the strong manipulated THB is declining, Traffic deaths were never so high, povertry is enormous, drought and floodings every year without solutions, higher corruption, and no freedom of speech and writing or tv broadcastings....All for the good karma Prayuth did for the country???  

All of which could've easily manifested under any such individual/government.......because they have. 

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Happy to hear for you that you like Prayuth, but the household debts were never so high, the tourist sector has difficulties to recover, as it wa sbroke down already before the Covid, the export because of the strong manipulated THB is declining, Traffic deaths were never so high, povertry is enormous, drought and floodings every year without solutions, higher corruption, and no freedom of speech and writing or tv broadcastings....All for the good karma Prayuth did for the country???  

I don't like Prayuth but I have seen much worse...Thaksin, Samak, Abhisit, Yingluck. I complete agree with the household debts. Tourism....yes that could also be done better. I don't see the problem with THB. droughts and floodings.....The worst floods I have seen...and two were with Yingluck. There are great solutions...plans in the shelf since the 1960s and no government did something. For the corruption I disagree I am not seeing that. For the freedom of speech I do agree. Unfortunately that is a worldwide problem and Thailand is rather on the bad side. And I admit a lot silly things, like a ban on online ordering of beer....what silly law is that....
But look at the others......I rather take the bad choice that I know already instead of some others which are most probably much worse.
In my opinion Prayut most of the time did just nothing and that is already the best I expect from a government.....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

13% poll is a disaster for an incumbent party that is well funded and has the government apparatus in provinces to influence the elction campaign. 

yes it is pretty much a disaster

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, h90 said:

Prayuth is now 8 years in power....did you see any massive decline of Thailand in the last 8 years?
You can agree or disagree with his politics, you can think it may hinder Thailand but 4 more years is not "the dead of a country"

Yes, I have seen a decline.

Are you serious?

Asking for a friend.

37 minutes ago, h90 said:

In my opinion Prayut most of the time did just nothing and that is already the best I expect from a government.....

I expect from a Government to make things better for the country, its people and visitors except doing nothing but filling their pockets and of their families....I know everwhere the same, but here it is only for a few unelected greedy people

6 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I expect from a Government to make things better for the country, its people and visitors except doing nothing but filling their pockets and of their families....I know everwhere the same, but here it is only for a few unelected greedy people

I am already OK if they don't make things worse.....but I am cynical

13 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Yes, I have seen a decline.

Are you serious?

Asking for a friend.

I did not see a decline (beside with Covid), but I don't see any improvement as well.

3 hours ago, h90 said:

Polls looking really not good, but still 3rd strongest party with 13%.

The way he has rigged the electoral process 13% of the vote plus the support of his hand picked, unelected 250 senators could see Prayut become the next PM.

• Like 1

Just now, edwinchester said:

The way he has rigged the electoral process 13% of the vote plus the support of his hand picked, unelected 250 senators could see Prayut become the next PM.

I guess they senators will have it difficult to explain if they vote for a small party. In the last elections he got the most votes so they could justify it. And I could not imagine a coalition when he really only get 13%

• Like 1