Tourist arrival ‘tax’ postponed, foreign arrivals drop

webfact

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:
2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

OK, then how are they arriving at the tourist numbers at all? Are they pulled out of a hat?

I guess, arrivals minus Thai citizens.

And which arrivals are expats, which are tourists? The tax is supposed to apply to one and not the other.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And you seem to have misunderstood that the airlines have said they cannot add it to fares as who pays the tax depends on what status the passenger has in Thailand. That is the entire point of the article, which appears to have passed you by. 

Indeed. Just went back for a look. I definetly got a bit muddled up. Cheers. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

Where did you get the figure of Cambodia getting 16 million tourists over Songkran ?

It can't possibly be foreign tourists as Cambodia only managed to attract 6.6 million in total for the whole of 2019.

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/cambodia-serves-over-13-million-tourists-during-traditional-new-year-holidays/251736.vnp

You are correct, that was
including domestic tourists as well. Didn't read it carefully enough.

58 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You are not supposed to ask awkward questions. Any Thai knows that almost from birth. You must just accept whatever you are told, like a Thai. Behave yourself!

Awkward for them, maybe. Not for me. They don't want to face truth and reality, it is entirely on them. I will ask away, until I get an answer. Where I come from, truth is not considered something to avoid, or hide from. 

Edited by spidermike007

3 hours ago, JCauto said:

Cambodia and Laos were chockers this Songkran. Seems the tourists are discovering the neighbouring countries finally. 

If I've learned anything about Thai economics, the solution to the reduction in tourist numbers will be to double or triple the entry fee to make up the lost revenue.

They dumped 45 ve. Should have kept it.

3 hours ago, JCauto said:

Cambodia is no longer a war-torn craphole and has quite nice infrastructure all over the place nowadays, and Laos is on the way as well. Cambodia got 16 million tourists over Songkran

True, it's no longer war -torn. The rest, we can argue.

16 million tourists over Songkran? Can we have some sources?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thailand has to realise that foreign tourists are a valuable source of income. Immigration does not reflect this as they are very unfriendly and are help bent on extracting even minimal amounts by ridgedly enforcing the rules for which they have discretion for instance I was marched  to a room and fined for an overstay of 8 hours because my flight had be cancelled. No one asked if there was a reason for the overstay just plain unfriendly treated like a criminal

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Surprising how many posters suggest Immigration should be the arbiters of who should be charged this fee on arrival. You seriously want IOs deciding who should pay them 300 baht? (and what happens when I tell IO I won't pay?)

Don't forget there is already an iniquitous 700 baht "passenger service" charge (from memory, only for air arrivals) that has clearly not been spent on anything remotely like passenger services.

Globally, more and more places are imposing these sh**ty extra charges where they can, just BECAUSE they can. TH certain not to want to be left behind.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the minister, the airlines have stated that they cannot differentiate between foreign tourists, Thais, and expatriates, and therefore, all passengers must be treated equally. The Minister had earlier said that locals and expats with a valid work permit would be exempt from the tax.

I'm not surprised that airlines don't want to be drawn into this. And neither should the Thai officials who cooked up this brilliant scheme be surprised. Fail.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well what a surprise! TIT. Looks like no consultation with airlines before announcing this tax, then giving a date for the start.  Hoping that the airlines would bear the costs of collection and that for tourists it would be hidden amongst all the other add ons to the base ticket price.Then the airlines quite understandably say they can't differentiate. And for expats it's nuanced anyway, only if you are working. The airlines would need to do any differentiation at the point of sale of the ticket requiring special algorithms and uploading of documents I would think. Just for Thailand. Of course it CAN be done but would surely add to costs. 

Meanwhile the powers that be know ( or perhaps not! ) that attempting to charge on arrival would be very upfront, produce chaos, additional delay to clear entry and so very disgruntled arrivals. If those arrivals start posting adverse comments that would be very bad for business.

Thailand could I guess reintroduce the Thailand Pass, requiring pre registration and payment of the tax. It wasn't exactly popular during Covid. Now? I don't think so. The straw that breaks the camels back? Why bother, let's go some else. Costly for the powers that be too to run the system.

• Like 1

The slimy rent seekers could do this very fairly and transparently but it's clearly another "caper" to fleece all non thais, and the airlines see it as such. 

How to do it fairly is all visitors after immigration, pay B300 in any denomination at a government booth, THEN they immediately get a small stamp in their passport which is their HEALTH INSURANCE RECEIPT for the time they are in Thailand.

They could also just do it online before arrival. 

But don't hold your breath!

20 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

Flights are still much higher than pre-Covid so that may be taking its toll on numbers.

I had to pay tourism tax in Rome and Vienna and it was collected by the hotel on check in.

That must be new. I didn't in 2017.

I notice Korea and Indonesia now slugging people for serious money, $50 and up, before the flight, even just to transit landside for a hotel sleep. 

Edited by chalawaan