Thailand sounds alarm as Arcturus strain arrives just in time for Songkran

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand is once again on the defensive against COVID-19 after laboratory tests showed that the new, more contagious subvariant XBB.1.16 has landed on these shores.

Dr Supakit Sirilak, director-general of the Medical Sciences Department, reported that 27 cases of XBB.1.16 had been detected in Thailand as of April 17 and one of these had died.

“The deceased was an elderly foreigner with underlying health conditions. His death, therefore, may not directly reflect the severity of this subvariant but rather its impact on other risk factors,” Supakit said.

Health authorities have raised the alarm about XBB.1.16 and urged the public to keep their guard up. But they said there is no need to panic.

Threat of XBB.1.16

XBB.1.16, also known as Arcturus, is a subvariant of the Omicron bug that swept across the world last year. On March 22, the World Health Organization (WHO) listed XBB.1.16 as a variant under monitoring (VUM).

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-sounds-alarm-as-arcturus-strain-arrives-just-in-time-for-songkran/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, markclover said:

So where did this one come from?  A wet market in Russia?

Intertesting comment as a US senate investigation paper just released is saying that the covid origin may have come from an infected palm civit illegally sold to a wet market as meat from someone in the Wuhan institute. Interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Dr. Nitipatana Chierakul, Head of the Respiratory Disease and Tuberculosis Division at the Faculty of Medicine in Siriraj Hospital should be immediately arrested and changed with panic mongering. And his license to practice medicine should be permanently revoked. This is outrageous and highly irresponsible behavior. 

There is nothing scientific to point towards such a surge. This is likely based on an insane estimate of some sort. 

Lock up the doc. 

While I would want the same. Think of the consequences if someone has the power to lock a doc up because he don't like the docs opinion.....That would be far worse.
But maybe someone could look at his bank account and look how he earned how much money.....if I quadruple my income during a pandemic, I would not want it to end as well.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Dr. Nitipatana Chierakul, Head of the Respiratory Disease and Tuberculosis Division at the Faculty of Medicine in Siriraj Hospital should be immediately arrested and changed with panic mongering. And his license to practice medicine should be permanently revoked. This is outrageous and highly irresponsible behavior. 

There is nothing scientific to point towards such a surge. This is likely based on an insane estimate of some sort. 

Lock up the doc. 

Nobody is going to panic at this news, it's simply not going to happen.

10k cases a day is nothing in a country this size.

• Like 1

lets shut down all Airports , border crossings , all schools , all businesses and achieve Zero covid deaths..... China did it successfully so why cant Thailand!!

ohh... in the meantime , lets not worry about road deaths , Amulets are good enough to save the ones who buddha desires.

3 hours ago, Enzian said:

I'm all for over-reaction, I loved the Nana station area during Covid, it was like my own private little fiefdom, nobody on the sidewalks, and the massage ladies were so eager...

Good points. Keep it going for 10 years. Scares off tourists. These strains will be around for ever in some form.