Thailand’s Som Tam voted 6th best salad in the world

snoop1130

10 hours ago, ozimoron said:

the customers to choose the variety they prefer and adjust the ingredients to their preference

I find it very salty. I'm going to ask my local som tum stand to leave out the sugar and fish sauce.

Just order something else then or just keep walking.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Northeast Thailand’s “som tam,” aka spicy papaya salad, was voted sixth best salad in the world by online food guide TasteAtlas. Another Thai dish, phla kung, also won accolades, coming in ninth place.

Very subjective....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Som Tam's dependence on Fish sauce and sugar make it a no no for me.

Notwithstanding the danger in adding sugar to any dish. (Look at the village clinics diabetes days). Liver cancer has been noted as a risk in eating this salad but there's another risk of cancer in the other Issan staple i.e. Snakehead fish and sticky rice where the family sit around, grab rice and then scrape the scales and exposed flesh with the sticky rice. Within the scales of these (not properly cooked) fish live the fluke worm which can attach to the kidneys leading to cancer.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, RT555 said:

Just order something else then or just keep walking.

Lol. Why?

Do we have another offended Thai wannabe white knight on his high horse defending the purity of the papaya salad recipe??

So, he likes it without sugar or fermented fish water.

So what?

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

Som Tam's dependence on Fish sauce and sugar make it a no no for me.

Notwithstanding the danger in adding sugar to any dish. (Look at the village clinics diabetes days). Liver cancer has been noted as a risk in eating this salad but there's another risk of cancer in the other Issan staple i.e. Snakehead fish and sticky rice where the family sit around, grab rice and then scrape the scales and exposed flesh with the sticky rice. Within the scales of these (not properly cooked) fish live the fluke worm which can attach to the kidneys leading to cancer.

Snake head fish is delicious. Not sure about the liver fluke danger though as its cooked. 

snake head fish.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bananafish said:

I'm not vegetarian, but I only prefer som tam made vegetarian style. And not unbearably spicy. 

Apart from this...

pickled fish or fermented fish / traditional thai food style raw preserved  fish name in thai Pla-ra Stock Photo - Alamy

and this....

https://www.crabdatabase.info/data/original/brachyura/eubrachyura/heterotremata/gecarcinucoidea/gecarcinucidae/sayamia/sayamia-bangkokensis/live/sayamia-20bangkokensis-jpg.jpg

som tam is vegetarian. Now som tam thai if you took the dried krill out wiith no pla ra it would be 100% vegetarian. Dried krill is...

Prasae Rayong Thailand krill fishing – Thailand Discovery

I like Som Tam, but i tend to avoid eating it on a regualr basis due to the high amount of sugar they use. Once a week is fine as i don't drink any fizzy drinks & rarely eat anyhting sweet.  My go to is Larb. Far more healthy & delicious IMO.

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

......and number one to put you in the toilet for 24 hours after

Very rare for me especially since som tum thai doesn't have the paddy crab. If Thai food ever sends me to the toilet it's only ever once and then things are back to normal.

• Like 2