Couple leaves taps, gas and lights on in Airbnb as they get revenge on host

ChipButty

A couple staying at an Airbnb in South Korea got their own back after their host allegedly refused to cancel the booking – having left taps running and the gas on for almost a month, in turn racking up HUGE bills.

The unnamed couple had booked the house in Seoul for 25 days and paid in full beforehand.

However, they hadn’t checked where the property was located, and instantly got buyers’ regret.

https://bit.ly/3KMM5d6 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, connda said:

Something to remember after you clean your apartment and leave it like new - and your landlord still takes your deposit?  ????

That doesn't happen with Airbnb the guest has paid in full before arrival, When I lived in Bangkok I got my deposit back, no problem

• Like 1

I used to rent apartments through airbnb, but always waved the guests off.

Also welcomed them and if necessary I picked them up from the train or bus stop.

However to be honestly, it happened to me once that guests moved in after cleaning, I myself had not checked the place, and when checking out I was commented that massage oil had been left behind.....

Well gas could blow up the neighborhood surely ??? I’ve been in badly located places with a few bookings, not Airbnb. Sometimes hard to see where the hotel/ condo is really. I put it down to bad luck., next time I’ll be smack in the center of town ! 

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

Well gas could blow up the neighborhood surely ??? I’ve been in badly located places with a few bookings, not Airbnb. Sometimes hard to see where the hotel/ condo is really. I put it down to bad luck., next time I’ll be smack in the center of town ! 

Airbnb dont give you the exact location until you have booked, 

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Really? Why would anyone book a place without knowing its location?

Hotel booking sites used to have big discounts without exact location but I figured a way to find out. Paying up front for a month is not clever. Pay 2 nights at a time.

13 hours ago, geisha said:

Hopefully they left the gas burning.

7 hours ago, bignok said:

Hotel booking sites used to have big discounts without exact location but I figured a way to find out. Paying up front for a month is not clever. Pay 2 nights at a time.

Can't always only pay 2 nights at a time. I stayed at a place in Pattaya on a couple of days down and the owner ( a Brit, not a Thai ) gave the receptionist an earful for it. Luckily I was already leaving, or I would have.

I did normally pay a week in advance on second day if I liked the place, but got caught on Thong Nai Pan Yai when the first night was peaceful and every night after was ruined by a party bar on the beach. Was refused a refund but I left anyway, even if I lost a few days payment, as couldn't sleep for the racket.

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Really? Why would anyone book a place without knowing its location?

I’ve never used Airbnb, and usually book hotels that are well known with good locations. Easy to check distance hotel to city center/ beach name etc online maps. But, you could be in a very noisy neighborhood for example , or on a main road , that, the hotel/ condo isn’t going to tell you. Or the place isn’t up to standard. That’s why I stick to more well known hotels despite the higher costs. Booking in advance once in Old Ceylon had me in a hotel in the middle of a bloody jungle with nothing around so only suitable  for people driving which I was not !! I was out the next morning . ( near Kandy).  Or one of the best hotel in Canton , no heating and no hot water, winter !!! 

1 hour ago, geisha said:

I’ve never used Airbnb, and usually book hotels that are well known with good locations. Easy to check distance hotel to city center/ beach name etc online maps. But, you could be in a very noisy neighborhood for example , or on a main road , that, the hotel/ condo isn’t going to tell you. Or the place isn’t up to standard. That’s why I stick to more well known hotels despite the higher costs. Booking in advance once in Old Ceylon had me in a hotel in the middle of a bloody jungle with nothing around so only suitable  for people driving which I was not !! I was out the next morning . ( near Kandy).  Or one of the best hotel in Canton , no heating and no hot water, winter !!! 

One could always check comments on Trip Advisor, of course. Which I always, always do.

20 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I always leave my apartment like "new", but if they refuse to return the deposit, I leave on the aircon full power to minimise their profit.

Surely you would have left the apartment before the deposit was due to be refunded how would be be able to leave the aircon on to minimise the profit?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Surely you would have left the apartment before the deposit was due to be refunded how would be be able to leave the aircon on to minimise the profit?

Thats what I thought, my deposit was paid 1 month after, 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't always only pay 2 nights at a time. I stayed at a place in Pattaya on a couple of days down and the owner ( a Brit, not a Thai ) gave the receptionist an earful for it. Luckily I was already leaving, or I would have.

I did normally pay a week in advance on second day if I liked the place, but got caught on Thong Nai Pan Yai when the first night was peaceful and every night after was ruined by a party bar on the beach. Was refused a refund but I left anyway, even if I lost a few days payment, as couldn't sleep for the racket.

Depends how busy it is. Most places easy to pay 2n at a time. Of course they won't hold the room for a week though. So many hotels in major towns, easy to find a budget hotel.

On 4/22/2023 at 3:06 PM, bignok said:

Depends how busy it is. Most places easy to pay 2n at a time. Of course they won't hold the room for a week though. So many hotels in major towns, easy to find a budget hotel.

Given I've probably stayed in over a thousand places in LOS over my years there, I think I know how it works.

Normally only paid one night and looked around to see if anything better. If not paid a few nights in advance.

However, not all places accepted that.

That worked for me in Penang when I only paid for one night and couldn't sleep because of the Chinese street theatre right across the road.

Always carried ear plugs after that event.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Given I've probably stayed in over a thousand places in LOS over my years there, I think I know how it works.

Normally only paid one night and looked around to see if anything better. If not paid a few nights in advance.

However, not all places accepted that.

That worked for me in Penang when I only paid for one night and couldn't sleep because of the Chinese street theatre right across the road.

Always carried ear plugs after that event.

Why would you have to pay for 3 or more nights? Maybe Xmas or NYE or fmp on KPN but otherwise any hotel allows 1 night at a time.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Why would you have to pay for 3 or more nights? Maybe Xmas or NYE or fmp on KPN but otherwise any hotel allows 1 night at a time.

On Airbnb the host can select the minimum nights stay, Don't forget most Airbnb's are not hotels so one nights stays can be difficult to turn over, also more cleaning and laundry, I think 3 nights is about average 

On 4/21/2023 at 3:57 PM, geisha said:

I think the smart thing to do is leave the gas burners actually burning, which is perfectly safe if nothing flammable is nearby. ???? If you don't want to be surprised by poor locations, read reviews!