Thailand notches highest temperature on record as 'monster' heat wave roasts Southeast Asia

snoop1130

6 hours ago, still kicking said:

Remote? Are you kidding me?

Around four out of five Australians lived within 50kms from the coast in 1996 according to the latest estimates from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

You watching to many Crocodile Dundee movies 

I've taken the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth.I must say it travelled through a lot of remote areas IMHO. Very good meals were served. I've also taken the rail trip across Canada Halifax NS to Vancouver BC . That trip took 4-5 days as I recall.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Mainland Australians would argue all Tasmanians can attend a football match on a family ticket.

Heat cells are nothing new in Australia, there have been several massive ones in the centre over the past decade. IMO Thailand is simply seeing the first of them.

Nothing beats a good family reunion in Tassie! 

6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I think @spidermike007 means remote from rest of the world. In SE Asia there are about a dozen countries to visit within 4 hours flying time of Bangkok.  How many countries are within 4 hours of main cities in Australia?

Interesting comment considering it takes 5 hours to fly from one side of the country to the other and about 4.5 hrs from top to bottom.

9 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Monster electric bills. 

My latest bill 2 days ago was almost the same as it was for the same period in 2021 and less than the following period.

On the basis of bills the temperature is going to keep on rising.

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Spoke to my GF in Chonburi today and she was quoting figures of 54c. It seems that the climate brigade have jumped on the "real feel" or "feels like" figure rather than the actual figure. Last week I was in Bangkok when they said it was over 50c but the actual temperature was 38c. Sure it was scorching, but why are they now seizing on the higher figures? What's their agenda on this?

What is the "climate brigade"?

The "agenda" is the effect of temps and humidity on the ability of the human body to stay below temperatures leading to death, hence the "real feel" reporting.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bignok said:

Averages for Thailand are exactly that.

In the 15 years I have lived here I don't think the temperature has ever dropped below 17 degrees, the same cannot be said for those in the north.

When I first came here we would be without rain from late November till at least April and one year till June. Since 2016 we have not gone through the dry season without rain at some stage. Being self sufficient with water it is something you take note of, can be a bit galling when Pattaya gets flooded and we haven't had a drop.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Averages for Thailand are exactly that.

In the 15 years I have lived here I don't think the temperature has ever dropped below 17 degrees, the same cannot be said for those in the north.

When I first came here we would be without rain from late November till at least April and one year till June. Since 2016 we have not gone through the dry season without rain at some stage. Being self sufficient with water it is something you take note of, can be a bit galling when Pattaya gets flooded and we haven't had a drop.

Life. I don't even worry about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Spoke to my GF in Chonburi today and she was quoting figures of 54c. It seems that the climate brigade have jumped on the "real feel" or "feels like" figure rather than the actual figure. Last week I was in Bangkok when they said it was over 50c but the actual temperature was 38c. Sure it was scorching, but why are they now seizing on the higher figures? What's their agenda on this?

I've measured 57 in direct sunlight. Which is what we are subject to for much of the time we go out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Climate change is not a cult, it's based on evidence and science. The laws of thermodynamics at work, and no-one has ever disproved them.

If anything is a cult, it's people on social media with a primary school education, who somehow think they know better than scientists who have spent years of training in their various disciplines.

Your claims are also incorrect. The 2nd law has been broken.

https://www.nature.com/articles/news020722-2#:~:text=Researchers have shown for the,second law of thermodynamics1.

10 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

33°C in Pattaya, feels like a swedish sauna.

I'm from Finland.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

April/May is historically the hottest month throughout Thailand. There may be some local exceptions, but generally these 2 months are at the top for most/all regions.  

That's because the sun is directly overhead in April - May. The actual day when the sun is 90 degrees overhead:

1. Chiang Mai: May 14

2. Bangkok: April 26

3. Pattaya: April 24

4. Phuket: April 10

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

That's because the sun is directly overhead in April - May. The actual day where the sun is 90 degrees overhead:

1. Chiang Mai: May 14

2. Bangkok: April 26

3. Pattaya: April 24

4. Phuket: April 10

Good research. Yes always found it better after May 20 and March ok. Songkran time or thereabouts always very hot and your dates show that.

From about May 20 to November 20 is the best time for a number of factors - less smoke, less heat, less tourists, cheaper hotels.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bignok said:
5 hours ago, Credo said:

It's not an agenda, the 'feels like' index is important for people who have to be outside for extended periods of time.  It's the same with the other end of the scale where wind chill gives a better idea of how dangerous cold can be.   

Who decides how it feels like? If you ask a muay thai fighter mai pen rai. Ask a whinging farang it feels like 55.

Its not a decision and has nothing to do with ‘acclimatisation’ - the reported ‘feels like’ figure is actually the ‘Heat Index’ which is based of factual information (Temp vs Humidity). 

https://www.toppr.com/guides/physics-formulas/heat-index-formula/

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 11.50.40.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not a decision and has nothing to do with ‘acclimatisation’ - the reported ‘feels like’ figure is actually the ‘Heat Index’ which is based of factual information (Temp vs Humidity). 

https://www.toppr.com/guides/physics-formulas/heat-index-formula/

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 11.50.40.png

I've experienced temperatures of 43. It only felt like 50 to me. To an old lady maybe it feels like 65.

Edited by bignok
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Cold showers? LOL. The cold showers warm me up at the moment. The only way is to put water in a drum with ice and use a scoop.

Run the tap for 60 seconds until it cools down. Pipes heat up.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

....they said it was over 50c but the actual temperature was 38c. Sure it was scorching, but why are they now seizing on the higher figures? What's their agenda on this?

No agenda, it is science and has to do with your body and its ability to cool itself. Feels like temperature factors in the humidity...here is an explanation from the web.

"If the sweat on our skin is not able to evaporate, then it becomes more difficult for our body to cool itself. So, if your body can't cool like it normally would through sweating, a relatively cooler temperature will have the same effect on the body as if the temperature were actually hotter".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Skallywag said:

No agenda, it is science and has to do with your body and its ability to cool itself. Feels like temperature factors in the humidity...here is an explanation from the web.

"If the sweat on our skin is not able to evaporate, then it becomes more difficult for our body to cool itself. So, if your body can't cool like it normally would through sweating, a relatively cooler temperature will have the same effect on the body as if the temperature were actually hotter".

Exactly: While human body cells start to die anywhere 46-60 degrees, temperatures of around 50 degrees is when most irreversible damage to cells.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Exactly: While human body cells start to die anywhere 46-60 degrees, temperatures of around 50 degrees is when most irreversible damage to cells.

They have aircon in Thailand. They have fridges, freezers and ice. It would have been much worse in 1930.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1