Netflix Sued for Depicting Cleopatra as Black

onthedarkside

16 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Can't you see they are just pandering to the black community?

How can you make a show about a historical figure and change her race?

Might as well change her gender, nationality, and every else

Next thing you know, they'll have her speaking English instead of Greek or Egyptian. Nah...they wouldn't go that far because that would be truly unbelievable.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sooo, IMO the Black and White minstrel show had to be cancelled for using white men playing black men, but it's OK for black people to play actual historical not black people- that's confusing!

The black and white minstrel show was not cancelled because white men played black men. I'm not surprised you're confused. Actually, I know you're not confused at all, you're trolling.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, transam said:

Forget your obligatory 'trolling comment', which I am surprised you don't get pulled for it.

But perhaps you can tell us why the Black & White Minstrel Show was axed.

Perhaps also why Robertson's Jam removed us kids Golliwogs from the jars..............????

Off topic

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, proton said:

Neither was true, Cleopatra 7th was a direct descendent of Ptolemy Alexander the greats general who ruled Egypt after his death. There is no evidence of even any Egyptian forebears never mind black. Afro centrics sometimes claim her grandmother was Egyptian but there is no proof. You only have to look at her image on coins to see there are no black features, likewise on the few surviving busts and on temple walls like at Dendera. Just another pathetic attempt to shoehorn blacks into a history which does not belong to them, but wear corn row and they scream cultural appropriation 

I know about it, That's why I wrote "unlikely".

By early periods I meant around 2000+ years before Cleopatra.

Just now, ozimoron said:

Do I need to spell out the answer for you to be convinced? You're intent on deflection from the topic.

Oh really, not you calling a member a troll for nothing then......................?   :huh:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Myran said:

While I get where you're coming from, the one who made this about race is the person who's making this movie, Jada Smith.

"We don’t often get to see or hear stories about black queens, and that was really important for me, as well as for my daughter, and just for my community to be able to know those stories because there are tons of them!" – Jada Smith.

He was just leveling up the playing field. He was entitled to select any actress of any race for the part simply because it was irrelevant.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

Thanks to 21st century movies I am learning that there were a lot more Black folks in 19th century Britain than I would have guessed, and a lot more upper-class intermarrying with them too (...)

I remember a TV series a couple years ago about life and independence struggle in 13th-century rural Wales, with lots of characters played by black actors. How such a larger number of Africans (or by the looks African-Americans) got to Wales in the 13th century, living and acting like any other Welsh peasants, who knows...

Maybe just a reflection what Hollywood filmmakers know about the rest of the world.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Myran said:

Read and understand what I write if you're going to reply. Jada Smith is a woman and is making the claim that Cleopatra the historical figure was black, which the evidence points against. That's the issue, not necessarily that a black actress was chosen.

Do you have a link to her claiming that Cleopatra was black? I again assert that her casting choice was about equal opportunity in the industry and nothing more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, proton said:

There is no DNA evidence that early Pharaoh's were black Africans. The claim comes from much later around 700 BC when the Kush 'empire' invaded and ruled a weakened Egypt. They had nothing to do with ancient Egypt they were merely colonisers for a time. 

Does Cleopatra look black?

Screenshot 2566-04-23 at 13.07.18.png

Again, I never claimed Cleopatra was black.

7 minutes ago, candide said:

Again, I never claimed Cleopatra was black.

I never suggested you did, but you did suggest it was very possible early Pharaoh's were black, there is no evidence to show that is true

• Like 1