Multiple entry Retirement Visa clarification

Just want to be absolutely clear, my mom has a shiny new retirement visa with multiple entry, this means she can just come and go as she pleases for the next year?  She doesn't have to fill out a form or apply for or pay for anything each time she leaves to keep her visa?  Thankyou

13 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

my mom has a shiny new retirement visa with multiple entry, this means she can just come and go as she pleases for the next year

Out of interest, where did she obtain the ME Non O retirement visa?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Nope.  Just make sure she doesn't stay over 90 days each entry and if she makes her last entry close to the expiry of the visa she'll effectively get nearly 15 months out of it.

Sorry to be pedantic but she can stay over 90 days if she likes. She just needs to do the 90 day report.

On another note, your last statement is interesting. Let’s say that my “extension’ on my non-O based on retirement expires on 30th April. Are you saying that if I exit Thailand before that and re-enter on 29th April, I will only need to do my new annual extension sometime in July? I have been on non-O for over 17 years and never thought of doing this (not that it really matters from a financial perspective).

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Sorry to be pedantic but she can stay over 90 days if she likes. She just needs to do the 90 day report.

On another note, your last statement is interesting. Let’s say that my “extension’ on my non-O based on retirement expires on 30th April. Are you saying that if I exit Thailand before that and re-enter on 29th April, I will only need to do my new annual extension sometime in July? I have been on non-O for over 17 years and never thought of doing this (not that it really matters from a financial perspective).

If you are on a non O and you leave the country, with a re-entry permit you will only be stamped in until the date of your present extension

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, flexomike said:

If you are on a non O and you leave the country, with a re-entry permit you will only be stamped in until the date of your present extension

That’s what I thought so I was a bit confused about the extra 3 months extension. Still am lol

Just now, Gweiloman said:

That’s what I thought so I was a bit confused about the extra 3 months extension. Still am lol

The additionsl 90 days is for people with a still valud multi-entry non-O visa. Not an extension of stay. 

We really do not know what OP's mother has. 

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is important to be totally clear and exact about what your mother actually possesses. A multiple entry Non O visa (only available from a few embassies/consulates) allows unlimited entries into Thailand until the expiry date of the visa. Each entry is for a period of 90 days. A Non O-A (long stay) is also multiple entry, allowing unlimited entries until the expiry date of the visa. However, it allows a full one-year stay each time from the date of entry. Neither of the above requires anything but the visa to enter.  There are other kinds of visas, that might also be called retirement visas, that have their own conditions. If your mother received a Non O visa and one-year extension of stay from an immigration office in Thailand, the rules are different.

BritTim is spot on. 

I doubt that your mother actually got a Multiple Entry Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, as there are only a couple of consulates/embassies where you can get such Visa.

Your mother might have applied in her home-country for a Non Imm O-A Visa (sometimes also referred to as a 'retirement' Visa), which is Multiple Entry and allows unlimited entry to Thailand during the Visa validity period (each time being stamped in for 12 months or the expiry date of the Health Insurance policy that such Visa requires);

But I actually presume that your mother applied for a 1-year extension of her Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at her local Imm Office, and bought a 1 Year Re-Entry Permit at that same office to protect the permission to stay when exciting and re-entering Thailand during the extension's validity period. 

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

The O-A is normally issued for retirement.  This allows a one year stay from entry date.  If multi entry it allows exit/returns up to that original entry one year permitted to stay date (date does not change).  It also has medical insurance requirements.

5.1  Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/non-immigrant-visa-o-a?menu=5e1ff71bc4281a00c812e8e2

Ok wow didnt realise there wasnt just a common retirement visa everyone gets.  She got the non immigrant visa that gave her the 3 months to get started then the year.  She applied in Thailand.  I was under the impression that that meant her visa expires in 2024 and all she has to do is the 3 month reports.  And that she could leave and come back as many times as she wishes during this time and it doesnt affect her expiry of 2024 since she got the multiple entry option.  

2 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Ok wow didnt realise there wasnt just a common retirement visa everyone gets.  She got the non immigrant visa that gave her the 3 months to get started then the year.  She applied in Thailand.  I was under the impression that that meant her visa expires in 2024 and all she has to do is the 3 month reports.  And that she could leave and come back as many times as she wishes during this time and it doesnt affect her expiry of 2024 since she got the multiple entry option.  

She does not have a visa - she has a one year extension of stay from a non immigrant O conversion (if all done in Thailand).  She can not leave Thailand without a re-entry permit (maybe she obtained multi entry type at time of extension?).  Indeed with a re-entry permit the extension of stay date will not change.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

She does not have a visa - she has a one year extension of stay from a non immigrant O conversion (if all done in Thailand).  She can not leave Thailand without a re-entry permit (maybe she obtained multi entry type at time of extension?).  Indeed with a re-entry permit the extension of stay date will not change.

Yes her stamp says multiple entry, she got it when she got the 1 year extension.  So to be clear with her multiple entry stamp... she does not need to do anything to leave and come back correct?

So my language is incorrect?  This is NOT a visa?  Its just a.... retirement extension?  lol

Edited by TheLaughingMan

3 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

You confirmed that your mother actually received a 1-year extension of her Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at her local Imm Office, and bought a Multiple Entry Re-Entry Permit [3.800,- THB] at that same office to protect the permission to stay when exciting and re-entering Thailand during the extension's validity period. 

She needs to:

- Ensure that the funds on her personal Thai bank-account never slip under the 800K tresshold during the first 3 months of her 1-year extension, then she is allowed to lower it to +400K but never going under that amount, and she has to top up again to +800K in the last 2 months before she applies for her next 1-year extension;

- Do 90-day reports whenever she stays 90 consecutive days in Thailand; when she exits Thailand the 90-day clock starts from moment of re-entry.  

3 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

You confirmed that your mother actually received a 1-year extension of her Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at her local Imm Office, and bought a Multiple Entry Re-Entry Permit [3.800,- THB] at that same office to protect the permission to stay when exciting and re-entering Thailand during the extension's validity period. 

She needs to:

- Ensure that the funds on her personal Thai bank-account never slip under the 800K tresshold during the first 3 months of her 1-year extension, then she is allowed to lower it to +400K but never going under that amount, and she has to top up again to +800K in the last 2 months before she applies for her next 1-year extension;

- Do 90-day reports whenever she stays 90 consecutive days in Thailand; when she exits Thailand the 90-day clock starts from moment of re-entry.  

ok great thats very important, didnt realise the clock restarted with every entry, which makes sense.  Thats makes it even easier if she travels alot, she may never have to report.

21 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Thats makes it even easier if she travels alot, she may never have to report

TM47 reporting can now be done online and the system works well.

Indeed for frequent travellers your point is correct.

In fact my first 7 years I never did one 90 day report.

Wasn't until covid I started with the reporting. 

1 minute ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Isnt it, she MUST leave the country every 3 months? She doesnt  have to do report, but LEAVE the country to get back in for another 3 months, border runs. 

No.  Not now it has been clarified that she has an extension, not a visa.

47 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Isnt it, she MUST leave the country every 3 months? She doesnt  have to do report, but LEAVE the country to get back in for another 3 months, border runs. 

This thread is a good example where the OP started a thread and same as Elvis left the building.

The status of the mother was confusing due to misuse of terminology. 

Ends up she had an extension based on retirement from a Non O (90 day visa) together with a reentry permit.

Completely different animal to a ME Non O retirement (visa valid for a year) 

If OP, at the very least hang around for short period then confusion can be sorted. 

7 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Ok wow didnt realise there wasnt just a common retirement visa everyone gets.  She got the non immigrant visa that gave her the 3 months to get started then the year.  She applied in Thailand...

It would have been useful if you had posted this at the very beginning or even better posted a copy of the stamp you were talking about.

• Thumbs Up 2