Girlfriend of Australian tourist found dead in Thai police custody suspects foul play

webfact

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Sounds like he should indeed have been left alone. Being drunk and accosting other people is no reason for any body to class him as a suicide case or reason to have somebody keep him company

I'm thinking they had some sort of row on the phone , maybe she dumped him ? "you'll never see your kid again,in fact it's not even your kid "       That might send somebody over the edge if he was intoxicated and that way inclined.  Who knows ?

Wow! You've even provided your own clear-cut narrative for the whole incident. Clever boy...................

Any responsible police force (yes I know) would not leave a drunk in a cell without checking on them regularly.  Also they would take away all items that could be used to hang oneself.  Standard procedure for a responsible police force.  Please not I do not class the Thai police as responsible!

Of course we only have their word for how he died, so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I meant for wrong doing by the police, he was just a drunk who needed a few more tattoos.

Sorry I misunderstood who's motive you were referring to.  My theory (s) regarding the police's motive ...possibly they were a bit over enthusiastic when restraining him (its not difficult to suffocate somebody if sitting on them whilst they are face down on the floor)  or maybe as I speculated in an earlier post he knocked out a senior officer in front of his subordinates causing monumental loss of face and they got a bit carried away with the retaliation.

Either way a suicide is a convenient way out for those involved. 

The CCTV should help clarify if it was indeed suicide

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

???? Rather odd he is alone in ????????  boys golfing trip or snorkelling trip in a soapy  massage ????

Full tatts be interested to know what he did for a living in Newcastle as i spend 4 months a yr in Newcastle  he  looks  a tad shady to me  and pissed at 5 am and  annoying people go figure 

But they icing on the cake the BIB go out for lunch they love eating dont they ????  just leave the place unattended wtf 

6 minutes ago, beckenhamsteve said:

Any responsible police force (yes I know) would not leave a drunk in a cell without checking on them regularly.  Also they would take away all items that could be used to hang oneself.  Standard procedure for a responsible police force.  Please not I do not class the Thai police as responsible!

Of course we only have their word for how he died, so far.

Oh but the Thai police are very responsible, they are responsible for some  things that you cannot even imagine

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Much more to this than meets the eye  "Normal" people do not just get drunk and become suicidal, generally speaking

Most people are not "Normal".  If someone is not depressed or does not suffer from depression, getting drunk will not make them suicidal... however, if someone is depressed and does suffer from depression, alcohol can make it worse and the result could be suicidal.  Some of what was quoted... I did get the impression that he could have been (I cannot point to specifics, just the feeling I got when piecing together it)... that said... it is just as likely (or more) it could be jailhouse negligence (and associated cover up) or malfeasance that could have lead to his death.  That said, I think we have wait for what should be an independent autopsy and viewing of the video.  The police unfortunately do not have a good record with honest professional ethical behaviour here in Thailand.  (not saying all, but way too many and the system itself is corrupting)

Maybe some of our Ex Police members on here could tell what happens surely when they take someone into custody who is that drunk before you lock him up you would have a doctor give him a checkup and how drunk he was, and maybe take a blood sample? Yes I know we are in Thailand, 

6 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Most people are not "Normal".  If someone is not depressed or does not suffer from depression, getting drunk will not make them suicidal... however, if someone is depressed and does suffer from depression, alcohol can make it worse and the result could be suicidal.  Some of what was quoted... I did get the impression that he could have been (I cannot point to specifics, just the feeling I got when piecing together it)... that said... it is just as likely (or more) it could be jailhouse negligence (and associated cover up) or malfeasance that could have lead to his death.  That said, I think we have wait for what should be an independent autopsy and viewing of the video.  The police unfortunately do not have a good record with honest professional ethical behaviour here in Thailand.  (not saying all, but way too many and the system itself is corrupting)

I agree with  everything you said. Except your opening line.  Surely the definition of "normal" implies fitting in with a set of parameters that are common to the majority of people, so most people, ie the majority of people would by definition  be "normal."   Whilst some people do suffer from depression I don't think it applies to most, and certainly most people are not suicidal even when drunk. It might sound a bit harsh but manic depressives are not "normal"

If that was the case there would be a lot more drunken suicides. I'm having trouble expressing myself here but I hope you know what I mean, Maybe if you had said "everybody is not normal" it would make more sense to me

Just like you I have a feeling about this story, something is not right, maybe it's because I don't consider those with tattooed faces to be "normal" for a start and being so out of control and accosting others at 5am in the morning is not what I'd consider normal either

At the end of the day we will just have to wait and see, but we  will probably end up none the wiser

• Thumbs Up 1

Everytime some guy takes his own live out they come........."The police did it".........Wasn't exactly you everyday normal joe was he?

He'd have been taken to the Croc farm and never seen again and we would be told he was realeased if the police had something to hide.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Police say they went out for lunch at 11.30am and when they returned, Winder had hanged himself.

What time did they come back? How many is 'They' 2 or 5 or what ? Just leave the place unattended, something smells like a coverup to me. What if there had been a fire? 

• Confused 1

RIP mate ????

So, the guy was murdered. Is this the inference or assumption by the G/F?

Why would a policeman/men hang a person, or give a person means to hang themselves deliberately?

Granted in some nations all mechanisms to harm self is removed and a constant watch is always maintained on vulnerable people e.g Inebriated Indigenous folks taken into custody in Australia (and where failures to constantly monitor has led to many self-harm deaths in custody).

It is difficult and extremely painful to consider that someone we love might deliberately harm themselves. This 'survivor/left behind' response in such types of deaths is not uncommon.

In trying to make sense of such a death, others often look for a reasoning that denies the possibility someone might actually take their own life. 

The 'duty of care' is of course present when anyone is held in custody but here in LOS it is not held in the same focus as in our home nations.

Edited by Tropposurfer

14 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Why would a policeman/men hang a person, or give a person means to hang themselves deliberately?

Granted in some nations all mechanisms to harm self is removed and a constant watch is always maintained on vulnerable people e.g Inebriated Indigenous folks taken into custody in Australia (and where failures to constantly monitor has led to many self-harm deaths in custody).

In Thailand, causing loss of face could lead to extreme reactions... like vomiting on an officer and his subordinates laughing at him.   In the case of negligence it could be choking/suffocating on vomit... and associated cover up.  Or it could be just suicide by the individual.  Either case if it is negligence or malfeasance... I think it more likely it is a combination with the hanging being a cover up.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

In Thailand, causing loss of face could lead to extreme reactions... like vomiting on an officer and his subordinates laughing at him.   In the case of negligence it could be chocking/suffocating on vomit... and associated cover up.  Or it could be just suicide by the individual.  Either case if it is negligence or malfeasance... I think it more likely it is a combination with the hanging being a cover up.

Duffed him up, threw him in a cell half conscious, he suffocated in some way, hanging to cover it up.

Seems perfectly plausible.

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I am confused.  you wrote....."The last person to see Warney alive was a massage girl who visited his room."

But According to the OP He hanged himself in police custody so I think the last person to see him alive would have been the police who locked him in his cell

I await your clarification to end my confusion

Referring to Shane Warne death.

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

We don't know him. Forgotten in 2 months. People be guessing about other news items.

8 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Do you really think they are reading TVF? 

Actually, quite possibly - they would be searching the internet for any news and running across this thread.... so yes, it is quite possible they would see it.  If I lost someone close and I did not think I was being told the truth, I would be searching for anything and everything trying to make sense of it.

Too many people come from a first world country to this third world country and expect everything to be the same. There's no cheap medical care of you crash your bike and no policeman who acts like Dixon of Dock Green.

Start swearing at policemen while in a cell and you risk getting "sorted". Like others I find it hard to ignore as a suicide. Whether they will ever find complete CCTV of the incident is hard to say but I hope they do so that his family will know either way and get some closure. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1